Whistleblower behind Dujardin video wants to 'save dressage'

CharlieH

image.png

The whistleblower who released a video that appears to show Charlotte Dujardin "excessively" whipping a horse during a training session did so in a bid to "save dressage", says her lawyer.

Britain's Dujardin, a six-time Olympic dressage medallist, withdrew from the Paris Games on Tuesday after the video emerged, saying it showed her "making an error of judgement".

The video, obtained by the BBC, shows Dujardin repeatedly whipping a horse around its legs during the session.

After her withdrawal from the Olympics, the 39-year-old was provisionally suspended by equestrian's governing body the FEI, which received the footage on Monday.

Dujardin said in a statement: "What happened was completely out of character and does not reflect how I train my horses or coach my pupils, however there is no excuse.

"I am deeply ashamed and should have set a better example in that moment."

Speaking to BBC Sport, the whistleblower's lawyer, Stephan Wensing, said his client had mixed feelings about the reaction since the news broke, but she believed it is a widespread issue in dressage.

"It's not fun to ruin a career. She's not celebrating; she doesn't feel like a hero," he said.

"But she told me this morning this had to be done because she wants to save dressage."

sPORT-bbc.png