Thai YouTuber exposes substandard aircraft repairs

45 minutes ago, smew said:

sarcasm is the lowest form of humor !!

The actual quotation that you are misquoting includes the opinion that it is "the highest form of intelligence", but no one ever mentions that when they're ignorantly condemning sarcasm.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sqwakvfr said:

1) The fact that a Rockwell Commander 114 is actually flying in Thaialnd is in a word amazing.  Even in the US this aircraft is rare.  Not excusing the level of maintenance but spare parts might be difficult to find for this aircarft because it went out of production many years ago and Rockwell went out of business many years ago. I once saw a 114 over 20 years ago in Long Beach,CA.

2) I have been a pilot for over 35 years and at one time owned a Cessna 172 but I have never stepped into a general aviation aircraft in Thailand and never will.

It was flown from UK by the previous owner, who flew it extensively (and safely) around Thailand for many years, and kept it well-maintained.

59 minutes ago, smew said:

YES , agree: BBK Air and Thai Air, other airlines operating here in LOS are fake and fake their maintenance  books.

Thai maintenance approach is: as long as it starts and runs it must be good.. 

You should expect a call from Bangkok Airways' and Thai Airways' lawyers very soon.

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, TheFishman1 said:

Getting my pilots license in the mid 70s instrument multi and commercial rating I would never ever step into and fly a small aircraft in Thailand. The maintenance must be terrible.TIT

There are some well-maintained aircraft and some good mechanics. A bit like doctors - the trick is finding the good ones.

As a pilot from the 70s you'd probably feel at home here - rare to fly an IFR VOR approach in Europe these days. It's all RNAV 'follow the magenta line'.  

2 hours ago, Watawattana said:

I happen to know that the Thai aviation Regulator is a highly professional organisation.  Let's hope that the YouTuber is able to share these findings with them, including the names of those who appear not to have done their jobs.

Remember.   Thai Airways was and is banned by the FAA.  The old BKK to LAX is gone because the FAA will not let Thai into American airspace. 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

Rust on the wings? Only ferrous metals are liable to rust yet the wings of the subject aircraft are fabricated from aluminium alloys.🤔

Ok he's used the wrong term but aluminium alloys are very susceptible to corrosion,which shows up as white powder.

One of the reasons for the switch to composite in recent years.

• Like 1

This is a problem that should be handled by the Thai Government regulatory agency. The mechanics should have their certification revoked, then let them earn their certification again like the first time. Put them out of work with no certificates. Let them starve.  I'm sure the lazy ass**** mechanics have already killed a few pilots and passengers.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mistakes do happen. We had a new engine installed on a Piper PA-32 Lance. The mechanic forgot to torque the oil hose. He hand-tightened the connection. Eight flying hours later, it wiggled loose and dumped all the oil at 6000ft. 

The club pilot who flew it (it was supposed to be me) was in the middle of an IFR snafu with ATC and was flying 6000ft above the airport, circling.  It was easy to get it on the runway but not to fly it.  Oil covered the entire front of the plane and windshield. 

The engine seized on the runway as he was landing. 

The mechanic fought it for months but finally had to buy us a new engine.  

It was a very costly mistake.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The last team of mechanics informed him yesterday that the aircraft was ready for flight tests and had received a Certificate of Airworthiness.

All planes serviced by this team should get a thorough going over ASAP! Wouldn't that take the cake if the plane that went down the other day was serviced by these guys....

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Sig said:

All planes serviced by this team should get a thorough going over ASAP! Wouldn't that take the cake if the plane that went down the other day was serviced by these guys....

Maybe insist they take a one hour flight in each plane they service?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheFishman1 said:

Getting my pilots license in the mid 70s instrument multi and commercial rating I would never ever step into and fly a small aircraft in Thailand. The maintenance must be terrible.TIT

It's a certificate, not a license. 

2 minutes ago, Gobbler said:

Planes glide. Can we dispense with this ignorant nonsense about dropping out of the sky?

Glide Ratio: The glide ratio is a key factor in how far the plane can glide. For example, a Cessna 172 typically has a glide ratio of about 9:1, meaning it can glide 9 miles for every 1 mile of altitude lost, assuming optimal conditions and proper speed control.

Did not know that!!! So could the pilot have lost the ability to control the glide say?

4 hours ago, retarius said:

Shameful, but sadly unsurprising. What is surprising is that these Cessna's and small aircraft are not dropping out go the sky like flies.

When you find a half-way decent builder or repairman here you hang on to him and shower him with gratitude and bonuses.

Airplanes don't drop out of the sky.

• Confused 2

Just now, Will B Good said:

Glide Ratio: The glide ratio is a key factor in how far the plane can glide. For example, a Cessna 172 typically has a glide ratio of about 9:1, meaning it can glide 9 miles for every 1 mile of altitude lost, assuming optimal conditions and proper speed control.

Did not know that!!! So could the pilot have lost the ability to control the glide say?

The pilot is an idiot.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

1) The fact that a Rockwell Commander 114 is actually flying in Thaialnd is in a word amazing.  Even in the US this aircraft is rare.  Not excusing the level of maintenance but spare parts might be difficult to find for this aircarft because it went out of production many years ago and Rockwell went out of business many years ago. I once saw a 114 over 20 years ago in Long Beach,CA.

2) I have been a pilot for over 35 years and at one time owned a Cessna 172 but I have never stepped into a general aviation aircraft in Thailand and never will.

3) I have faith in most of the  airlines based in Thailand because foreign maintenance managers supervise and sign off the maintenance.  I beleive many of these maintenance managers come from Europe.  

Are you writing that Thais cannot do proper repairs without foreigners overseeing them?

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Watawattana said:

I happen to know that the Thai aviation Regulator is a highly professional organisation.  Let's hope that the YouTuber is able to share these findings with them, including the names of those who appear not to have done their jobs.

Why didn't you tell us if you knew it all this time? 

• Confused 3

1 minute ago, Will B Good said:

Oh dear.....same mould as the maintenance crew?

In an engine out situation (which does not apply to this thread) you look for a landing spot, trim the plane for best glide speed (it's in the POH or Pilot Operating Handbook) and then setup to land in the spot you chose.  It's that simple. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

Rust on the wings? Only ferrous metals are liable to rust yet the wings of the subject aircraft are fabricated from aluminium alloys.🤔

Maybe fitted copy wings from China

1 hour ago, Gobbler said:

Are you writing that Thais cannot do proper repairs without foreigners overseeing them?

Yes.  Aircraft maintenace, especially airline aircraft, must be absolute and by the book.  No room for shortcuts.  Because at 30,000 feet and over the ocean you can't just pull over and fix it.  Safety in airline operations is very good and there are two reasons for this:  Great maintenance and great pilot training. 

• Agree 1