Morlam Club In Bkk

foolforlove

OK...

I have been to Tawan Daeng... and Isaan Tuk Ter (pinklao).

I have also been to Darling 16 (on Petchburi road near soi thonglor).

But I am looking for a new place.

Specifically, I have friends who like morlam, but find Tawan Daen and Isaan Tuk Ter "too crowded/busy".

I am looking for a smaller place, but that is still busy enough to be "sanuk".

I had heard once (from a taxi driver) there was a club near Soi 45 or 50 off of Charoenkrung... but he couldnt remember the specific soi. drat.

any ideas would be great!

thanks!

I'll give this a bump. Everybody I know thinks I'm crazy because I love this music and I can't get anyone I know either Thai or farang to go with me to these clubs, but for some unknown reason this catchy music has me.

I'd also be interested to know if anyone knows of any concerts of major morlam sing artists, Jintala, JobJoy, etc., as I would like to attend a concert. I would even be willing to drive or fly to Isaan on some weekend. Yeah, I know...Khon Ba!

I'm also a big lukthung fan. It's really hard if you don't read Thai to find out where the major artists are playing. Drives me nuts because I know that many of them appear at temple fairs during the dry season. If anyone knows where Tai Orrathai might be singing mid-Nov. to early Dec. PLEASE let me know.

I'll give this a bump. Everybody I know thinks I'm crazy because I love this music and I can't get anyone I know either Thai or farang to go with me to these clubs, but for some unknown reason this catchy music has me.

I'd also be interested to know if anyone knows of any concerts of major morlam sing artists, Jintala, JobJoy, etc., as I would like to attend a concert. I would even be willing to drive or fly to Isaan on some weekend. Yeah, I know...Khon Ba!

Hi chinthee!

I'd love to go to a morlam club sometimes! I don't know if I'm as a big of a fan as you are, but I would definitely go at least once to check it out! I've seen some online and I thought it was fun.

<br />I'll give this a bump. Everybody I know thinks I'm crazy because I love this music and I can't get anyone I know either Thai or farang to go with me to these clubs, but for some unknown reason this catchy music has me.<br /><br />I'd also be interested to know if anyone knows of any concerts of major morlam sing artists, Jintala, JobJoy, etc., as I would like to attend a concert. I would even be willing to drive or fly to Isaan on some weekend. Yeah, I know...Khon Ba!<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Loads of this on you tube .

JB

I'm also a big lukthung fan. It's really hard if you don't read Thai to find out where the major artists are playing. Drives me nuts because I know that many of them appear at temple fairs during the dry season. If anyone knows where Tai Orrathai might be singing mid-Nov. to early Dec. PLEASE let me know.

Probably easiest to contact the artists' record label directly. In the case of Dabcharm Oratai that would be GMMSTAR, [email protected] ; 02 669 9191. I'm certain they will share her performance schedule.

Actually, a couple years ago, I did have my secretary call the record label, I think it was grammy, trying to find out Jintala's concert schedule. After getting bounced around, we finally got some sketchy information, but nothing solid. At the same time, I understand that most of the concerts for the famous artists occur at large outdoor "fairs" throughout places in Isaan. Though, I have to believe that once in a while they must come to Bangkok too.

This might be a very interesting type of event to go to, but again, I've been discouraged by local Thais I know. They said there are many low-life and drunk people at these events. However, I like to live dangerously.

I'd still be up to going to something like this if anyone knows the details.

Funny I was thinking about this as I've got a friend in town and wanted to go to a club I've been to. Not so big. Good fun

I asked another friend that took me there and she said it was called Issan Tawan Daeng on Phat Thanakarn. Funny I remember it being on Ramkhamkeng but maybe she's got two confused and maybe I have bad memory (most likley). But Phat Thanakarn is close to Ramkhamkeng so that's the general area.

If someone knows anything more specific let me know before I head off tonight on the search...

Thanks

Funny I was thinking about this as I've got a friend in town and wanted to go to a club I've been to. Not so big. Good fun

I asked another friend that took me there and she said it was called Issan Tawan Daeng on Phat Thanakarn. Funny I remember it being on Ramkhamkeng but maybe she's got two confused and maybe I have bad memory (most likley). But Phat Thanakarn is close to Ramkhamkeng so that's the general area.

