Hungary Stripped of Hosting EU Meeting Over Ukraine Stance

Social Media

43 minutes ago, RayC said:

Borrell is not the Emperor of Europe. His official title is 'High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy'. He is quite important.

Von der Liayen (sic) is not Queen of Europe; she is President of the European Commission which makes her quite important as well.

Wow, who might thoughts they do have titles! 

2-in-1: Foreign affairs and Security policy same time same person. Even in Zambia and Poland these are 2 different positions, but Borrel can maintain both simultaneously. Magic!

And regarding the Queen - she is omnipresent just like almighty - every meeting, every deal (even COVOD-19 vaccine order) have to pass though her approval and control. 

No wonder Brexit happened and now we anticipate Frexit and other big donors of EU. 

Happy to live Thailand!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, RayC said:

The other 27 member states might well feel the same way as you. Unfortunately there is no mechanism for removing member states from the EU.

That sucks! They ought to implement one then!

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, pacovl46 said:

That sucks! They ought to implement one then!

Won't/ can't happen.

Although another poster correctly pointing out that majority voting does exist in the EU, this only applies in certain areas. Where treaty changes are concerned- such as here - unanimity is required i.e. Hungary could (and would) veto any such proposal. 

Bottom line: The EU is stuck with Hungary.

On 7/25/2024 at 8:46 AM, bendejo said:

Looks like the Putin/MAGA trolls aren't awake yet.

On 7/25/2024 at 9:01 AM, JonnyF said:

The EU really is becoming quite fascistic. 

Maybe they should make it clear upon joining that all member states must share the same political opinions as Von Der Leyen or face Zee Consequences.

They don't wake up until  9:00AM

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, NativeBob said:

There you go. You live and learn!

2-in-1: Foreign affairs and Security policy same time same person. Even in Zambia and Poland these are 2 different positions, but Borrel can maintain both simultaneously. Magic!

Presumably the heads of government of the 27 member states believe this to be the best arrangement and have faith in Borrel's ability. 

I know nothing about Zambia's political framework and little about Poland's other than its' position within the EU. However, I don't understand what either nations' domestic political structure has to do with Borel?

And regarding the Queen - she is omnipresent just like almighty - every meeting, every deal (even COVOD-19 vaccine order) have to pass though her approval and control. 

Which Queen? If you are referring to Von Der Leyen, I have already explained that she is not a Queen; she is President of the European Commission.

Rather than fight amongst themselves for COVID vaccines, the governments of the 27 EU member states decided to delegate responsibility for their procurement to the European Commission i.e. VDL was acting on behalf of the 27 member states. They could have revoked her mandate at any point if they wished. 

You do not seem to understand the structure of the EU or the  relationship between the various EU institutions. There are many websites which offer explanations to varying degrees of detail.

No wonder Brexit happened and now we anticipate Frexit and other big donors of EU. 

I very much doubt that an objection to the EU's Foreign and Security portfolio played much of a part in the UK electorate's decision to vote 'Leave': COVID happened after the UK referendum on EU membership, so the EU's position on that issue definitely wasn't a factor in the result.

The only EU state where public support for EU membership is <50% is Greece: Brexit, Nexit or any other ..xit isn't going to happen any time soon.

Happy to live Thailand!

I'm pleased that you are enjoying life in Thailand.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, RayC said:

The EU is stuck with Hungary.

@RayC please get some humor, we are not at some official meetup. 

Edited by NativeBob
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, NativeBob said:

Happy to live Thailand!

Better to not talk about things you have no clue about.

35 minutes ago, NativeBob said:

@RayC please get some humor, we are not at some official meetup. 

Bob, We are discussing a serious subject so why not be serious about It?

Anyway, it is just as well we are not at some official meet-up as I'm sitting here in my string vest and Y-fronts😁

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, RayC said:

Anyway, it is just as well we are not at some official meet-up as I'm sitting here in my string vest and Y-fronts😁

Naughty-naughty 😉 

Thank you for being cool headed and polite. I enjoyed appreciate that.

Regards and have a good day evening!

Edited by NativeBob
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NativeBob said:

Happy to live Thailand!

The idea of Frexit has been buried in 2017, after observing the mess caused by the Brexit decision.😅

As to the rest of your post (and your previous posts), it reflect your ignorance of EU institutions, scope, and how the EU works,

Edited by candide

On 7/26/2024 at 11:23 PM, stevenl said:

By fascist I mean restricting free press even more and limiting the independent judiciary.

Well it's the lefties that have IMO been attempting to limit free speech, so does that make them fascists?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 7/26/2024 at 9:47 AM, john donson said:

does he not try to stop unlimited invasion of economical refugees of a non compatible religion and life style ?

Hungary has just opened its borders to Russian and Belarus workers. You said they're trying to stop economical refugees?

1 hour ago, nakhonandy said:

It appears that Orban would rather be part of the Soviet block if it still existed. He seems to object to the majority of what the EU represents. 

Opening up to Russian and Belarus workers tends to support that.

Urban only seems to enjoy the financial benefits of the EU, he ought to realise that being part of a club and accepting financial support from said club carries responsibilities. 

Actually, a lot of Hungarians have left the country to work abroad, so there is a enduring shortage of manpower

1 hour ago, candide said:

Actually, a lot of Hungarians have left the country to work abroad, so there is a enduring shortage of manpower

So open to Thailand, Indonesia, Philippines, etc.. It's no coincidence they're opening to Russia and Belarus.

• Haha 1

On 7/28/2024 at 8:36 AM, candide said:

Fair enough. 

However I would hazard a guess that they are the only country in the EU opening up to Russia and Belarus workers. 

9 minutes ago, nakhonandy said:

Fair enough. 

However I would hazard a guess that they are the only country in the EU opening up to Russia and Belarus workers. 

I was not defending Hungary. I was just highlighting that it was an important source of immigration to other EU country.

16 minutes ago, candide said:

I was not defending Hungary. I was just highlighting that it was an important source of immigration to other EU country.

I didn't think you were.

As it's probably one of the low wage countries of the EU I'm not surprised they go elsewhere for work, nor do I blame them.

I would imagine them opening their borders to Russia and Belarus doesn't please Brussel too much.

• Agree 1