Marriage Visa - Proof of Income

26 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

You totally missed the purpose of my post as well. It was to point out that it differ a lot depending on which office you are connected to. First you also write that only embassy income letter are accepted as proof. Not at all offices, as that differ a lot as well

No.

The OP was/is planning to obtain non O in Thailand.

The income method will Not be possible for application for non O nor 12 month extension of permission of stay. 

Read the thread with attention to detail.

The OP does not even possess Thai bank account.

He cannot provide 12 months of transfers and being Oz cannot provide embassy income letter.

End of 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Look! Again, we are pointing out the perfect terminology.

No, it's the correct terminology.

If you're asking a question or looking for advice on a forum, how can you expect to get the correct advice when using terms such as 'retirement visa'.

What is a 'retirement visa'?

A valid single entry Non Imm O visa.
A valid multi entry Non Imm O visa.
A valid multi entry Non Imm O-A visa.

A 1 year extension of stay permit.

For those with knowledge of Thai Immigration, it's frustrating and time-consuming to then establish exactly what an OP's Immigration status is, in order to give a correct answer.

Just read back in this topic to find the misinformation posted because folk misinterpreted the meaning of a 'marriage visa' and wrongly assumed and gave replies referring to requirements for a 1 year extension of stay.

15 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

You totally missed the purpose of my post as well. It was to point out that it differ a lot depending on which office you are connected to. First you also write that only embassy income letter are accepted as proof. Not at all offices, as that differ a lot as well. You people can stop with generalizing as that is not working at all in Thailand. Just because it stands as a rule somewhere, does not mean it works like that in all places.

You've missed the point of the topic.

The OP is married to a Thai and intended to enter visa exempt, then take the courses of applying to change his Immigration status from entry as a 'Tourist' to that of a 'Non Immigrant' (Non O) by using the income method of monthly overseas transfers.

IO's in this respect do not differ and follow the same procedure.

It's a choice of either an Embassy Income letter as proof of income (which the OP can't obtain), or 400K funds deposit in a Thai bank.

On 8/16/2024 at 9:24 AM, Liquorice said:

For the Embassy Income letter you apply at the Norwegian Embassy in Bangkok.

There is no Norwegian Embassy in Norway, only a Thai Embassy, where you could apply for an initial visa type with which to enter Thailand.

You can't extend a visa, you extend the 90-day permission of stay, which is a permit, not a visa.

You can apply for either a 1 year extension of your period of stay based on either Thai spouse, or retirement subject to the income stated on the Embassy letter.

Immigration may request proof of your stated pension income.

You didn't answer my question.

And please, don't explain to me what a visa or an extension is. I didn't even use the terms wrong.. I've been doing this for decades. Most people on this forum knows the difference. The explanation is not needed.

I know the process, and yes, of course I know it's not a Norwegian embassy in Norway, I shouldn't have brought the Thai embassy in Norway into the question. The income letter is only written in Bangkok of course.

The highlight of the question was if I could avoid the 800k in bank (or monthly proof) the first year of the extension, with a Norwegian income letter.

I have recently spoken to an experienced visa agent in Pattaya, who told me I can't avoid the 800k the first year, with an income letter at all.

I was thinking surely that must be wrong. That's why I asked here. 

Maybe you can't give me an exact answer, and that's fine.

Thanks anyway.

Edited by thaibreaker
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Liquorice said:

For those with knowledge of Thai Immigration, it's frustrating and time-consuming to then establish exactly what an OP's Immigration status is, in order to give a correct answer.

Just read back in this topic to find the misinformation posted because folk misinterpreted the meaning of a 'marriage visa' and wrongly assumed and gave replies referring to requirements for a 1 year extension of stay.

I really do not think you are the right person to deal with such questions then, as you seem to be very frustrated.

change his Immigration status

So, you simply mean change type of visa, before he do an extension, right? 😉 

IO's in this respect do not differ and follow the same procedure.