If someone knows anything more specific let me know before I head off tonight on the search...

Thanks

Yes, just ask any Isaan taxi driver, they all know the place. But be careful not to confuse it with the German Tawan Daeng. Make sure you say exactly Isaan Tawan Daeng, and ask them if they know the place exactly. Helps if you speak Thai. In the restaurant itself I don't think they speak English, but I've seen some farangs in there that appeared to be tourists before, I'm sure you'll have no trouble. One more thing. you should have a thai friend call first to ensure they have Morlam Sing tonight. They change programs often.

Thanks

Issan Tawan Daeng is at 484 Pattanakarn Road (on the westbound side)

http://www.morlam-luktung.com/faq.html

When asked My Isan friends usually refer to THONBURI CAFE which is near the Mall Ta Pra shopping cnetre, same road, same side, further south. and they all tell its so expensive. But we've as of yet still never made it there.'

Actually, a couple years ago, I did have my secretary call the record label, I think it was grammy, trying to find out Jintala's concert schedule. After getting bounced around, we finally got some sketchy information, but nothing solid. At the same time, I understand that most of the concerts for the famous artists occur at large outdoor "fairs" throughout places in Isaan. Though, I have to believe that once in a while they must come to Bangkok too.

This might be a very interesting type of event to go to, but again, I've been discouraged by local Thais I know. They said there are many low-life and drunk people at these events. However, I like to live dangerously.

I'd still be up to going to something like this if anyone knows the details.

Don't be discouraged by the prejudices of non Isaan Thais looking down their noses at the "peasantry". A big morlum concert is without doubt an experience not to be missed. I have been to many and like you find the music irresistible. Anyone who can sit still during a good morlum concert is either deaf or dead. It is one huge party and not surprising it resembles a Rolling Stones rock concert. Sure there is a lot of booze flowing and occasionally things can get out of hand but nothing to be too concerned over.

Here is her web site http://www.jintarafanclub.com/. Check it for her concert schedule. You'll need a Thai speakers help. All the good ones will be in Isaan usually associated with a provincial festival.

I've been to lots of morlam and lukthung concerts at temple fairs - ngam wat - and they were always peaceful. Many good ones in the Bangkok area - I've been to a big one in Thonburi, and another in Don Muang. It's just hard to find out when and where these are going to be and when big headlinders are going to be performing.

Tawan Daeng Isaan is a blast! A lot of fun.

I've got the in-laws in town right now. Would Tawan Daeng be a good place to take them, or is it more of a youngsters place. The in-laws are in their late forties and quite conservative. I'd love to surprise them (and the wife). What do you think? Replies soon please. Thanks.

We had a good time at Issan Tawan Daeng which is on Pattanakarn as noted above. There is another club across the street also called Tawan Daeng Sad Sang Duan. My visitor enjoyed himself - he ended up getting invited to another table for drinking with some twenty-something guys and gals. (he's mid-40s.) We had to leave around 11:15 PM for him to catch a flight so things were still warming up. The tempo and crowd gets going around this time.

In terms of tosted's question on the inlaws. It's a young crowd here but not in a way that would make you feel out of place. Very comfortable and welcoming. Some people might find it boring after an hour or so maybe not everyone would want to spend the whole evening. Might be a good thing to do late as a last stop. It's loud.

Edited by Valjean

I usually go to Issan Tawan Daeng most weekends. Great fun. When me and the missus got married, the complete singing and dancing troupe from there came up to our moobahn and performed at our wedding. It was filmed by Channel 7 TV!

It's a very friendly place, very welcoming to farang, especially if you come with your wife/GF and not some tattoed hooker from Nana Plaza...

Simon

We found our way to the morlam dive in Pattaya last March (which makes Bangkok's Tawan Daeng look like the legendary Avalon Ballroom compared to, say, some roadhouse outside of Gary, Indiana). We brought along an elderly German-Canadian acquaintence who was wintering in Pattaya and has almost no exposure to Thai culture. He sat through the whole evening, although it was hard to tell if he found it good, interesting or only excruciating. (I found parts of it excruciating even though I LIKE morlam.)

By the way, I don't know if this is the case at the big venues, but our Thai companions told us the singers don't get paid, except that if you like them you should buy a garland and put it around their necks. They get half of the proceeds from the garlands. Of course, you can also invite a performer to your table and slip them a cash tip. The people there seemed thrilled that a group of farang wanted to share their culture.

