Hp Pavilion Drivers

Oswulf

Last week I bought a high spec HP Pavilion a6185l PC. Since then I've had nothing but grief.

The computer comes with FreeDOS installed (totally useless, of course), so I installed a legit copy of Windows XP SP2 plus all the drivers available from the HP website. The video driver failed to install, so I was left with a sexy widescreen LCD display in 800x600 mode. Repeated emails to HP failed to resolve the issue. They said it was a hardware problem and I should take the PC in for inspection. I eventually solved the problem myself by loading the drivers directly from NVIDIA (a six hour download, but whatever ...)

Then I needed the Ethernet driver so I could network my new PC ... and they tell me there isn't one available.

I haven't asked them yet about the absence of sound.

HP's support is totally and absolutely f*cking useless.

Should I just return my PC to the store tomorrow? Or does anyone have any suggestions how I can get the missing drivers?

Edited by Oswulf

I assume you've tried the usual uninstall/install of the ethernet device from the windows device manager? I see there are no manufacturers drivers for this on the hp support site which generally means the hardware should work with generic driver shipped with your windows os. If you cant get it sorted, either take it back and get them to sort it out or buy a seperate ethernet card ( not expensive - maybe check that it ships with drivers 555).

Good luck

Malc

There is no driver installed whatsoever - Windows XP SP2 fails to recognise the device.

I can't buy a separate Ethernet card - there's a sticker on the back of the PC that says opening the back invalidates the warranty.

My only slight satisfaction from this whole affair is that they sent me a "Customer Satisfaction Survey"; they scored 0/10 - not that that will make any difference to me.

"Last week I bought a high spec HP Pavilion a6185l PC. Since then ...

Had an identical problem about 2 years ago, when state of the art was HP Pavilion a1152L. For some peculiar reason there were no drivers for that particular model on HP's website. However, there were drivers for a1150L, a1151CL, A1153CL and other models in that neighborhood.

By means of comparing the specs of my model with the specs of the models that were privileged by having drivers, I managed to get it all gathered from HP's website. (Except for the internal cardreader, which works - but is 5 times as slow as an external USB one).

One option is to use Control Panel -> System ->Hardware ->Device Manager. Scroll to the devices and force driver updates, this can 'wake them up'. Furtehr the device manager should identify the devices so you know what kit you are looking for , eg. Intel Sound, Realtek Network etc.. Hope this helps.

Regards

Why don't you simply use their live support service, I had ALL the exact same problems you did - contacted them by their online support (its free) and they fixed it all up for me, including sending me all the correct drivers etc... Fantastic service.

However, In the end I just installed Vista, that was much more satisfactory as it just runs off and gets all the right drivers, I really like Vista.

Makes me wonder if you indeed have an HP system. I mean, with all of the fake Rolex and Citizen watches in Thailand, why not a computer?

A savvy person could build you a piece of sh*t PC, slap on an HP logo, and voila... it's an HP. Not!

Look at the spec sheet that (presumably) came with your PC. List the hardware that is included (i.e. the type of ethernet card, the sound card, video chip set or card, modem, etc).

Had the same problem before. Some models of HP computers are sold only in Thailand without Windows to save on cost. These models have no drivers on the HP support site. However you can find documentation as to what the graphics,audio & ethernet chipsets are.

As others mentioned , then look for similar models with the same hardware.

After several false starts I was able to track down the motherboard manufacturer, and then identify the chip for the Ethernet device. Then I was able to download the appropriate driver.

Support from HP has been pathetic, and the motherboard manufacturer (Asus) doesn't even admit that they manufacture the particular motherboard on their website.

At least Intel's website is helpful.

(As for the suggestions of using HP's chat service - every time I've tried it fails to work.)

Thanks for the advice. Issue resolved.