It's a choice of either an Embassy Income letter as proof of income (which the OP can't obtain), or 400K funds deposit in a Thai bank.

As I have my IO live in the next block from me, it was a simple question. He told me they will accept bank statements as proof of monthly income for both change to marriage immigration status (type of visa) and extension after that. So, apparently they do differ.

After that, you have the following from another poster that replied to you:

3 hours ago, thaibreaker said:

And please, don't explain to me what a visa or an extension is. I didn't even use the terms wrong.. I've been doing this for decades. Most people on this forum knows the difference. The explanation is not needed.

As @thaibreaker are writing here, is exactly like I wrote, that most of us know and understand what we talk about and mean. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/16/2024 at 9:24 AM, Liquorice said:

For the Embassy Income letter you apply at the Norwegian Embassy in Bangkok.

There is no Norwegian Embassy in Norway, only a Thai Embassy, where you could apply for an initial visa type with which to enter Thailand.

You can't extend a visa, you extend the 90-day permission of stay, which is a permit, not a visa.

You can apply for either a 1 year extension of your period of stay based on either Thai spouse, or retirement subject to the income stated on the Embassy letter.

Immigration may request proof of your stated pension income.

I am sure you are aware of the Non O-A visa (based on retirement) we can apply for in our home country. As far as I know that is a one year visa, not 90 days, that's what I meant when I was referring to applying in my home country (I was thinking the same thing might be available based on marriage). That requires proof of income, or 800k (or equivalent) in a bank in Norway,

I was not sure if you can get the same visa based on marriage, just through the usual 400k or 40k income. That's the background for my first question. Anyway, most unlikely not, and I will be using the route to retirement, not marriage, for security reasons, should my marriage end.

The second question touches the answer I got from the visa agent in Pattaya, who claims I can't avoid the 800k in bank in Thailand (based on retirement) the first year through an income letter from my embassy. 

I think that is wrong, hence my question.

If that is true, what good does the income letter do. I can't see much difference to countries without one.

Edited by thaibreaker

11 minutes ago, thaibreaker said:

I am sure you are aware of the Non O-A visa (based on retirement) we can apply for in our home country. As far as I know that is a one year visa, that's what I meant when I was referring to applying in my home country (I was thinking the same thing might be available based on marriage). That requires proof of income, or 800k in a bank in Norway,

I am not sure if you can get the same visa based on marriage. That's the background for my first question. Anyway, most unlikely I will be using the route to retirement, not marriage, for security reasons, should my marriage end.

You can only get a 90-Day or (possibly) Multiple-Entry (90-days per-entry) Visa in your home country based on being married to a Thai.   The upside is not having to get a Non-O 90-day in Thailand.  The downside is that it may not be permitted to apply for an extension based on Retirement in the 1st year you enter with that visa.

You may ALSO be able to get a 90-day Non-O based on Retirement in your home-country, as contrasted to the 1-year permitted-stay Non-OA Visa (which involves health-insurance).  It varies by Thai embassy whether this is available or not.  With that, you could avoid the need to apply for a 90-day Visa in Thailand, could transition directly to a Retirement-based extension, and COULD (depending on immigration-office policy) use your embassy-letter to get a 1-year extension the 1st year.  I would not rely on an agent to give you correct information on this question.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Rob Browder said:

You can only get a 90-Day or (possibly) Multiple-Entry (90-days per-entry) Visa in your home country based on being married to a Thai.   The upside is not having to get a Non-O 90-day in Thailand.  The downside is that it may not be permitted to apply for an extension based on Retirement in the 1st year you enter with that visa.

You may ALSO be able to get a 90-day Non-O based on Retirement in your home-country, as contrasted to the 1-year permitted-stay Non-OA Visa (which involves health-insurance).  It varies by Thai embassy whether this is available or not.  With that, you could avoid the need to apply for a 90-day Visa in Thailand, could transition directly to a Retirement-based extension, and COULD (depending on immigration-office policy) use your embassy-letter to get a 1-year extension the 1st year.  I would not rely on an agent to give you correct information on this question.

