Seeking info. on Pajero 3.0L V6 – any experience / knowledge?

I've been looking at the main used car websites in Thailand for a very long time and with considerable diligence – Taladrod in particular – and have noticed certain things concerning used Pajero 3.0L V6.

Can't seem to come up with anything when researching this less common Pajero.

I really don't like diesels, so the most common 2.5L GT is out.

I have a 2004 Ranger with a Toyota 1JZ-FE inline 6, and even though I'm aware that this engine is widely considered to be “legendary” and one of the best engines Toyota ever made, and should therefore not be compared with other 6 cylinder engines, I still have an irrational inclination towards the smoothness of these engines.

The Pajero V6 is for sale in very small (insignificant) numbers compared to the 2,5L diesels.

The asking prices are very considerably lower for a V6 than their 2.5L equivalent (year/mileage etc.)

The V6 Pajero only seems to be available from around 2012 to 2014, and nothing on sale later than that.

The questions raised are:

Were they discontinued (seems obvious they were, but a rough history might be helpful)

Since there are so few of them, perhaps they're all imports???? (which would be a reason to avoid)

Is there a specific reputational reason for their unpopularity in the Thai market? – selling cheaper and taking longer to sell.

So I'm just wondering if anyone here has owned one, or has any inside knowledge about this Pajero model?

It's not unknown for certain models to have been found to have some critical flaws which make them best avoided – even Toyota has had one or two such 'problematic' engineering design flaws over the years.

I'm also concerned that parts and maintenance might be something of a problem.

Reliability and durability are number one priorities for me, and I need to avoid being lumbered with a money pit.

A Fortuner would be a safer option, but they hold their value to such an extent that legitimate doubts can be raised as to whether they are true value for money, or just a matter of higher pricing relating purely to market demand.

Pajeros are certainly very good value in comparison.

My price limit is around 400,000 baht (up to a maximum of 460,000 if pushed.)

However, a well maintained, low mileage 2014 Pajero V6 can be had for much less – around 310,000 to 360,000 baht, whereas a 2014 Fortuner 2.7L will swallow all that budget, and can even go up to 500,000 and over.

Lastly, resale value is of no concern, as I'm 71 years old and I want this car to outlast me!

Helpful and knowledgeable responses very much appreciated.

Off-topic offerings will be ignored, as time is valuable to all of us and surely not to be wasted.

Many thanks

Ray

We had the Pajero Sport 2.4 petrol, converted to LPG and I test drove the 3.0V6, it was definitely better than the 2.4 but it wasn't as good as the 2.5 diesel.

You will probably find most of them on the market have been converted to LPG, I wouldn't want a high mileage LPG conversion, they may have even take the conversion out so look carefully for signs it used to be LPG, I think it's supposed to say something in the Tabien Rod.

If the 3.0v6 is cheaper than the 2.5 diesel then IMHO it's a bargain.

13 minutes ago, raysunshineray said:

I've been looking at the main used car websites in Thailand for a very long time and with considerable diligence – Taladrod in particular – and have noticed certain things concerning used Pajero 3.0L V6.

Can't seem to come up with anything when researching this less common Pajero.

I really don't like diesels, so the most common 2.5L GT is out.

I have a 2004 Ranger with a Toyota 1JZ-FE inline 6, and even though I'm aware that this engine is widely considered to be “legendary” and one of the best engines Toyota ever made, and should therefore not be compared with other 6 cylinder engines, I still have an irrational inclination towards the smoothness of these engines.

The Pajero V6 is for sale in very small (insignificant) numbers compared to the 2,5L diesels.

The asking prices are very considerably lower for a V6 than their 2.5L equivalent (year/mileage etc.)

The V6 Pajero only seems to be available from around 2012 to 2014, and nothing on sale later than that.

Were they discontinued (seems obvious they were, but a rough history might be helpful)

Since there are so few of them, perhaps they're all imports???? (which would be a reason to avoid)

Is there a specific reputational reason for their unpopularity in the Thai market? – selling cheaper and taking longer to sell.

So I'm just wondering if anyone here has owned one, or has any inside knowledge about this Pajero model?

It's not unknown for certain models to have been found to have some critical flaws which make them best avoided – even Toyota has had one or two such 'problematic' engineering design flaws over the years.

I'm also concerned that parts and maintenance might be something of a problem.

Reliability and durability are number one priorities for me, and I need to avoid being lumbered with a money pit.

A Fortuner would be a safer option, but they hold their value to such an extent that legitimate doubts can be raised as to whether they are true value for money, or just a matter of higher pricing relating purely to market demand.

Pajeros are certainly very good value in comparison.

My price limit is around 400,000 baht (up to a maximum of 460,000 if pushed.)

However, a well maintained, low mileage 2014 Pajero V6 can be had for much less – around 310,000 to 360,000 baht, whereas a 2014 Fortuner 2.7L will swallow all that budget, and can even go up to 500,000 and over.

Lastly, resale value is of no concern, as I'm 71 years old and I want this car to outlast me!

Helpful and knowledgeable responses very much appreciated.

Off-topic offerings will be ignored, as time is valuable to all of us and surely not to be wasted.

Many thanks

Ray

We have a 2012 V6 3 litre petrol Mitsubishi Pajero. Bought in 2020 from a friend of the Mrs. We paid 400,000 baht. Apart from tyres and batteries the only expense has been steering rack/power pump replacement costing 14,900 baht only last month. Comfortable enough for 5 or even 7 if you fold down the rearmost seats.  

I know the Pajero from my years in China. The Pajero was often used by the PRC army special police and the "black hand" forces that patrol through areas like Xinjiang.

The Mitsubishi Pajero is no longer in production. After a run of over 40 years, Mitsubishi discontinued the Pajero in 2021.

Some of the most reliable engines used in the Mitsubishi Pajero over the years include:

Mitsubishi 4D56 Diesel

The 2.5-liter 4D56 diesel engine is considered one of Mitsubishi's most reliable. It was featured in the Pajero, Delica, and L200 from the mid-1980s until 2016. Owners report lifespans exceeding 300,000 miles with proper maintenance.

Mitsubishi 4G94 Petrol

The 2.0-liter 4G94 four-cylinder petrol engine was used in Pajeros and other Mitsubishi models in the 2000s. It produced up to 144 hp and was known for its reliability, with Chinese automaker Hawtai continuing production until 2015 after Mitsubishi stopped making it. 

Mitsubishi 6G74 Petrol

The 3.5-liter 6G74 V6 petrol engine appeared in the Pajero and L200 over a long production run. It was known for its durability, handling towing and off-road use well. Hyundai also licensed the engine for use in their vehicle.

In general, both the petrol and diesel engines used in the Mitsubishi Pajero over its four generations have a reputation for reliability. With proper maintenance, Pajeros could rack up high mileages before major issues arose.

On 8/20/2024 at 7:58 AM, RayOday said:

I know the Pajero from my years in China. The Pajero was often used by the PRC army special police and the "black hand" forces that patrol through areas like Xinjiang.

The Mitsubishi Pajero is no longer in production. After a run of over 40 years, Mitsubishi discontinued the Pajero in 2021.

Some of the most reliable engines used in the Mitsubishi Pajero over the years include:

Mitsubishi 4D56 Diesel

The 2.5-liter 4D56 diesel engine is considered one of Mitsubishi's most reliable. It was featured in the Pajero, Delica, and L200 from the mid-1980s until 2016. Owners report lifespans exceeding 300,000 miles with proper maintenance.

Mitsubishi 4G94 Petrol

The 2.0-liter 4G94 four-cylinder petrol engine was used in Pajeros and other Mitsubishi models in the 2000s. It produced up to 144 hp and was known for its reliability, with Chinese automaker Hawtai continuing production until 2015 after Mitsubishi stopped making it. 

Mitsubishi 6G74 Petrol

The 3.5-liter 6G74 V6 petrol engine appeared in the Pajero and L200 over a long production run. It was known for its durability, handling towing and off-road use well. Hyundai also licensed the engine for use in their vehicle.

In general, both the petrol and diesel engines used in the Mitsubishi Pajero over its four generations have a reputation for reliability. With proper maintenance, Pajeros could rack up high mileages before major issues arose.

Although not stated, the OP is referring to the Pajero Sport, a different model to the Pajero.  Newer variants of the Pajero Sport are still in production. 

On 8/19/2024 at 12:26 PM, raysunshineray said:

I would guess the V6 Pajero Sport did not sell as well as the 2.5L Turbo Diesel because of high fuel consumptions concerns, limited models and limited availability. 

