a question about 'period of consideration'

Hello all,

I have a question that I would really appreciate an answer to if anyone can. Here is my scenario

I have been teaching here in Thailand a long time. I have full teaching licence...so paperwork should not  be an issue. I resigned from my fulltime job (fully legal work permit etc) at the end of July. The company I worked for generously gave me a letter stating that I would be with them till July 31st ( I was with them till 14th)....Ok, so on the 26th of July I exited Thailand, went to Cambodia and got a...'visa on arrival' I guess that gives me 30 days. Obviously the next step is for my new company to provide me with the paperwork to go to Laos before August 26 to apply for NON B.....

Now, here is the question. My father is sick...I mean, this might be my last time with him. What I am concerned about is what happens to the 'process' if I leave Thailand in the October school break? I know I can get a re entry permit, and that will make the visa NOT get cancelled....However, I seem to remember the last company I worked for insisting that everyone finished the process of obtaining a work permit etc BEFORE they exited Thailand. Will the 'period of consideration' need to start again if I leave? I get that the visa would not be cancelled with the re entry permit. Do I really need to tell this company they MUST get me the work permit BEFORE I leave? 

I hope I have given a clear outline of my scenario. I would really appreciate some advice.

Thanks 

I think you have some of your wires crossed. Either that or I'm mis-remembering what you posted

You needed to go to the immigration office and CANCEL your current extension BEFORE you left the country (just stamping out on it doesn't cancel an extension) You should have taken that paperwork from your old employer to the immigration office, cancelled the Non-B extension of stay (you weren't on any visa).

The immigration office would have cancelled it effective the date on the paperwork, THEN you could have left the country without an "open extension" in your passport

I guess you bounced out and back to Cambodia and came back into thailand, right? If you did that on the 26th of July you would have gotten stamped in on a FREE entry stamp of 60 days (have you looked at the stamp in your passport?) There is no 30 day visa on arrival for thailand and after the 15th of July everyone entering thailand on free entry stamps gets 60 days not 30

How about you look at the entry stamp you got when you re-entered thailand to see how many days you were really stamped in for?      

Now as far as you going to another country and getting a new Non-B visa, you shouldn't have any issue getting the visa from a nearby thai consulate (watch the processing times and whether you need a booked online appt to get in the gate). You also won't have any issue getting IN to thailand on that new Non-B Visa at all, you'll get stamped in for 90 days 

However when you go for the year extension, and they see you didn't cancel that extension from the previous employer, you can/will have issues and get fined for not following the real rules about how it's supposed to be done.

Also in order for you to apply for the Non-B visa the employer gives you a paper from the Ministry of Labour that states they applied for a work permit for you. THEN you come in, get the work permit issued, wait until you have 30 days or less left on your new 90 day Non-B visa entry stamp and apply for the year extension.

You are correct, getting a re-entry permit will keep your stamp "alive" <- although it will NOT add more time to your current stamp it will let you exit/re-enter and get the same expiration date. As far as the work permit, that's between you and your employer.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have gone through the necessary steps with me previous employer. I will be getting a 'reciept' of work permit cancellation from them this week. Yes, you are right I got 60 days...my bad. I am really most concerned about what happens while my extension is 'under consideration' If all I need is a re entry permit and NOTHING about the process is changed then...ok, that is fine. 

When you apply for the year extension from the initial 90 day Non-B that you will get from a thai consulate, you will get a 30 day under consideration stamp
AND
if you need to leave during that time you need a re-entry permit
BUT
remember that permit will ONLY be valid until the under consideration stamp runs out. <- meaning you need to be back IN country on or before that date to get the year extension inked in

• Love It 1

14 minutes ago, Tod Daniels said:

When you apply for the year extension from the initial 90 day Non-B that you will get from a thai consulate, you will get a 30 day under consideration stamp
AND
if you need to leave during that time you need a re-entry permit
BUT
remember that permit will ONLY be valid until the under consideration stamp runs out. <- meaning you need to be back IN country on or before that date to get the year extension inked in

Right...ok, this is what I wanted to hear. I get the re entry permit does not cancel your...lets say 'proper' visa ( or extension ) but it seemed a bit murky around the period of consideration.....Thanks for taking the time. I would buy you a beer if I could. Cheers!

1 hour ago, Tod Daniels said:

You needed to go to the immigration office and CANCEL your current extension BEFORE you left the country (just stamping out on it doesn't cancel an extension) You should have taken that paperwork from your old employer to the immigration office, cancelled the Non-B extension of stay (you weren't on any visa).

is this new? in 21 years here and working for most of them -- i never did that. i would go to laos and come back on tourist visa, marriage visa even non-b, and never have i ever gone to cancel an extension

13 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

is this new? in 21 years here and working for most of them -- i never did that. i would go to laos and come back on tourist visa, marriage visa even non-b, and never have i ever gone to cancel an extension

I had to do it last week. I was told that if I tried to leave at the border on the last day of my extension without the cancellation stamp, I'd most likely be sent back to Bangkok to get it. 

7 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

I had to do it last week. I was told that if I tried to leave at the border on the last day of my extension without the cancellation stamp, I'd most likely be sent back to Bangkok to get it. 

must be new since 2015... might i ask is that just for non-b?

been a while since i did a border hop. i was... many years ago... at the laos border... told by ugly, nasty immi woman that i needed a letter from my school saying they knew i was leaving. she said that many teachers were doing runners leaving schools without teachers. maybe that was the start of it all. i ended up paying a thai guy in a duplex about 150 meters from the border to take me across in a car. cost me 800 bht

1 minute ago, Pouatchee said:

must be new since 2015... might i ask is that just for non-b?

Don't know about other types but mine was non-b. I retired after extensions for many years in the same job.