Thanks. Yes, I figured the O-A for a full one year might only apply based on retirement. But you think it might be valid for a year, with multiple 90 days entries based on marriage? I will check that out.

Thanks for your comment.

And yes, the downside of the one year O-A visa, is health insurance, I hear. But that is needed in Thailand, the only thing is that those are cheaper from within Thailand and through Thailand companies.

Agree about the visa agents. They know a lot, but are sometimes wrong too.

I might use an embassy letter the way you described.

Thanks!

Edited by thaibreaker

13 minutes ago, thaibreaker said:

But you think it might be valid for a year, with multiple 90 days entries based on marriage too? I will check that out.

Thanks for your comment.

It is a Non-O Visa based on Thai Family, and some (not all) Thai consulates offer the "Multiple Entry" version for those married to a Thai.  

One can also get this Non-O-ME Visa in Savannakhet Laos, if can show 400K Baht in a Thai bank account for 2 months+.  Many go there to get these to avoid the PITA which immigration make out of a 1-year extension based on marriage, even though the Visa requires having to "border bounce" throughout the year.  

48 minutes ago, thaibreaker said:

I figured the O-A for a full one year might only apply based on retirement. But you think it might be valid for a year, with multiple 90 days entries based on marriage? I will check that out

You so do not understand non O-A 

Yes it's multiple entry. 

Each entry during visa validity will be stamped in for 12 month permission of stay provide you meet insurance requirements.

When visa is expired and you apply for first extension you will need to apply based on retirement.

7 hours ago, thaibreaker said:

The highlight of the question was if I could avoid the 800k in bank (or monthly proof) the first year of the extension, with a Norwegian income letter.

I have recently spoken to an experienced visa agent in Pattaya, who told me I can't avoid the 800k the first year, with an income letter at all.

I was thinking surely that must be wrong. That's why I asked here. 

There is nothing in Immigration orders that states you cannot provide proof of income for the very first extension of stay, provided you can provide evidence of 12 x monthly overseas transfers to cover a one-year period. However, if you're not a UK, US or AUS national Immigration may (as mine does) insist on an Embassy Income letter.

3 hours ago, thaibreaker said:

Thanks. Yes, I figured the O-A for a full one year might only apply based on retirement. But you think it might be valid for a year, with multiple 90 days entries based on marriage? I will check that out.

Thanks for your comment.

The Non O-A visa is applied for purely on the basis of retirement, not marriage.
It's valid for 1 year to enter Thailand, multiple entry, and each entry granting a period of stay for 1 year up to the expiry date of the visa.

You may have an issue thereafter applying for a 1-year extension based on Thai spouse, as the O-A is specifically based on retirement.

2 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

You may have an issue thereafter applying for a 1-year extension based on Thai spouse, as the O-A is specifically based on retirement.

Perhaps not May.

First extension from non O-A will almost certainly needed to be based on retirement.

Subsequent extensions could switch to based on marriage 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

I really do not think you are the right person to deal with such questions then, as you seem to be very frustrated.

The only frustration I have is that folk don't use the correct terminology when asking a question, even though they claim to know the differences.
In can then take several posts to establish the facts.

So, you simply mean change type of visa, before he do an extension, right? 😉 

You can't change a visa if you didn't enter with one in the place.
Visa exempt, is entry without a visa.

Entering as a 'Tourist' VE or TV entry you cannot apply for 1 year extensions, you must have Non Immigrant status.

You can apply for a Non O at Immigration, which merely grants one Non Immigrant status.

As I have my IO live in the next block from me, it was a simple question. He told me they will accept bank statements as proof of monthly income for both change to marriage immigration status (type of visa) and extension after that. So, apparently they do differ.

I think your IO have misunderstood your question and replied regarding a change in the 'reason' for an annual extension.

For the second time, I'll post the financial requirements for applying for the Non O after entering as a Tourist, either VE or TV.

