Marriage for American marrying Thai person

I do not remember the entire list, but if you have a previous marriage in the US, you will need a copy of the divorce decree or annulment papers from the clerk of courts where the divorce occurred. It seems like that is all. Then the marriage in Thailand, if it is an official one (vs local village only) you can recorded it at the US embassy. Remember for tax season, to get an ITIN, or International Tax ID number. I good US tax office can apply for one for you from the IRS. Then you can file married and save a bundle on taxes, rather than filing single. I used American Asian tax co. Highly recommend.

I just got married recently.

1. You need two documents notarized ($50 per notarized document) from the US embassy/consulate:

a. Affidavit of single status

b. Certified copy of your US passport.

2. The documents need to be translated then legalized.  I used a translation services close to the US embassy to have the documents translated and have them legalized (3500 THB).  This process took me almost three weeks.

3. Schedule an appointment with your Amphur.  This took over two weeks as they need to verify the documents you submitted are legitimate. 

4. Register your marriage on your appointed date.  I read some Amphur do not require witnesses but mine did.

Here is the link of the general process from the US embassy:

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/getting-married-in-thailand/

Good luck!

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

I would BEGIN with asking the amphoe what they want.  They may vary wildly.  You may have to "amphoe shop" to find one who is accommodating. 

The only time I ever used an "agent," was to get an amphoe to marry my wife, because every amphoe we visited was hostile.