Wise email asking me to update address?…

I received an email from Wise requesting me to update my address?… Not sure this is a scam email or not…

I did not click on the link but went in to my Wise app and saw not similar notification (Which I think they would have.)… 

In the app I went to my address and see no way to “Update” my address… I just clicked save on the current address on file…

The one thing that worries me is the notice states that mail forwarding addresses are not acceptable!

I’ve been with Wise for years with the same US mail forwarded service address…

I looked at their help section and find no statement that says a mail forwarding address in the US is not acceptable…

Has anyone experienced this?… 

Can I change my resident address with Wise to my Thai address?

Does anyone have a US Wise account with their primary address a Thai address?

IMG_0388.jpeg

Edited by BKKKevin

4 minutes ago, BKKKevin said:

Has anyone experienced this?… 

I had the same request some while ago in the UK.  No big deal.  BTW, you can easily change your address in the app, just click top left and amend in "Personal details"

5 minutes ago, BKKKevin said:

Can I change my resident address with Wise to my Thai address?

No, they will close your account if you are not allegedly "resident" in the country you opened it in.

17 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

I had the same request some while ago in the UK.  No big deal.  BTW, you can easily change your address in the app, just click top left and amend in "Personal details"

Why did they request you update your address?…

Did you have an address that was a mail forwarding service? (Was that not acceptable)

Did you have to provide documentation of your new address?

19 minutes ago, Raindancer said:

If you want to ensure that the email is definitely from Wise, go into your settings > privacy and security and add a communication password/ code.

So, every time they contact you, the communication code will be in their opening address.

Don’t see that option in the apps privacy security section or in notifications section?…

2 minutes ago, BKKKevin said:

Why did they request you update your address?…

Did you have an address that was a mail forwarding service? (Was that not acceptable)

Did you have to provide documentation of your new address?

They did not say why they wanted it.  I simply reconfirmed my existing details,  No documentation, no new address.  Never heard from them again.  I guess they really don't care but need to show they are following the rules in the countries they operate.

2 minutes ago, BKKKevin said:

Don’t see that option in the apps privacy security section or in notifications section?…

Use the Web site, not the app.

That's how I added my communication code.  They will send you a confirmation email, once you have done it. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

They did not say why they wanted it.  I simply reconfirmed my existing details,  No documentation, no new address.  Never heard from them again.  I guess they really don't care but need to show they are following the rules in the countries they operate.

Hopefully that’s it…

As Insaid I went into the app where my address is but didn’t see an “Update” option…

I just hit save and it returned me to the previous page…

16 minutes ago, Raindancer said:

Use the Web site, not the app.

That's how I added my communication code.  They will send you a confirmation email, once you have done it. 

That works!… Thanks it’s a nice security addition

52 minutes ago, BKKKevin said:

The one thing that worries me is the notice states that mail forwarding addresses are not acceptable!

53 minutes ago, BKKKevin said:

I’ve been with Wise for years with the same US mail forwarded service address…

It looks to me as though you have, very clearly, identified the, very obvious, problem, so what's the issue?   Their facility - their rules, and it seems they know you are breaking them.                      

14 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

It looks to me as though you have, very clearly, identified the, very obvious, problem, so what's the issue?   Their facility - their rules, and it seems they know you are breaking them.                      

The issue is how does someone retired in Thailand work around this issue?

I’m asking for advise from others who may have experienced this and how they resolved this short of moving back to the US and having a “residence”…

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, BKKKevin said:

I’m asking for advise from others who may have experienced this and how they resolved this short of moving back to the US and having a “residence”…

My apologies.

9 minutes ago, BKKKevin said:

Perhaps I'm missing something here, but why is this an "issue"? Simply use your Thai address.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, nrasmussen said:

Perhaps I'm missing something here, but why is this an "issue"? Simply use your Thai address.

It’s my understanding that Wise accounts must have an address in the country they are setup in… I could be wrong and if so that would be a solution…

Do you have a US Wise account with a Thai primary address?

Edited by BKKKevin

14 minutes ago, BKKKevin said:

It’s my understanding that Wise accounts must have an address in the country they are setup in… I could be wrong and if so that would be a solution…

Do you have a US Wise account with a Thai primary address?

I originally set up my account while living in Denmark. When I moved to Thailand I changed the address to my Thai address. I don't recall having any issues doing that.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, nrasmussen said:

I originally set up my account while living in Denmark. When I moved to Thailand I changed the address to my Thai address. I don't recall having any issues doing that.

Like that option, bit being from the US and also having a Wise US dollar account attached that has interest income I can't see Wise letting me have the account without a US address for tax reasons...

Maybe I'm over thinking this... Hopefully others from the US will chime in with their experiences..

Hello,

I am a US Citizen living in Thailand continuously since 1998.  I signed up with "Transferwise" (wise.com now) many years ago and used my mail forwarding address in the USA as my "residential address".  In June of this year I got the same email you got, giving me two weeks to get a proper physical, residential address or my account would be closed.  I needed a "Proof of Thai Address" to change my "residence" to where I am in Thailand and the only thing I could come up with was a Bangkok Bank account statement.  But the address on that was in Thai, which won't work.  I went to my local Bangkok Bank and they created for me an English version of the address and printed out an official bank statement, stamped and signed by the bank.  Wise.com accepted that proof of residence and now I have a verified English language address in Thailand which Wise.com uses.

That does mean there are certain stocks in the USA I can no longer buy and I cannot take advantage of Wise's interest bearing account, but all is well.

I think that Wise are victims of "Know Your Customer" that the USA is requiring these days.  Go ahead and find out what you have with an English language version of your Thailand physical address and see if Wise will accept that.

By the way, I was not able to edit my address myself, it was locked.  I had to go through verification by sending the bank letter to Wise.com for them to approve the address, and then they changed the address (which is locked again now).

Edited by mojaco
spelling, clarification
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, BKKKevin said:

Many expats use the residential address of a trusted friend or relative for that purpose.

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Caldera said:

Many expats use the residential address of a trusted friend or relative for that purpose.

Yeah, That is an option…

Sadly I’ve led such a healthy life I’ve outlived most all of them ;-)…

Edited by BKKKevin

Been using Wise for a while. Today, out of the blue, before I could make a transfer, Wise asked for a photo of my passport then a selfie to compare. A downloaded photo is not acceptable.

I have hesrtated to do this. Does it sound safe? Never asked before