Where To Have A Full Body Check Up?

DirkGently

I am interested in one of the increasingly popular full health checks, but I have no idea where to go or what to ask for. I'm young enough to not be too worried, but as the price is lower here in Thailand I may as well have things done.

I am not interested in Bumungrad suggestions as that is way too expensive for me (plus i'll be paying for the wife too), but if there is anybody that has good/bad/horror tales to tell about the lower end of the market I would be most grateful.

I have been Kluaynamthai on sukhumvit before and was rather pleased with the service.

In particular I am interested in a liver function test as that is one part of me that has seen some 'action in the trenches' and I noticed something a few weeks ago that made me think :o .

Any advice is welcome!

Dirk!

I am interested in one of the increasingly popular full health checks, but I have no idea where to go or what to ask for. I'm young enough to not be too worried, but as the price is lower here in Thailand I may as well have things done.

I am not interested in Bumungrad suggestions as that is way too expensive for me (plus i'll be paying for the wife too), but if there is anybody that has good/bad/horror tales to tell about the lower end of the market I would be most grateful.

I have been Kluaynamthai on sukhumvit before and was rather pleased with the service.

In particular I am interested in a liver function test as that is one part of me that has seen some 'action in the trenches' and I noticed something a few weeks ago that made me think :o .

Any advice is welcome!

Dirk!

One piece of advice on a liver function or liver enzyme test. If you suspect alcohol as the culprit, you will have to stop drinking completely for at least 2 weeks to get an accurate enzyme reading. That will tell you more than going in while still drinking. Also, if you are taking any kind of statins or other drugs that affect the liver, you won't get an accurate reading. In any event, the doctor can take the blood tests, but will tell you to come back after stopping all the influences for two weeks for another blood test. If you want to get the baseline, better to stop everything for two weeks before the blood tests first.

BNH Hospital has a good check up program.

Thank you both.

In answer to my own question, I came across this from Kluaynamthai website. Most of it is in Thai but we can work it out from the English in brackets.

Is this a good deal? Is this a full or close to full check up?

โปรแกรมที่ 2 กลุ่มอายุ 31-40 ปี

1. ตรวจร่างกายโดยแพทย์ (Physical Examination)

2. ตรวจความสมบูรณ์ของเม็ดเลือด และเกร็ดเลือด (CBC)

3. ตรวจระดับน้ำตาลในเลือดหาโรคเบาหวาน (FBS)

4. ตรวจระดับไขมันในเลือด (Cholesterol/Triglyceride/HDL/LDL)

5. ตรวจระดับเอนไซม์ของตับ (SGOT/SGPT/Alkaline Phosphatase)

6. ตรวจระบบการทำงานของไต (BUN/Creatinine)

7. ตรวจระดับกรดยูริคเอซิกซึ่งเป็นสาเหตุของโรคเกาต์ (Uric Acid)

8. ตรวจปัสสาวะ (Urine Analysis)

9. ตรวจอุจจาระ (Stool Exam)

10. ตรวจเอ็กซเรย์ทรวงอกเพื่อดูสภาพปอด (Chest X-ray)

11. ตรวจคลื่นไฟฟ้าหัวใจ (EKG)

ราคาปกติ 2,985 บาท ลดเหลือ 2,239 บาท

Thanks once again.

Dirk, for liver you would have to add AST, ALT and lipid set, I think, but if you wait long enough, I know there are a few MDs on this forum who may answer more completely.

Also, depending on your age, you should consider a heart workup besides cholesterol testing.

I recently had a check up at Saint Louis, on Sathorn.

http://www.saintlouis.or.th/program/show_d...p?Package_ID=73

I thought the service was very thorough and professional. Zero pressure to up sell you on anything. I thought the prices were very reasonable, but I’ll admit I haven’t done too many price comparisons.

I’m in my early thirties, in reasonably good shape, and like you thought that while I here I might as well get a check up. Saint Louis has meeting facilities where I regularly attend events. At one of these events (non-medical related) I saw the CEO of the hospital speak and I talked to him after. He’s a priest, so I trust him when he says that St. Louis is a non-profit hospital that operates to high ethical standard. I also met a number of Hi So ‘money no object’ Thai’s that have been going to St. Louis for over 20 years, and had nothing but high praise.

I was in and out in 90 minutes, just like they said. It was well organized and there wasn’t a lot of waiting around. I rarely go to doctors, and don’t really like hospitals, but I was pretty comfortable with the whole experience.

Thanks for the advice. I have been on-line searching for a while too and have found most of what I want. At the moment the BNH Hospital seems to offer everything I want and extras for the misses. It is, however, on the upper range of what I am prepared to spend, which puts St. louis out of reach. Thanks anyway Bangna.

Looking at the BNH site, it actually looks more expensive compared to the check-up I got, but I guess it depends on the test that you need. My reference to the hi so's wasn't that it was expensive, but that even though they could afford to go anywhere, they choose to go there.

Good health.

SGOT/SGPT are the same as ALT/AST and the 4th item on the Kluaynamthai list is a lipid panel, so that package has all that a comparatively young man would need. My only caveat is that if you are over 35 a PSA (marker for prostate cancer) and manula prostate exam would be desirabl;e, and if you are over 40 I would consider it essential. The manual exam might already be part of the physical exam, and no doubt the PSA could be added on (but at cost).

I have had no experience with Kluaynamthai hospital so other than that the content and price look good can't comment. St. Louis's "Young"package is similiar at only 2,100 baht but does not included LDL (only total cholesterol, HDL and trigklyceride), no doubt could get it added on but at cost. Probably would then come out about the same cost as Kluaynamthai. St. Louis I have had some experience with and can vouch for in terms of general quality.

