Any Experience With Ip Telephony?

asoke21

Hi there,

has anyone experiences in using IP telephony / VoIP in Thailand?

Is european (german) hardware like the Fritz!Box fon working? :o

Or is there similar hardware comercially available?

What DSL service provider is recomended?

Thanks for helping

:D

IP telephony has a hard time in Thailand due to the man in charge owning so much telco stock / co's etc.. There are actually laws in place to restrict it and I hear that by using VoIP you actually become a telco hence need a license.. not a problem for end users but makes it hard to operate in the Thai market.

I use Skype daily and with my ADSL it 'usually' works fine.. The SkypeOut feature to connect to POTS lines is nowhere near as good as the PC to PC calls which can be crystal clear some days.. Certainly a lot better than Net2Phone or other 2 way voice I have used.

I communictaed with the guy that writes the PC tech articles for the Phuket gazette but they have had some warning not to write anything about VoIP for fear of problems with the powers that be !!!!

Few years ago there were even companies selling VoIP Telephones.

The business did not start of because of the low quality and reliability of the service.

Since this all changed and IP telephony seems to be the hit in EU and US, I thougt it also would come back in TH.

Anyway, my Problem is, that I want to be reachable under a german telNo, for a low cost.

I have been using Sipphone. The Sipphone application is free and allows for free calls between computers (both Mac and PC) and 800 numbers in the USA. Calls to normal phones in the USA (from anywhere) cost 2.8 cents/minute right now, and the quality is great.