Gunfire in Yala Market After Minor Vehicle Collision

webfact

image.jpeg

A minor vehicle collision in Yala’s Malayu Bangkok market escalated into violence when two men, upset by the incident, ambushed a contractor and fired three shots at his vehicle before fleeing the scene.

On August 31 at 1:50 pm, Yala’s 191 Emergency Response Centre received a report of a shooting at the Malayu Bangkok market. The caller, who was driving a black pickup truck, reported that two men had fired three shots at his vehicle.

The bullets hit just below the driver’s side window, but fortunately, no one was injured. The assailants escaped on a black Scoopy motorcycle heading towards the Paramitae intersection.

Police Lieutenant Chotiphong Siyong and a team of investigators arrived at the scene shortly after. They found the pickup truck parked in the market with a bullet hole in the front driver’s door. Initial findings suggest that the attackers took the shell casings with them.

The victim, Sakkarin, a durian contractor, described the events. He said he was heading home to take a shower when his truck was grazed by a motorcycle.

“I looked back, and he waved at me. I went home as usual, thinking nothing of it. After showering, I drove out and saw them on the road again.

“We argued, and he pulled out a gun. I got back into my car, and he started shooting while shouting, ‘Do you know who I am?’ I quickly turned around, and he fired three more shots as I drove away.”

The altercation seems to have resulted from the minor collision, as Sakkarin and the attackers did not know each other beforehand. After the incident, Yala City Police investigators quickly interviewed Sakkarin and other witnesses at the scene.

Police have also instructed all checkpoints to be on alert for the black Scoopy motorcycle used by the attackers to help apprehend them and proceed with legal action.

Picture courtesy: Daily News

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-09-02

news-footer-4.png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe