Requirement For "onward Ticket" When Entering Overland?

Hi,

I am currently living in Cambo, and in the past have usually entered & left Thailand at the Had Lek crossing on a 30 day tourist entry permit - end of story.

However I am now hearing of a new wrinkle where on arrival Thai Immigration are requiring proof of onward travel out of the Kingdom; ie - a return air ticket or similar.

Obviously for overland travellers like me, who leave by simply hopping on a van from Trat to the border and strolling across, this is a problem. I cant think of any ticket or document I could produce when entering that would suffice.

Can anyone shed any light on whether this 'onward travel' requirement is actually happening at land crossings, and if so, is there a workaround?

nb: I did attempt to find a thread on this before posting, but no luck with searches. If this issue has already been discussed, please accept my apologies and feel free to direct me accordingly.

Cheers, nw1

Onward tickets are a requirement for 30 day visa exempt entry and it is being enforced on that border. Normally that would mean you have to have a valid airline ticket/reservation for exit of Thailand within 30 days (although train tickets have also been accepted); but at that crossing (if I am not mistaking - someone please correct) they have a special bus ticket at 200 baht you have have to buy to satisfy this requirement.

Onward tickets are a requirement for 30 day visa exempt entry and it is being enforced on that border. Normally that would mean you have to have a valid airline ticket/reservation for exit of Thailand within 30 days (although train tickets have also been accepted); but at that crossing (if I am not mistaking - someone please correct) they have a special bus ticket at 200 baht you have have to buy to satisfy this requirement.

It actually says on the wall at thai immigration that all you need is a bus/air/train ticket out of thailand dated before the 30 day expiry date , yes you can buy a bus ticket cambodia-thailand-cambodia for 200 baht on the cambodia side

An innocent (and possibly stupid!) question; why not just print out your own 'Air Asia' e-ticket, say BKK - SIN o/w, complete with booking reference No and all travel info. They wouldn't check your 'reservation' on the Air Asia website, would they?

Edited by Big A

remember that using a forged document is illegal!!!!

if this comes to the attention of the immigration office they may well make life even more difficult for the real / genuine 30 day visa exempt tourists in the future!

STICK TO THE RULES OF THE LAW!

opalhort