VE-TV-NonOThaispouseP3..png.315556e6b1d527202fdfa26deb7420da.png

There are only 2 options.
Please point out the option accepting monthly overseas transfers to a Thai bank.

17 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

The only frustration I have is that folk don't use the correct terminology when asking a question, even though they claim to know the differences.
In can then take several posts to establish the facts.

Indeed.

Just for the forum. 

Terminology is very important..

It's very frustrating.

I often find myself needing clarification.

It's not being pedantic 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, thaibreaker said:

Thanks for your comment.

You're confusing the Non Imm O multiple entry visa with the Non Imm O-A visa.

Non Immigrant Non O multiple entry Visa.

Can be issued on the basis of retirement (+50) or Thai family/wife.

Valid to enter Thailand for 12 months from the date of issue.

Allows multiple entries of 90 days during the validity of the visa.

The permit of stay can be extended one time on each entry for a further 60 days, for visiting Thai family/wife during the validity of the visa.

You can stay for almost 15 months from a Non Imm O ME visa based on retirement, or 17 months with an additional 60 day extension based on Thai family/wife.

Non Immigrant O-A multiple entry Visa. (Long stay)

Only issued on the basis of retirement. (+50)

Valid to enter Thailand for 12 months from the date of issue.

Allows multiple entries of 1 year during the validity of the visa.

If you exit and re-enter just before the 'enter before date' of this Visa type you will be granted a further 1 year permission of stay. You will however require a re-entry permit if you intend to leave and re-enter during this 2nd year permission of stay period. This because when the Visa expires on the 'enter before' date so does the multiple entry allowance, which is only valid for the duration of the Visas validity (1 year).

4 hours ago, thaibreaker said:

And yes, the downside of the one year O-A visa, is health insurance, I hear. But that is needed in Thailand, the only thing is that those are cheaper from within Thailand and through Thailand companies.

You cannot obtain the Non Imm O-A visa within Thailand, only from a Country of which you are a national, or have permanent residency.

15 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Indeed.

Just for the forum. 

Terminology is very important..

It's very frustrating.

I often find myself needing clarification.

It's not being pedantic 

Thank you, Jack.

As another who attempts to give members the correct advice, you understand the issues and difficulties in providing such information when the term 'retirement visa' or 'marriage visa' are commonly used. Sometimes it may be obvious they are referring to an extension, or a visa, but not always.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Liquorice said:

There are only 2 options.
Please point out the option accepting monthly overseas transfers to a Thai bank.

I don´t have to point it out. You are showing me papers of rules and regulations. How many of all the rules and regulations are bent or broken in different ways of different people? I just know the option in certain places exist. That´s enough for me.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

I don´t have to point it out. You are showing me papers of rules and regulations. How many of all the rules and regulations are bent or broken in different ways of different people? I just know the option in certain places exist. That´s enough for me.

What don't you understand.

The OP cannot use income method.

He is Oz and that embassy does not provide income letter.

On top of that he does not even have a bank account showing 12 months of transfers.

He needs to use money in the bank method.

Furthermore entering visa exempt he will need to open a bank account and that will not be simple.

I met with Maneerat (Pattaya) on Friday and bank account is ~5k with BBL.

The OP is best advised to obtain non O in Australia. With the non O he may be able to open Thai bank account in his name only.

Kasikorn have done this without certificate of residence. 

As soon as he opens bank account he could start monthly transfers 40/65k in preparation for second extension. 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

What don't you understand.

The OP cannot use income method.

He is Oz and that embassy does not provide income letter.

On top of that he does not even have a bank account showing 12 months of transfers.

He needs to use money in the bank method.

Furthermore entering visa exempt he will need to open a bank account and that will not be simple.

I met with Maneerat (Pattaya) on Friday and bank account is ~5k with BBL.

The OP is best advised to obtain non O in Australia. With the non O he may be able to open Thai bank account in his name only.

Kasikorn have done this without certificate of residence. 

As soon as he opens bank account he could start monthly transfers 40/65k in preparation for second extension. 

