H I guys.

I went to immigration today to change from old passport to new.

I am on a 30 extension of 30 visa exempt entry. 

The girl at the information desk said the stamp can't be transferred and I have to go out by airport only.

I've just been to a visa agent who said I could get it done in changwatanna. 

My plan was a border run next but according to the lady at immigration I must go by air.

Any input guys?

Thanks

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Daithi85 said:

H I guys.

I went to immigration today to change from old passport to new.

I am on a 30 extension of 30 visa exempt entry. 

The girl at the information desk said the stamp can't be transferred and I have to go out by airport only.

I've just been to a visa agent who said I could get it done in changwatanna. 

My plan was a border run next but according to the lady at immigration I must go by air.

Any input guys?

Thanks

Not my area of expertise, but I don't see any reason why a land border bounce would not be doable. You'd use both passports for the exit, they might make some notation in the new passport referencing the 30-day extension, but you would get stamped out, get an exit stamp, in the new passport, I assume. They would also likely do a pairing in their computer system,  tying your entry/exit history of the expired passport to the new passport number. Then on the 'come back in' you'd be using the new passport.

If that pairing of the history of your expired passport to the new one is not doable at a land border, that might be the reason you were advised to depart by air. It's done at the airport, have had that experience before.

Hang on, someone who's had the same situation may come here and offer their experience.

• Like 1

you are not allowed to change passports at a land border ie changing from a USA passport to a UK passport, so maybe its the same with a replacement passport. whereas you can at an airport border

1 minute ago, steve187 said:

you are not allowed to change passports at a land border ie changing from a USA passport to a UK passport, so maybe its the same with a replacement passport. whereas you can at an airport border

The passport country stays the same .

Old Irish passport to new Irish passport. 

3 hours ago, Daithi85 said:

The passport country stays the same .

Old Irish passport to new Irish passport. 

take both passports<
Since ur OLD passport is now cancelled , you will be stamped out on ur new one, they will make a note of it as well in the new one>
come back with a 60 day visa exempt on new passport 
I'd avoid Poi Pet
Go to Laos

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

take both passports<
Since ur OLD passport is now cancelled , you will be stamped out on ur new one, they will make a note of it as well in the new one>
come back with a 60 day visa exempt on new passport 
I'd avoid Poi Pet
Go to Laos

Thank you.

The lady at the information desk at jomtien today told me I can only leave by air no land crossings.

4 hours ago, Daithi85 said:

Any input guys?

Different rules depending on the Immigration Office.
Within the same Immigration Office, different rules depending on the mood of the Immigration Officer.

Perhaps yours was OTR. 

I had passport-stamps transferred more than once in-Thailand while on Tourist-Visa entries in the past - but maybe it is different on a Visa-Exempt - or this is a new policy?  Either that, or they are fishing for folks to use an agent to do it.  I would check with an agent to see if they can do it and at what cost.

I do recall hearing folks having problems doing stamp-transfers to a new passport at land-borders - unable to leave without going to an immigration office for the stamp-transfer, first.  The last report I recall, several years back, they had to travel to the immigration office in Nong Khai to move the stamps, before crossing into Laos.  It is possible that this office could also refuse, and tell you to go back to the office where the extension was issued.

If an agent cannot get it done, I would fly out to Cambodia or Laos and re-enter by land (not using Poipet to re-enter, of course).

4 hours ago, steve187 said:

Careful with that answer there, they got a new passport and they're trying to swap an old for a new passport from the same country it would appear and that can be done at a land border without any issue at all

Okay if you're on a 30-day Visa exempt entry and you have not extended it yet by 30 more days you could get the stamp moved to the new passport when you do the extension

otherwise you show both passports when you exit the country and they will stamp you out on the new passport and make a notation that you'd entered on the old one

and

you can indeed leave by land and come back in.

You are not trading country passports you are swapping an old passport for a new passport from the same country and that can be done by land

And you cannot get that stamp moved at the main immigration office up here in Bangkok Chaengwattana, Visa exempt entry stamps and extensions are moved at IT Square Laksi Plaza.

If you're just going to bounce out and back for a new free entry talk to one of the agents that run from jomtien, there's one that leaves every day from Queen Vic hotel I believe. They shouldn't have a problem with you bouncing with both passports.

Edited by Tod Daniels
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Tod Daniels said:

Okay if you're on a 30-day Visa exempt entry and you have not extended it yet by 30 more days you could get the stamp moved to the new passport when you do the extension

otherwise you show both passports when you exit the country and they will stamp you out on the new passport and make a notation that you'd entered on the old one

and

you can indeed leave by land and come back in.

You are not trading country passports you are swapping an old passport for a new passport from the same country and that can be done by land

And you cannot get that stamp moved at the main immigration office up here in Bangkok Chaengwattana, Visa exempt entry stamps and extensions are moved at IT Square Laksi Plaza.

If you're just going to bounce out and back for a new free entry talk to one of the agents that run from jomtien, there's one that leaves every day from Queen Vic hotel I believe. They shouldn't have a problem with you bouncing with both passports.

I appreciate your input thank you.

I already got the 30 day extension so I'd of liked to do the border run.

The girl at immigration pointed out that because the corner was cut off my old passport I could now only leave by air.

I will check with the visa run companies. 

Thank u again.

58 minutes ago, Rob Browder said:

I had passport-stamps transferred more than once in-Thailand while on Tourist-Visa entries in the past - but maybe it is different on a Visa-Exempt - or this is a new policy?  Either that, or they are fishing for folks to use an agent to do it.  I would check with an agent to see if they can do it and at what cost.

I do recall hearing folks having problems doing stamp-transfers to a new passport at land-borders - unable to leave without going to an immigration office for the stamp-transfer, first.  The last report I recall, several years back, they had to travel to the immigration office in Nong Khai to move the stamps, before crossing into Laos.  It is possible that this office could also refuse, and tell you to go back to the office where the extension was issued.

If an agent cannot get it done, I would fly out to Cambodia or Laos and re-enter by land (not using Poipet to re-enter, of course).

Yes I don't know what's different this time as I've done it here a few times before no problem. 

I've also changed passports at the immigration at the nongkai border before no problem. 

The only thing slightly different this time is that my embassy gave me a letter for immigration to say that the irish embassy no longer issue letters for change of passport. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Rob Browder said:

Please report back on what they say / what happens when you do it.

I just got 1 reply back from the company I have previously used and they said I need to get it changed at jomtien. 

They said it can't be done at the border.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Daithi85 said:

I just got 1 reply back from the company I have previously used and they said I need to get it changed at jomtien. 

They said it can't be done at the border.

Ok - that is as I remembered - why I always did it at immigration, back in my visa-run days. 

Next, check Manareet Visa Agency or Cambodia Inter Tour & Travel, and see if there is a "fee" option to get it done.  Those are two of the better-priced and long-time agents in town.  They both have Line and Phone with English speakers.

And I just got a reply from a company I messaged up here in Bangkok and this is what they said.

So it can be done it just can't be done at every border every day.

Screenshot_2024-08-01-05-21-31-254-edit_jp.naver.line.android.jpg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tod Daniels said:

And I just got a reply from a company I messaged up here in Bangkok and this is what they said.

So it can be done it just can't be done at every border every day.

Screenshot_2024-08-01-05-21-31-254-edit_jp.naver.line.android.jpg

Thank you so mr Daniels.

I really really appreciate what you have done.

Thank you very much sir.

I apologize for giving you bad information early on, I thought it was a pretty straightforward thing that can be done at all land borders all the time.

Evidently it is not as easy as I remembered.

• Like 1