Restore lost Yellow Book

Got Yellow book 6 years ago while married, later divorced but wife allowed me to keep the book when asked during the divorce at amphoe.
Long story short now I only have a scan of it , which was accepted when buying new motorcycle in 2022.

How can I restore it?
Does the ex-wife needs to be present? and she is not living there anymore.

I know i should file a police report claiming I lost it. But then what?
Or can I just apply for a new yellow book with the owner of the house I'm renting now? Showing them I have YB already just please transfer me somehow to the new address?

Rental is within same province and I don't really care about the address being correct, just want to have original YB.

thanks guys

Edited by Tim K

On 9/7/2024 at 8:35 PM, Tim K said:

I know i should file a police report claiming I lost it. But then what?
Or can I just apply for a new yellow book with the owner of the house I'm renting now? Showing them I have YB already just please transfer me somehow to the new address?

You will need the owner of the property where you want to register your new yellow-book to assist, as it is "their house".  Your pink-ID would also be needed. 

I would ask at the amphur - or have a Thai-speaking person call and ask them what they need to see.  You may also have to report the old yellow-book lost, if they want to see that, as well - you would show them the police-report and a copy, instead.

Pink ID has been lost too.

I think I'll go tomorrow to the nearest amphoe first in Phuket Town,
the police station is also nearby where I'll request a report.

And if the situation looks favorable as in no need for other people to be involved, then I'll go to Thalang where YB was issued with police report, passport and old copy in hand.

For a new YB the owner is a lovely Brit with Thai wife, I'm 90% sure they will help.

Edited by Tim K
  • Like 1

When I changed address, I was required to go back to the Amphoe that issued the original YB who cancelled that and gave me a form to take to the new Amphoe that immediately issued me a new YB and ID card, without having to go through the shenanigans of obtaining the first YB. 

Edited by Liquorice
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

go back to the Amphoe that issued the original YB who cancelled that

And if it has been lost they don't care I hope and the process will be same?) Yes? please say yes.

Can you elaborate how did you change the address?
You've showed them new rental contract + copy of owners house book and id? Owner needed to be present? and two witnesses?

Edited by Tim K

5 minutes ago, Tim K said:

And if it has been lost they don't care I hope?) Yes? please say yes.

If you have a copy of the old YB and a 'lost' police report, I don't think you'll encounter a problem.
They can easily trace your registration provided you have your Thai ID number.
I had the original YB which they kept (to be destroyed) anyway.

Failing that you'd have to start from scratch again and the process is now even more complex than when I obtained my first YB and ID card.

19 hours ago, Tim K said:

File a police report for both, then.  

Going to your new amphoe (serving your new residence) with the police-reports in-hand, and seeing what they require, is the only way to know.  It is far less work for them than putting you "in the system," so hopefully they are friendly about it.

I would assume the new owner has to attend, when you have what they need - hopefully not additional witnesses - but please do update here with your experience.

Edited by Rob Browder

Went to Thalang Police station today, it is right near the Amphoe anyway.
Was 2nd in queue for lost documents clerk. Other queue was for fines and payments.

When it was my turn 2 guys from Fines queue who just finished paying cut in front of me and were getting a report of some kind. And just when they started getting a report the clerk decided to go outside have a tea break or something.
Here we are all sitting waiting doing nothing, 3 more people came and sat behind me.
Tick tock tick tock .....

Now I finally got the seat in front of the clerk and again 3 more thais come and cut in front of me)
Old lady and 2 grown up kids I suppose, they were asked to read long document in thai on an electronic tablet attached to the computer.
Tick tock tick tooooock

An eternity later they left saying they need to take a break?

They come back to sign but the tablet turned off,  the clerk went somewhere again
.................. tick tock..............

Clerk returned with a new usb cable I suppose, fixed a mess of cables on his desk, tablet cam alive, they signed.

Got my report 5 min later.
He forgot to give me my passport back, had to return from the parking lot for it.

At home noticed that the house number was wrong. OMG.

Can't blame him, it is hard to read, and DLT also messed up my green book.
image.png.5d6b6524b7f523b3af7f9114517a19ca.png
158/43

image.thumb.png.a8beb1cb8f4c86cc0f45dd985b6013cb.png

Also he didn't put the pink ID in the list of lost documents but I did ask him and he nodded.

Edited by Tim K
  • Like 1

So I decided to go to the nearest and it turns out to be provincial police station in Phuket Town.