I have found, though, that most of the Thai hospitals -- sole exception so far being Samitivej -- while they do a good job at running the tests and getting the results, tend to be sursory in evaluating the results and too quick to tell the patient all is well. Bumnrunbgrad in particular I have found to miss or skip over important abnormalities. Personally I go to Samitivej as it is the only place that gives enough analysis and thought and time to the interpretation of the results to satisfy me.

Anbyhow, wherever you go...get a printed copy of all the test results and specifically ask about any that are abnormal (usually the result form will show normal values and highlight any abnormalities) and don't be staisfied with a cursory expklanation if there were abnormal results.

Thanks for the advice. I have been on-line searching for a while too and have found most of what I want. At the moment the BNH Hospital seems to offer everything I want and extras for the misses. It is, however, on the upper range of what I am prepared to spend, which puts St. louis out of reach. Thanks anyway Bangna.

St Louis should be much less expensive than BNH. BNH, Bangkok Hospital and Samitivej are all under the same umbrella and have about the same price range (in the Bumrungrad class).

St Louis should be much less expensive than BNH. BNH, Bangkok Hospital and Samitivej are all under the same umbrella and have about the same price range (in the Bumrungrad class).

End of May I did the baht 5,600 physical at Vibhavadi Hospital there on Vibhavadi-Rangsit Road & Ngam Wong Wan.  Seemed pretty good altho they don't normally do the DRE, gotta request it.  There's more info at the url:

http://www.vibhavadi.com/en/events_detail.php?id=21

PROGRAM VP1

1. Physical Examination

2. Dental Examination

3. Laboratory Test

3.1 Complete Blood Count

3.2 Fasting Blood Sugar

3.3 BUN

3.4 Creatinine

3.5 Uric Acid

3.6 SGOT,SGPT,Alkaline Phosphatase Bilirubin, Direct Bilirubin, Total Protein,Albumin,Globulin

3.7 Cholesterol, Triglyceride,HDL,LDL

3.8 AFP/CEA

3.9 PSA

3.10 Urine Examination

3.11 Stool Examination/Occult Blood

4. Thin Prep Pap Test

5.Chest X – ray

6. EKG

7.Ultrasound Whole Abdomen

8.Mammogram both breast

9.Medical Report Book

10. Complimentary

M. 5,600 Baht 147 US Dollars F. 7,500 Baht 197 US Dollars

Mac

Speaking of the DRE (digital rectal exam for prostate, or 'manual method'), I've had 4 or 5 complete physicals which included PSA tests, but never a rectal finger probe. Please, folks, no more jokes about gay doctors and patients. When you're over 40 or especially 60, cancer of the prostate is serious business. Are Thai physicians too shy? Do they think their patients are too shy for a DRE? Or has it been found that the PSA blood test is sufficient to detect early symptoms of cancer?

I'm a rather confused about the issue of price. I checked the current prices as stated on hospital websites. Maybe they have changed recently. I did hear that some of the top hospitals had put their prices up recently.

A lot seems to depend on age. I am in my mid 30's and healthy. It just seems like a good idea to have the all clear.

Speaking of the DRE (digital rectal exam for prostate, or 'manual method'), I've had 4 or 5 complete physicals which included PSA tests, but never a rectal finger probe. Please, folks, no more jokes about gay doctors and patients. When you're over 40 or especially 60, cancer of the prostate is serious business. Are Thai physicians too shy? Do they think their patients are too shy for a DRE? Or has it been found that the PSA blood test is sufficient to detect early symptoms of cancer?

Yes, shy and also assume patients won't want it, but this is NO EXCUSE and any conscientious doc doing a physical on a man over 40 ought to at least recommend it and only refrain if the patient objects.

BTW somewhat the same tendency with breast exams altho a little better. They tend to ask in a very tentative voice and "do you want me to exami ne your breasts", tne very much implying they expect and hope you will say no (this even from female doctors). Not all, but the majority.

Not excusable, tho. It's a doctor's job to do sensitive/embarassing procedures at times and to persuade patients to agree when necessary..not skirt the issue.

The dilemma is, let's face it, these are unpleasant exams to have and it is difficult to force yourself to request them specially. But you should. PSA alone is NOT sufficient.

I'm a rather confused about the issue of price. I checked the current prices as stated on hospital websites. Maybe they have changed recently. I did hear that some of the top hospitals had put their prices up recently.

A lot seems to depend on age. I am in my mid 30's and healthy. It just seems like a good idea to have the all clear.

Dirk,

all of the hospitals offer multiple packages of differing cost based on what is included. Unfortunately they pretty much leave it to the patient to choose rather than giving meaningful guidance on what tests are advisable for a particulalr person.

Based on your age and statement that you are healthy, the package you mentioned at Kluaynamthai would be quite adequate for you, or else the "Young"package at St Louis but with an LDL add on.

Thanks Sheryl, good point, well made. I was looking for a liver test as part of the package as my younger years were spent under the influence. I think (hope) all is fine, but recently I noticed something that may be a sign of wear and tear.

Once agian thanks for all the advice.

Speaking of checkups, I went in to my favorite hospital today to confirm one appointment and get another. While I waited a minute, I got their latest handout, in Thai and English, of checkups. Eleven of them, A through L! Prices range from 530 to 4,260 baht, plus various other services including small and large STD checks. You can also mix and match by adding extra tests that you know you want. Great choices. Majaraj govt. Hospital, Chiang Mai.