New York City Public Schools Introduce Comprehensive Black Studies Curriculum

Social Media

image.png

This fall, New York City public schools are set to roll out a new Black Studies curriculum spanning from pre-kindergarten through 12th grade. Developed by the Black Education Research Center at Columbia University Teachers College, this curriculum has been designed to provide students with a deeper understanding of the history of inequality and social hierarchy in the United States. Funded by the New York City Council under the Education Equity Action Plan (EEAP), the curriculum will now be available to all schools in the city as students return to class.

Sonya Douglass, a professor of Education Leadership at Columbia University’s Teachers College, explained that the curriculum is not solely focused on the history of a particular racial group but is centered on understanding the broader context of inequality in the country. "This is not a curriculum about a particular racial group, necessarily, but about the history of inequality and stratification hierarchy in the United States," Douglass told ABC News.

She emphasized the importance of this education, particularly for young people and teachers who may not have been exposed to such content in their own training. "When young people, as well as teachers, who may have not even had access to this content in their own training and education are grounded in that history and grounded in perspectives that may be different than their own, I think it helps us to better understand the challenges that we’re facing currently as a society," Douglass added.

The curriculum is designed to supplement existing school programs, offering additional units, activities, reading lists, and lesson plans that provide a more comprehensive view of American history and the contributions of Black Americans. Its introduction in New York City comes at a time when other states, such as Oklahoma and Texas, are moving to restrict certain materials in school libraries. Proponents of these restrictions argue that discussions on gender and race might evoke feelings of shame among students.

Douglass highlighted the significance of this moment in education, noting, "We’re in the midst of a struggle over the minds of our children and how we choose to socialize them into American society." She connected the efforts in different states to either limit or expand the teaching of history, underscoring the broader debate over how the nation's past and contributions are taught in schools. "I see all of this is very much connected in terms of some states who want to limit the teaching of the truth, and others that want to create a more accurate and expansive accounting of our history and contribution," Douglass said.

Credit: The Hill 2024-09-06

news-logo-btm.jpg

news-footer-3.png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The border states should assist N Y in their bid to become a beacon for social justice by sending even more illegals for N Y to practice what they preach.

So I take it you disapprove of teaching kids about how blacks have historically been treated in this country humm???you are a sad specimen…….

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, impulse said:

How'za bout you teach kids to read, to do math, the discipline to stick to a budget, and to do the work required to get a decent job to get along (and even ahead) in today's world?  Then when the kids can pass grade level math and reading, you can go into electives.

Just imagine the backlash if they offered a class in White history, or more contemporaneously, Jewish history.

I think 'white' history has been on curriculum for centuries?

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

49 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

You can believe that if you want.  But the history I was taught as a kid in the '60s and coming of age in the '70s included a lot of information about black figures and their contributions.  If I sat down for an hour, I could probably list 100 significant black historical figures and their contributions.  And that's 50 years after my school career.  But the reality is that western history has mostly been driven by old white guys.  That's just a fact.

Call me skeptical, but I'm forecasting a "black history curriculum " heavy on perpetuating the victim narrative.  Which is exactly what Sowell and Freeman are warning about in JonnyF's post.  Perpetuating.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I heard they teach Thai/Asian history in Thai schools.

I even heard a terrible rumour they teach Japanese and Asian history in Japanese schools. 

The horror. 

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

I heard they teach Thai/Asian history in Thai schools.

I even heard a terrible rumour they teach Japanese and Asian history in Japanese schools. 

The horror. 

And now Public Schools in NY will include the history of all those non white Americans.

The horror.

Edited by Chomper Higgot

8 hours ago, Social Media said:

Sonya Douglass, a professor of Education Leadership at Columbia University’s Teachers College

Don't think her leadership got through to some of the Deans who were caught texting antisemitic messages and fired.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, Tug said:

So I take it you disapprove of teaching kids about how blacks have historically been treated in this country humm???you are a sad specimen…….

In NYC they need reading, writing, arithmetic and science and I personally think finance classes. Why do you need to constantly insult people? How much time do you think this Columbia University prof. spent with an " average" NYC public school child?  There are already many classes in the system that offer black history.  These kids CAN'T spell and do math at 16 years old! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alex8912 said:

In NYC they need reading, writing, arithmetic and science and I personally think finance classes. Why do you need to constantly insult people? How much time do you think this Columbia University prof. spent with an " average" NYC public school child?  There are already many classes in the system that offer black history.  These kids CAN'T spell and do math at 16 years old! 

Because Alex the poster I quoted made an overtly racist statement no more no less.I the kids aren’t performing well in those math classes it’s not for lack of availability.