At the time, common rail diesels were well promoted, and generally well recieved, for their improved performance and fuel economy.  The Pajero SPort 2.5L Turbo Diesel was the Mitsubishi 4D56 updated with DOHC and common rail fuel system.  It was a little rough and noisey but performance was OK / competitive with other pickup diesels. 

The Pajero Sport V6 was not well promoted and only available for 2 years as one model, competing with the 4WD GT at the top end price level.  The 2.4L petrol already appealed the low cost / LPG buyer, so the V6 had limited appeal.  

The V6 was smother and quieter, and did accelerate better than the diesels.  However in normal driving the extra performance from more power but less torque, was not that noticable. 

Headlight magazine did a good review of the V6: https://www.headlightmag.com/ทดลองขับ-mitsub4261/

at the age they're at now, the engine's getting long in the tooth and most would have been LPG converted at some point which takes extra toll on the engine unless maintained properly,  parts could be a problem due to rarity of the engine

some has factory approved LPG kit installed from the dealer, might fare better than aftermarket ones so look out for that

if you don't like Diesel, the smaller 2.4 petrol are known to survive LPG and is a better known quantity and is found in more models and sold for longer period, so parts availability is not a problem

but performance wise, if you want it - go for it but make sure your local mechanic can work on it and source parts for it

Thanks for all the useful insights.

One thing stands out - I haven't seen a single 2.4L petrol Pajero Sport advertised (and I've browsed daily for almost a year)..... so I think that must be a later model at a higher price point.

I filter my search using price lowest to highest, and stop when I get to around 450,000 baht.

Will take a look anyway, to see what comes up in a slightly higher price bracket.

Despite my love of my Toyota V6 (which has to go, owing to old age), it's undoubtedly best to avoid 'uncommon' vehicle engines because of parts issues  - even if Mitsubishi know how to service it properly.

Just to add - my dislike of diesels has been a lifelong aversion to the clattering racket they make, and the emissions.

But recent fairly extensive internet research has unanimously stated that in order to meet emissions regulations, modern diesels are more complex mechanically, with more to go wrong - especially the turbos.

This results in the necessity of more maintenance than a petrol counterpart, and more cost / anxiety.

Thanks again to all those who offered some advice.

On 8/21/2024 at 12:00 PM, Jitar said:

I would guess the V6 Pajero Sport did not sell as well as the 2.5L Turbo Diesel because of high fuel consumptions concerns, limited models and limited availability. 

At the time, common rail diesels were well promoted, and generally well recieved, for their improved performance and fuel economy.  The Pajero SPort 2.5L Turbo Diesel was the Mitsubishi 4D56 updated with DOHC and common rail fuel system.  It was a little rough and noisey but performance was OK / competitive with other pickup diesels. 

The Pajero Sport V6 was not well promoted and only available for 2 years as one model, competing with the 4WD GT at the top end price level.  The 2.4L petrol already appealed the low cost / LPG buyer, so the V6 had limited appeal.  

The V6 was smother and quieter, and did accelerate better than the diesels.  However in normal driving the extra performance from more power but less torque, was not that noticable. 

Headlight magazine did a good review of the V6: https://www.headlightmag.com/ทดลองขับ-mitsub4261/

Quite a few were converted to LPG due to the fuel consumption that was higher that the respective diesel version. Diesels tend to be more durable, but I guess it depends a lot on how its been looked after by previous owners. For petrol cars like this I'd also look at the cx-5 2.5 petrol car, if a 7 seater is not needed. My brother in law has a pajero sport diesel. Not too bad but still as heck as he changed the suspension to old man emu.

On 8/21/2024 at 1:14 PM, raysunshineray said:

Thanks for all the useful insights.

One thing stands out - I haven't seen a single 2.4L petrol Pajero Sport advertised (and I've browsed daily for almost a year)..... so I think that must be a later model at a higher price point.

I filter my search using price lowest to highest, and stop when I get to around 450,000 baht.

Will take a look anyway, to see what comes up in a slightly higher price bracket.

There is a few 2012/13 models on onescar.

https://www.one2car.com/en/cars-for-sale/mitsubishi/pajero-sport/petrol.

On 8/19/2024 at 12:26 PM, raysunshineray said:

Is the V6 a petrol engine?

If so makes sense, when sold new, petrol Pajero were cheaper than the diesel.