Android TV Box

KannikaP

Can't find IT & Computers, but someone will move this.

After 3 years of using an Amazon Firestick, basic version, for IPTV and Radio, I decided to treat myself to a new one, deciding on the Xaomei Mi S from Shopee @ BHT 1750. It arrived yesterday.

With excitement I plugged it into my 4k Samsung TV and tried a few things from the pre-set You Tube etc. Very good picture and excellent sound thru soundbar.

THEN I went to Google Play Store to get Downloader. Not available, so loaded it from a copy i had on a USB stick. Installed my IPTV apps which worked OK.

Go to Play Store to get BBC Sounds, iPlayer, UKTV (now simply U), Classic FM, LBC radio, Caroline Flashback, none of which were available or not supported by my device but all of which installed perfectly on the F Stick.

Started a 4K movie, which plays OK, but NO PAUSE Button on the remote. No settings to uninstall app have I found yet, and the printing on the book is too small to read.

It's going back, to be replaced with the newest Firestick.

Anyone else had problems with Mi S ?

You need to buy an IPTV yearly membership that has like 20-25,000 channels from all over the world at a a cost of

as little as 1,500 baht a year and you will have access to any tipe of entertainment you can wish for,
I'm sure that some members will recommend a few, or look at Lazada there are plenty of them and the're easy

to instal but providing you have good internet speed otherwise you'll get connectivity issues...

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Can't find IT & Computers, but someone will move this.

After 3 years of using an Amazon Firestick, basic version, for IPTV and Radio, I decided to treat myself to a new one, deciding on the Xaomei Mi S from Shopee @ BHT 1750. It arrived yesterday.

With excitement I plugged it into my 4k Samsung TV and tried a few things from the pre-set You Tube etc. Very good picture and excellent sound thru soundbar.

THEN I went to Google Play Store to get Downloader. Not available, so loaded it from a copy i had on a USB stick. Installed my IPTV apps which worked OK.

Go to Play Store to get BBC Sounds, iPlayer, UKTV (now simply U), Classic FM, LBC radio, Caroline Flashback, none of which were available or not supported by my device but all of which installed perfectly on the F Stick.

Started a 4K movie, which plays OK, but NO PAUSE Button on the remote. No settings to uninstall app have I found yet, and the printing on the book is too small to read.

It's going back, to be replaced with the newest Firestick.

Anyone else had problems with Mi S ?

Did you set your Google Play country setting to U.K.?

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Better to use an old smartphone, much faster, can load any app, all of playstore, far more memory than a box, easy to control, no remote nonsense

Seems no one agrees with you; 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

9 minutes ago, NowNow said:

Seems no one agrees with you; 

I don't agree with most of those comments, works perfectly for me using Xiaomi Redmi Note 9, a lot of the cheap boxes people buy are junk with much lower spec

• Sad 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

i had one and a minix air mouse, both inferior to using a smartphone 

Minix inferior!....ridiculous  statement from you.   And your claim that your Chinese smartphone is superior to minix for viewing, is just utter nonsense. 

Edited by Raindancer
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

11 minutes ago, NowNow said:

Nonsense 😊

You assert that 'those people' bought "junk". Where is your evidence for that and in what function do you claim your old Smartphone is superior? How about HDR10+, Dolby Digital 5.1? You know...the things that the cheap boxes can handle? 

Then to your claim that your old Smartphone having far more memory.....64GB 3GB RAM, 64GB 4GB RAM, 128GB 4GB RAM, 128GB 6GB RAM are the possible configurations of your smartphone. Most cheap boxes go up to 128GB 4GB RAM, so where does the "far more memory" come into it?

It suits my purposes perfectly, i watch golf for a few hours 3 or 4 days a week, and a movie or series each night, works perfectly, you don't like it, I couldn't care less

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

It suits my purposes perfectly, i watch golf for a few hours 3 or 4 days a week, and a movie or series each night, works perfectly, you don't like it, I couldn't care less

😊

So just for basic usage and not superior in any way. So what was the point of just making up all that nonsense and then getting stroppy when challenged?