Now there were 5 clerks (2 of them for lost documents) and the process went a lot faster!

The young lady clerk just replaced the guy in the window #4, had her coffee in a plastic cup. My number comes up, she understood about YB but had no idea what the pink ID is. Tried to explain they give it at Amphoe along with Tabian Baan , the yellow book. It is pink and it is for foreigners only.  Still no idea, she asked her colleagues - nope. 
Had to google it and show pic on my phone. Small discussion and she finally read the name at the top of the card to understand how is this 💩 yeeeoow  called in Thai.

And I warned her about the house number,  1 5 8 please.

Guess how many tries it took to get the correct report?
If someone later decides to follow up my case they would find out that I had houses 158/43  +  58/43  + 53/34 + 153/34 .
First error she corrected with blue pen, I pointed out there were other errors too.  She corrected one by printing new report. Stamped it and handed me.
But the other errors were still there.
I pointed that out.
Printed again, stamped again.
I pointed out another one.
Printed again, stamped again.

I mean can you check them really carefully one time? And stop looking at that coffee cup already)

When I got home I found another error, but I gave up.

tb_3a.png

The report says I came 1086 years ago in the year 938 (1481 thai) to file it))))

Will go to Amphoe in Thalang tomorrow as the queue was already full today at 2pm.
I wonder what their reaction will be looking at 1086 year old doc)

Edited by Tim K
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

image.jpeg.4eb41486bba5d27b7a8ed4ab35db62c7.jpeg1hr wait at the Amphoe, 10 minutes of serious talk between staff about my situation then they ask me: 
Do you know Khun  Kxxxxxxxx ?
-Yes he lives nearby

Do you know his number?
- nope sorry

Well we've checked in the system and he is the owner now
(before it was my ex-wife, as I've said she moved)

So he needs to come here and sign form (auth. form I guess)
OK, it's 15 min ride to the house
And then plot thickens even more:
image.png.2b11a0e901691ccba2ae1f921bb19361.png

There is no house anymore! WTF??
Last time it was still there in 2020,  things are happening fast.

image.png.4ca0a20b6930208a00119ca51099167d.png
google says it was here in April 2024...

Went to the neighbours, Khun K was there and after a nice chat he/she agreed to help. Whole family came to look at me, that was nice, feeling welcomed by locals. I've known them for 3 years 2017-2020.

Turns out some rich thai from town bought the land, but house book somehow made it to Kun K.

Back to Amphoe we went, a short wait, and it is so nice to have thai answer all the questions from staff and wave ID card around and blue house book. I just sat there pretty.
Kun K signed just one form, had to show blue book and ID.
(I guess i could have easily requested transfer to another Amphoe and then this would've happened at new Amphoe, just sign 1 form and show blue book+ID and transfer form from old Amphoe.)

Fee only 50b, i thought would be 100,  a warning Don't lose again! with a smile and that was it.

image.png.d1fc6bb01cc1c87085101e0cbe45a3e4.png
Red mark says: Saw the book that was lost
Blue writing don't know, just number of some doc probably some internal doc made today.
And I won't have any more problems because the house number is properly aligned and easily readable.

I guess if the owner was still the same person  I could restore the YB by myself, only passport and police report with copy of old book were needed.

Edited by Tim K
  • Thumbs Up 2

Forgot to mention that at Amphoe clerk said that I can get my pink ID tomorrow anyway, even without the owner and without YB.

They are issued at 8am only so I would have to go tomorrow one more time.

@Liquorice
Without your advice I would have probably given up before even starting.
Key thing for me was YB is not connected with marriage / ex-wife, it belongs to the house. Still have some bad memories about ex and don't want to have anything to do with her.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Tim K said:

@Liquorice
Without your advice I would have probably given up before even starting.
Key thing for me was YB is not connected with marriage / ex-wife, it belongs to the house. Still have some bad memories about ex and don't want to have anything to do with her.

You can just be thankful that the lost book issue wasn't complicated😃

• Haha 1

On 9/8/2024 at 11:04 PM, Rob Browder said:

Your pink-ID would also be needed. 

Two things, you don't have to get a pink id card to have a yellow book, and secondly, you get a pink id card after you get a yellow book.

So in short, a pink id is not needed at all for a yellow book

• Agree 1

Went to Amphoe 3rd time today, spent 4h45m + 60baht and got my pink ID.
They've got a peculiar queuing system there.
If you come at 8am, just press the corresponding button on touch screen of the queue machine, A B or C.