As long as we're sharing Morlam place stories, I have two. Last time I was at Isaan Tawan Daeng, I took a young (20s), very tall and handsome blond farang guy with me (first time to Thailand), who was in Bangkok to assist me on a project. He said he wanted to see something weird and local. He is an engineer, and seems very shy and stands about 6'6". Now, Tawan Daeng is most assuredly NOT a pickup joint, but this one young Isaan girl sitting at the table next to us couldn't keep her eyes off my guest. As she spoke some English, she made some very aggresive moves on him. Because I was hosting this Thailand newbie and responsible for his safety, I assumed the worst and took her aside to speak to her in Thai. I said he did not want professional company etc.. She assured me she wasn't a pro, didn't expect any money, and just always wanted to "try" a farang like him. I had my doubts based on her behavior, but after my approval, I tucked them into their own taxi back to the Marriott. No harm done. He enjoyed his night. He told me in the morning that she tried to get his mobile number, but that was all she asked for.

The second story is probably not very remarkable, but was some years ago. I was driving from Phuket to Bangkok and decided I would stop for one night in Chumphon city centre just to see what it was like. I noticed one of those "sing-a-song" Isaan places (by the train station) with pictures of girls on the exterior walls, and since I had never been in one, thought I'd make it my evening entertainment. It was a large garden place and they have rotating girls from Isaan that get on this stage and basically karaoke to Morlam songs. It is really amusing, because the girls are very pretty, and they wear these huge white go-go boots like Nancy Sinatra from the 60s, complete with skimpy outfits. The stage has all sorts of tacky plastic decorations and colored lights. There is this custom that they too, get showered with the plastic or real flower wreaths (I guess you buy them and it's sort of like a lady drink?) after their performance by admirers in the audience. After that, they then go sit at the tables and mingle with the customers. BTW, some of them are very good singers.

My intention was just to have a beer, a bite, see a few singers and leave. But, nooo, there was this old Isaan mamasan-type who kept forcing these what appeared to be underage girls wearing basically lingerie cum beachwear and go-go boots to sit at my table. She then continually "winked" at me to see if that one met my approval! The funny thing was, that I did chat a little with a few of the girls, and some of them couldn't even speak Thai! They were from some place deep in lao country, maybe even perhaps illegal Loatians?

Ok, long boring story, but maybe somebody can glean something entertaining or useful from this useless diatribe.

I've also observed that Tawan Daeng Isaan (and other similar locales all over the country) seems to be always full of attractive young women who are obviously not prostitutes. I sometimes advise acquaintances to go there when they ask where they can meet Thai women who are not "on the game."

I must have been going to a different Isaan Tawan Daeng twenty or so times over the past four years but it is decidedly a pick-up joint and all sorts paid favors have been observed being delivered. There are ~ half dozen ropers working the crowd with an eye towards facilitating contact between and among customers and performers. One or two ropers work select farang customers based on language proficiency.

You know it's funny but when I mentioned in my post above that my friend ended up at another table it was because a 25-ish woman from that table came over and stated chatting with him. Clearly by her look and the group she was with she wasn't a working girl. She wanted to know how long he was in Thailand, what he does etc. Looking for a BF or maybe a farang gig and some fun. She ended up asking him to come to the tables with the friends and he had a good time. He was amazed that someone 20 years younger than him would just come up and do that. Now that I hear the other stories I'd say this is not a great pick up place - it's a great get picked up place :o

One or two ropers work select farang customers based on language proficiency.
Well, the Tawan Daengs I've been in, I've never observed anything like that, nor have there ever been enough unaccompanied farang to make it worthwhile for the young ladies. (Quite a few guys with their Thai girlfriends.) But I have seen some occasions when less-shy young women have made some obvious attempt to get to know a visiting farang and practise their often-limited English. Not hooker-types though, although I guess you can't ever really tell until she does or does not ask for money. Most of the women there seemed to be genuinely into hearing the music, drinking with their friends and having a good time.

[\quote]

Nope, I suspect it's based on how uncouth or uneducated they look :o

BTW, whilst the BGs love to visit ITD for the morlam, it is definitely not a pick-up joint. Over the past few years, I have seen a few beer glasses thrown by Thai men and aimed deliberately at farang who have either tried to pick up girls there, or have attended with a rowdy group of BGs or LBs in tow...