Yes, I understand all of that. I only talk about what was possible in some places. The other things you have already advised him about.

Over to open a bank account. Also there, people have problems. I have 4 private bank accounts in Thailand. Bangkok Bank, Kasikorn and Siam Commersial and Krungsri, where 3 of them was opened the last 3 years. The last one, this year. All opened without work permit nor certificate of residence. However, COR is not any problem, more than 300-500 baht at immigration. Of course it help if you have a bag of money that you want to deposit at the same time.

10 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Bangkok Bank, Kasikorn and Siam Commersial and Krungsri, where 3 of them was opened the last 3 years.

What! 

Most likely you have extensions from a non O. In other words not tourist status 

The OP does not a non O.

If enters Thailand with visa exempt or tourist visa he will find it difficult to open Thai bank account.

An agent can assist in Pattaya for 5k.

In Bangkok I note Siam legal along with others have stopped this service in recent times. 

27 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

What! 

Most likely you have extensions from a non O. In other words not tourist status 

The OP does not a non O.

If enters Thailand with visa exempt or tourist visa he will find it difficult to open Thai bank account.

An agent can assist in Pattaya for 5k.

In Bangkok I note Siam legal along with others have stopped this service in recent times. 

No need for for agents. Even on a tourist Visa exempt it is in some banks and branches possible to open accounts. I have 5 foreign friends that done it only this year. I have a Non-O extension, that is correct. I also have 49% ownership with A-shares in a multitude of Thai Ltd´s, but this was private accounts.

Edited by Gottfrid

2 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

No need for for agents. Even on a tourist Visa exempt it is in some banks and branches possible to open accounts. I have 5 foreign friends that done it only this year

Which province which bank.

What docs were required..

There are numerous threads on current process to open bank accounts.

Your numerous friends certainly did not open a Thai bank account in Bangkok on visa exempt or tourist visa. 

19 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Which province which bank.

What docs were required..

There are numerous threads on current process to open bank accounts.

Your numerous friends certainly did not open a Thai bank account in Bangkok on visa exempt or tourist visa. 

One of them I know opened in Bangkok, another in Korat, 1 in Ubon, 1 in Rayong. The last one has slipped my mind.

Documents where always passport and COR. Some got it in offices outside Bangkok, The guy in Bangkok and some more got it from embassy. That, as Division 1 do not issue COR to holders of 30 or 60 day permission to stay.

Edited by Gottfrid

10 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

, The guy in Bangkok and some more got it from embassy. That, as Division 1 do not issue COR to holders of 30 or 60 day permission to stay.

The OP is Oz.

Along with UK and USA embassies do not issue address "letters" 

In any event all off topic.

Your chit chat does not assist the OP.

Further posts regarded as off topic.

The OP has been advised to obtain non O in Australia as will assist with bank account.

Other option is agent. 

32 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

The OP is Oz.

Along with UK and USA embassies do not issue address "letters" 

In any event all off topic.

Your chit chat does not assist the OP.

Further posts regarded as off topic.

The OP has been advised to obtain non O in Australia as will assist with bank account.

Other option is agent. 

Ok, understood! Then I would advise the OP to use an agent for the first time, as that is going to be more simple. As the OP asked for monthly, it might be that the person in question do not want to show 400k. For that it can be many reasons. Agents are proven to work fine in most cases. Hope this one was not off topic.

13 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Then I would advise the OP to use an agent for the first time, as that is going to be more simple. As the OP asked for monthly, it might be that the person in question do not want to show 400k. For that it can be many reasons. Agents are proven to work fine in most cases

No.

The OP asked specifically regarding non O marriage.

An agent will not assist with this in regards to financials.

My reference to agent was purely to assist with bank account.

That will allow him to apply for non O based on marriage from visa exempt or tourist visa entry.

He will require 400k in Thai bank account in his name only on day of application.

After under consideration period for extension he can use the funds as required. 

INCOME method for extension not possible regardless if non O obtained in Oz or in Thailand