Solar Panel Technician Falls to Death from School Roof: Bangkok

Georgealbert

IMG_5276.png

Picture from responders.

A solar panel technician, on the afternoon of September 7 tragically fell to his death while inspecting the new installation work at a school in Rat Burana district in Bangkok.

Police Lieutenant Nathapong Tasee of the Rat Burana Police Station was notified of a fatal accident at a School on Suksawat Soi 19. The victim, Mr. Thanapat (last name withheld), 31, was employed by a private company tasked with installing solar panels at the school. He fell from the roof while inspecting the work.

Rescue teams from the Po Tek Tung Foundation, forensic officers, and medical personnel from Siriraj Hospital were dispatched to the scene. The accident occurred between two school buildings. Mr. Thanapat's body was found lying face-up on the ground, with significant head and facial injuries. A large pool of blood and scattered broken roof tiles surrounded the body.

According to witnesses, Mr. Santi (last name withheld), 47, the team supervisor, said it was the first day on the job. The team had gathered earlier to discuss safety protocols, including which areas of the roof were stable enough to walk on. Mr. Santi attempted CPR with two other workers.

A colleague recounted that Mr. Thanapat had been crossing the roof to join his team when the accident occurred. The deceased had braced himself on the roof tiles, which were old and brittle, causing them to break under his weight. Despite wearing a helmet, the victim was not secured with a safety harness, as there was no structure to attach it to, but planned to later install a fall protection system.

Forensic experts and police examined the scene, and the body was transported to Siriraj Hospital for a post-mortem examination. The family has been informed and will arrange religious rites following the investigation.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-09-08

Cigna Banner (500x100) (1).png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 2

Another case of cost cutting and taking undue risks in Thailand. Safety mesh should've been fixed in place prior to the roof being installed. I'm a retired plumber and I had a number of times when the tiles crumbled. Luckily for me the safety mesh saved me from any falls. Cement tiles dry out in the sun over the years and become very brittle.