Simon

As long as we're sharing Morlam place stories, I have two. Last time I was at Isaan Tawan Daeng, I took a young (20s), very tall and handsome blond farang guy with me (first time to Thailand), who was in Bangkok to assist me on a project. He said he wanted to see something weird and local. He is an engineer, and seems very shy and stands about 6'6". Now, Tawan Daeng is most assuredly NOT a pickup joint, but this one young Isaan girl sitting at the table next to us couldn't keep her eyes off my guest. As she spoke some English, she made some very aggresive moves on him. Because I was hosting this Thailand newbie and responsible for his safety, I assumed the worst and took her aside to speak to her in Thai. I said he did not want professional company etc.. She assured me she wasn't a pro, didn't expect any money, and just always wanted to "try" a farang like him. I had my doubts based on her behavior, but after my approval, I tucked them into their own taxi back to the Marriott. No harm done. He enjoyed his night. He told me in the morning that she tried to get his mobile number, but that was all she asked for.

The second story is probably not very remarkable, but was some years ago. I was driving from Phuket to Bangkok and decided I would stop for one night in Chumphon city centre just to see what it was like. I noticed one of those "sing-a-song" Isaan places (by the train station) with pictures of girls on the exterior walls, and since I had never been in one, thought I'd make it my evening entertainment. It was a large garden place and they have rotating girls from Isaan that get on this stage and basically karaoke to Morlam songs. It is really amusing, because the girls are very pretty, and they wear these huge white go-go boots like Nancy Sinatra from the 60s, complete with skimpy outfits. The stage has all sorts of tacky plastic decorations and colored lights. There is this custom that they too, get showered with the plastic or real flower wreaths (I guess you buy them and it's sort of like a lady drink?) after their performance by admirers in the audience. After that, they then go sit at the tables and mingle with the customers. BTW, some of them are very good singers.

My intention was just to have a beer, a bite, see a few singers and leave. But, nooo, there was this old Isaan mamasan-type who kept forcing these what appeared to be underage girls wearing basically lingerie cum beachwear and go-go boots to sit at my table. She then continually "winked" at me to see if that one met my approval! The funny thing was, that I did chat a little with a few of the girls, and some of them couldn't even speak Thai! They were from some place deep in lao country, maybe even perhaps illegal Loatians?

Ok, long boring story, but maybe somebody can glean something entertaining or useful from this useless diatribe.

everytime i hear one of these stories about having underage girls pushed at you I cringe. Im very happy I have never been in that situation because it would leave a very bitter taste in my mouth.

[\quote]

Nope, I suspect it's based on how uncouth or uneducated they look :o

BTW, whilst the BGs love to visit ITD for the morlam, it is definitely not a pick-up joint. Over the past few years, I have seen a few beer glasses thrown by Thai men and aimed deliberately at farang who have either tried to pick up girls there, or have attended with a rowdy group of BGs or LBs in tow...

Simon

thai men throw their glass at farang for hitting on their gf, or any thai female? has anyone else witnessed such behavior?

For anyone in Bangkok tonight who is interested in seeing live performances of a variety of Thai music, including Morlam and Luk Toong, there is a big shindig at Suan Lum tonight with a number of stages (music starts around 9PM) in honor of the queen's b'day.

Thanks to our resident tv professional audio man for PM'ing me on this.

nice to see some morlam and look-tung fans around.

fyi, there also used to be morlaam place up from fortune tower, ratchada - near that big shrimp sign. I also recall going years ago to a place almost next door to Central Ladprao - no idea if its still there now though.

as an aside, have seen Jintara a few times, most memorably at ITD in Patanakarn a few yrs ago. I saw people going up and giving her 20-50-100 baht notes, but since I kinda fancied her, I thought a garland would be more cute - however, although others got a nice big "wai" from her for hard cash, i only got one of those quick "wai" jobbies - guess she prefers the readies, lol. still, such a great voice and so narak. saw some guy keep coming over and reliefing her of the cash as she contineud to sing, whihc was amusing.

if anyone is up for a night somewhere, pm, as have no farang frineds who are interested, and only limited number of thais.