• Confused 2
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Raindancer said:

Minix inferior!....rubbish statement from you.   And your claim that your Chinese smartphone is superior to minix for viewing, is just utter nonsense. 

like i said, if you don't like it or it doesn't suit you i couldn't care less, you're probably a child watching TV all day

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, NowNow said:

😊

So just for basic usage and not superior in any way. So what was the point of just making up all that nonsense and then getting stroppy when challenged?

you're getting all defensive, hurt feelings over a box, grow up and go outside more, meet people, you're probably on the spectrum 

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

like i said, if you don't like it or it doesn't suit you i couldn't care less, you're probably a child watching TV all day

What a sad nasty comment.  You are obviously a sociopathic narcissist who does not like being challenged.

• Confused 2
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Raindancer said:

What a sad nasty comment.  You are obviously a sociopathic narcissist who does not like being challenged.

Get out more, stop watching all that TV it's not doing you any good, meet up with the other on the spectrum boy nownow

• Sad 2
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, ezzra said:

You need to buy an IPTV yearly membership that has like 20-25,000 channels from all over the world at a a cost of

as little as 1,500 baht a year and you will have access to any tipe of entertainment you can wish for,
I'm sure that some members will recommend a few, or look at Lazada there are plenty of them and the're easy

to instal but providing you have good internet speed otherwise you'll get connectivity issues...

Why, an Englishnan retired in Thailand, would I want/need 25000 TV channels. I will be dead before I have previewed them all.

A bit like VPNs which advertise 6000 locations. I want ONE, UK!

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, ezzra said:

I pay GBP 50 a year, = Bht 2300 for any TYPE of entertainment I need.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Better to use an old smartphone, much faster, can load any app, all of playstore, far more memory than a box, easy to control, no remote nonsense

And Miracast it to the Firestick?

15 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I don't watch TV at all 😊 I sometimes think about doing so, but don't quite get around to switching it on.

But, moving on from your childish snipe, you might have just written that you use an old Smartphone as an alternative...without all the extra hyperbole. That way interested parties, say people with old Smartphones, might ask questions in order to find out more details. Possibly following your lead. No point in making claims for no good reason.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, NowNow said:

I don't watch TV at all 😊 I sometimes think about doing so, but don't quite get around to switching it on.

But, moving on from your childish snipe, you might have just written that you use an old Smartphone as an alternative...without all the extra hyperbole. That way interested parties, say people with old Smartphones, might ask questions in order to find out more details. Possibly following your lead. No point in making claims for no good reason.

You might be better turning the TV on now and then, loads of educational  documentaries, movies & series. Just watched Einstein in 4K...very interesting.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Why, an Englishnan retired in Thailand, would I want/need 25000 TV channels. I will be dead before I have previewed them all.

A bit like VPNs which advertise 6000 locations. I want ONE, UK!

Quite right, i have 6 apps on my phone which provide all the TV i want for free, movies, series, sport

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

You might be better turning the TV on now and then, loads of educational  documentaries, movies & series. Just watched Einstein in 4K...very interesting.

I can imagine. But the time just goes doing other things.

48 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

No need for a Firestick if using a smartphone 

So you are suggesting I watch telly on my phone?

Imho IPTV subscription is the way to go.  They are fairly cheap (3500 baht/year) and provide a lot channels from many countries.  I mostly watch sports, and the one I have is good for that. Can watch on tv, laptop, and phone. Try to get a provider that has fast tech support with the subscription.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, NowNow said:

Perhaps hunt down the .apk and sideload them.

Too late, Flash are picking it up tomorrow. The lack of Pause button clinched the return. To pause a movie one must click the big Select button which then shows the transport controls, scroll down to the II symbol, click Select again. Firestick has II on the remote.

Edited by KannikaP

4 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

So you are suggesting I watch telly on my phone?

No, the apps are on the smartphone, you cast the movies series sport from smartphone to TV via wifi. If you have a spare phone try it, nothing to lose

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Thanks 1