Current Visa Situation

Hi.  I had a METV which ended late July.  I managed to use it for just under 9 months so all good .  Just before it ended I went to Cambodia for 3 days flying back into Suvarnabhumi early August,  so I arrived when the new visa rules were in force.  The IO at the airport was originally not going to let me in.  Luckily I had a flight booked to the UK on the 20th August.  After about 20 minutes and discussions with her colleagues she grudgingly stamped me in until 29th September.

I then flew out to the UK on the 20th August. 

I have a flight booked to return to Thailand (BKK) on the 18th October.  It is my intention to apply for an AO when I arrive.  

I had been living on Phuket since January but my partner is about to move to a new job in Samui.  I'm tempted to fly back this month (probably the 17th) for two weeks or 10 days to help with the move.  

I'm trying to guage the position with the new visa rules - especially given that they weren't too keen on letting me in at the start of August. Is it too much of a risk to come back mid September (even with a return flight) or is it now the case that with the new rules I should be OK.

Also, does the fact that I have a stamp to the 29th September have any relevance even though I've left the country - I presume it doesn't.

As previously,  any option or help would be greatly appreciated.

OP, you should be ok to return to Thailand visa exempt especially with proof of return flight.

Have had copy print out.

You mention AO....

Do you mean a non O-A? That you would obtain in UK? Not good option 

Edit: you state ...." I'm tempted to fly back this month (probably the 17th) for two weeks or 10 days to help with the move" 

You serious. One of the many things I find amazing about Thailand is that you can any level of assistance from services here.

Stay in UK and send folding to help with move. 

1 hour ago, qwab32 said:

Hi.  I had a METV which ended late July.  I managed to use it for just under 9 months so all good .  Just before it ended I went to Cambodia for 3 days flying back into Suvarnabhumi early August,  so I arrived when the new visa rules were in force.  The IO at the airport was originally not going to let me in.  Luckily I had a flight booked to the UK on the 20th August.  After about 20 minutes and discussions with her colleagues she grudgingly stamped me in until 29th September.

I then flew out to the UK on the 20th August. 

I have a flight booked to return to Thailand (BKK) on the 18th October.  It is my intention to apply for an AO when I arrive.  

I had been living on Phuket since January but my partner is about to move to a new job in Samui.  I'm tempted to fly back this month (probably the 17th) for two weeks or 10 days to help with the move.  

I'm trying to guage the position with the new visa rules - especially given that they weren't too keen on letting me in at the start of August. Is it too much of a risk to come back mid September (even with a return flight) or is it now the case that with the new rules I should be OK.

Also, does the fact that I have a stamp to the 29th September have any relevance even though I've left the country - I presume it doesn't.

As previously,  any option or help would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry the visa should read non-immigrant O visa

15 minutes ago, qwab32 said:

Sorry meant non-immigrant O visa

If you decide to visit for short stay with return ticket that should not be an issue.

For next return after that you can obtain eVisa non O in UK or enter visa exempt and obtain non O at local immigration office.

If you do not have a Thai bank account in your name only then obtaining non O retirement in UK better option. 

18 hours ago, Upnotover said:

My recommendation would be to apply for the non-O in the UK before you come back.  It's an e-visa, minimal documents, and can be obtained in a matter of a few days.  Saves a trip to immigration and also avoids silly questions about onward tickets at check in.

I second this - and having that Non-O on-entry saves TWO trips to Immigration (at least), since the version applied for at immigration is not issued on the day applied.  It also has more scrutiny / hassle than a 1-year retirement-based extension - so always best to avoid this step, when possible. 

Thanks to the 3 guys who replied.  Decision made.  I probably don't need to fly in mid September now.  My original plan for the 18th October is more likely.  I'll apply for the non-O in the UK and extend when I get over.  Thanks again for the info.