I came at 11-15am and button C (for ID cards) was covered with scotch tape and piece of paper saying Queue is Full in Thai. I've been told yesterday to come 8am or at noon. So I thought ok I'll wait until noon and maybe they will remove the tape and I'll press the button.
Waited until 11-55 the staff started to go on a lunch break and as they were coming towards me I asked what should I do.
Turns out the queue is now formed outside! by the security guy, writing numbers in his notepad! 
I came first but suddenly turned out to be the last one in the queue.
Guard asked everyone to form a line outside, calling them one by one from 1st until last. Then he called me to go to the back of the line.
Then he started to let everyone in to the queue machine and pressed the buttons himself.
What is the purpose of this???

I should've just pressed the button even with the paper still taped to the screen. I've seen on thai guy do this, it worked.
Then I would've been first in the queue and could just ignore this charade.

So if you are reading this and plan on goin to Amphoe Thalang - just press the button at 11am)

As I finally got to the photo room 2 old farangs cut in front of me, turns out they've paid an agent. Agent didn't use the queue, called over staff and things started happening for them.

• Haha 1

On 9/8/2024 at 11:32 PM, Tim K said:

And if the situation looks favorable as in no need for other people to be involved, then I'll go to Thalang where YB was issued with police report, passport and old copy in hand.

For a new YB the owner is a lovely Brit with Thai wife, I'm 90% sure they will help.

Pink card number stays the same, changing amphurs (District Office) is not a problem.

They can search for it on their system by your Name , date of birth or Passport number etc.

Not a Problem

49 minutes ago, Tim K said:

I came at 11-15am and button C (for ID cards) was covered with scotch tape and piece of paper saying Queue is Full in Thai. I've been told yesterday to come 8am or at noon. So I thought ok I'll wait until noon and maybe they will remove the tape and I'll press the button.
Waited until 11-55 the staff started to go on a lunch break and as they were coming towards me I asked what should I do.
Turns out the queue is now formed outside! by the security guy, writing numbers in his notepad! 
I came first but suddenly turned out to be the last one in the queue.
Guard asked everyone to form a line outside, calling them one by one from 1st until last. Then he called me to go to the back of the line.
Then he started to let everyone in to the queue machine and pressed the buttons himself.
What is the purpose of this???

Have you considered changing your username to 'Captain Chaos'?     😉

You know it's why you love Thailand, what else could you have done in those wasted hours.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Tim K said:

Went to Amphoe 3rd time today, spent 4h45m + 60baht and got my pink ID.
They've got a peculiar queuing system there.
As I finally got to the photo room 2 old farangs cut in front of me, turns out they've paid an agent. Agent didn't use the queue, called over staff and things started happening for them.

Glad it worked out, eventually.  And, yes, that special queuing was the case at my original "first time for yellow book" Amphoe (rural) also.  I was only seen after every Thai was served - even though was with my Thai wife, Poo Yai Baan, and 2 witnesses who had to wait all that time to sign-off on me. 

It took literally all day - open to close (I was seen last) - then had to wait ~6 months before they let me have the yellow-book - "waiting for signature of big guy."  No agent-service was available there, alas - would have likely been less expensive than what I paid to waste 3 Thai's day.

Did they make you go to Tourist Police and put your fingerprints on a record?
Or they just scammed me?)

No I wasn't put last because of nationality, just because I didn't understand the system. And btw 3 more thais were in line after me.

1st time I've had to wait after fingerprints maybe 1-2 months. But at Amphoe everything was rather fast.

30 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Did they make you go to Tourist Police and put your fingerprints on a record?
Or they just scammed me?)

No I wasn't put last because of nationality, just because I didn't understand the system. And btw 3 more thais were in line after me.

1st time I've had to wait after fingerprints maybe 1-2 months. But at Amphoe everything was rather fast.

No fingerprints until the Pink-Card process - took them then.  Every amphoe has different rules for the first-application process.  Glad to hear you got a replacement book + ID ok.

• Thumbs Up 1

Forgot to tell about the queue display they had at Phuket Town Police station.
image.thumb.jpeg.6c73de967c6f9fb5c60cb254856ec91a.jpeg

Nothing wrong with the photo, now my ticket was 3044, where do i go?) Only my knowledge of Thai language has allowed me to understand that it was my turn as the system also uses the pre recorded voice.

That lady at window #4 made 4 errors writing house number in the report, I guess they have their own number system in that office ))

Edited by Tim K