Here's an update on the storm we got with our solar installer

Sam B

(see full story: https://aseannow.com/topic/1337583-can-the-asean-now-community-mediate-your-input-is-needed/ )

The installer finally responded to our letters, albeit in quite a colorful manner:

Dealing with the problem of criminalizing a fellow expat?
He accused us of making false allegations and seems unable to distinguish between a private exchange of opinions and criminal lawsuit accusations.

His terms for a clarification meeting and a fair solution?
A tête-à-tête at his lawyer's office. As for resolving the issue, his "constructive" solution boils down to us paying all alleged debts and any legal fees incurred or expected.

His opinion about community support?
We informed him beforehand about our intention to seek community support, asking if he was on board with it as we did not want to escalate the situation.
He just laughed it off in his response, saying, "They'll die laughing!"

Here's a short summary what we answered him to this, aiming de-escalation:

We pointed out that, as mentioned in his letter, he wasn't directly dealing with the lawyer. Which might mean he's not fully informed about the situation.

We respected his right to fight for what he believes is his, but pointed out that civil court, not criminal court, is where these matters, if at all in court, has to be handled.

Fellow Expats, it has already been a lively and helpful discussion, thanks!
I really appreciate all further comments and ideas.

Edited by Sam B
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

I reread your initial post.

I think making a deduction for the missing warranty is not something you can do.  You made a unilateral decision.  My advice is pay that, so you have paid everything you have contracted for and ask him (in writing) to provide the missing warranty, assuming it is specified in the contract.

f he doesn't then notify him that you will be asking an external supplier (try iCandy) to quote to warrant the equipment, and inform your supplier that you will sue him for the cost of that.

You need to get yourself onto the moral and legal high ground and put him on the backfoot.

23 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I think making a deduction for the missing warranty is not something you can do.  You made a unilateral decision.  My advice is pay that, so you have paid everything you have contracted for and ask him (in writing) to provide the missing warranty, assuming it is specified in the contract.

f he doesn't then notify him that you will be asking an external supplier (try iCandy) to quote to warrant the equipment, and inform your supplier that you will sue him for the cost of that.

You need to get yourself onto the moral and legal high ground and put him on the backfoot.

I would love to do that!

Unfortunately, this is not possible because the installer insists that I have to pay all his legal fees and other financing that he has not yet carried out.

I asked him many times to give information about the missing warranty, which is a part of the contract. But he will not.

Edited by Sam B

42 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I really like this: «You need to get yourself onto the moral and legal high ground and put him on the backfoot.»

But that's too late now and at the time I wanted to avoid going to court. And I would have had to sue him, because he didn't accept any of my offers.