Tablet vs 2-in-1 laptop: Which is better ?

steph83

Hi, my daughter study in university about hospitality and Tourism. She needs a portable solution to use Windows office application. Could tell me what is the best solution between a tablet with a keyboard or a 2-1 computer for a tight budget ?

Could you advice me a model ?

Thanks for your advice

Edited by steph83

26 minutes ago, steph83 said:

Hi, my daughter study in university about hospitality and Tourism. She needs a portable solution to use Windows office application. Could tell me what is the best solution between a tablet with a keyboard or a 2-1 computer for a tight budget ?

Thanks for your advice

Check with the university as they might have minimum requirements if students are expected to work on large spreadsheets

I know someone that runs ms office fine on a 2021 IPAD with keyboard and mouse

I think they start around B10K here for a 64GB

not sure why you would want a 2-1 laptop over a normal laptop as the 2-1 will be more expensive

• Like 1

I agree with @vinny41, but I would go further and ask a lecturer or course faciliator what brand, model, extra RAM etc. they suggest for students. There should be a course handout suggesting books, computers etc.

There may even be discounts from suppliers.

Best for all students and teachers if everyone has the same laptop and version of Windows.

Edited by carlyai
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, carlyai said:

Best for all students and teachers if everyone has the same laptop and version of Windows.

Don't agree about the same make of PC, but all running the latest updated W11 would help them all.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, steph83 said:

Thanks for your advice

Make sure it has spelling and grammar checker installed.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Don't agree about the same make of PC, but all running the latest updated W11 would help them all.

I've run workshops using big apps (like photoshop etc) and initially it's better (easier) if all students are using the same methods and use the same keystrokes to access servers and files etc. 

1 minute ago, carlyai said:

I've run workshops using big apps (like photoshop etc) and initially it's better (easier) if all students are using the same methods and use the same keystrokes to access servers and files etc. 

Most Windows PCs have the same keyboard strokes if using the same software, no matter what the actual make of the PC or laptop.

18 hours ago, vinny41 said:

not sure why you would want a 2-1 laptop over a normal laptop as the 2-1 will be more expensive

Using it as a tablet would likely be easier and more convenient during lectures etc.

Using it as a laptop would likely be better when doing work at home or in a cafe etc.

I believe that a pure laptop is easier if parts and hardware need to be upgraded, as opposed to a 2-in-1. 

Microsoft have had their own 2-in-1 machines out for around a decade. 

14 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

Using it as a tablet would likely be easier and more convenient during lectures etc.

Using it as a laptop would likely be better when doing work at home or in a cafe etc.

I believe that a pure laptop is easier if parts and hardware need to be upgraded, as opposed to a 2-in-1. 

Microsoft have had their own 2-in-1 machines out for around a decade. 

I've had a 2 in 1 but disappointing.

Had trouble with the locking mechanism when changing between laptop and ipad. I wouldn't recommend one.

If I were starting my degree again I would have a course recommended laptop and at home a dual screen PC for those large spreadsheet or other projects.

One thing about a spell and grammer checker is to not use it for the first drafts, but only on the final version.

First drafts you want to get the content down and not have to worry about the mechanics of the language. Stopping to correct spelling or grammer repeatedly inhibits your content thought. Check the mechanics of the language after the content has been keyboarded.

• Like 1