What song brings back a cherished childhood memory, and what is that memory?

simon43

Growing up in a "typical" Italian American totally disfunctional household this song would stop the world

and and place everything into a simulated slow motion scence where you could watch from the outside and regain calm..it also triggered my passio for learning to play guitar

This song came out when I was just on the cusp of puberty, when romantic and sexual feelings were still inchoate. It seemed to warn about the complexities of romantic relationships, something which I was of course clueless about at the time, and in many ways still am. Brings back many nostalgic memories of childhood innocence.

Edited by Gecko123

Jimi Hendrix    Purple Haze
The Animals   House of the Rising Sun
Blue Oyster Cult   Don't Fear The Reaper
Bob Dylan  Knockin' on Heavens Door
Crosby. Stills, Nash & Young   Southern Man

The Doors  Light My Fire

The Mamas and The Papas    California Dreamin

Cream  Sunshine of Your Love

Led Zeppilin   Stairway To Heaven
Lynyrd Skynard     Feebird

Queen   We Are The Champions
R.E.M.  Losin My Religion
The Righteous Brothers    Unchained Melody

Santana   Evil Ways

Simon & Garfunkel    Sounds of Silence

Different Travel much as a youth, only school, work & concerts, sports

so many great memories many are for concerts & Music
I spent weekends 60,70's at a place called The Fillmore East seeing 100's of concerts

apologize for the length

• Sad 1

After an evening out drinking with my young friends we would call at the chippy for pie and chips....retiring with them to listen to the very popular....at the time....the Four Tops....this one has fondest memories for me.

On 9/16/2024 at 7:57 PM, simon43 said:

For me, the memory is of taking month-long holidays on the island of Corfu with my family, when I was about 11 years old.  My father was a university professor, and so benefited from long summer holidays.

Each July, we would pack our suitcases (my parents and 2 brothers), and travel by train from our home in Leicester to St Pancras station in north London.  Then a taxi across the capital city to Victoria station ,where we could catch the 'boat train' to Dover.  Across to Calais on the ferry and another train to Gare du Nord station in Paris.  Then across Paris and we boarded the night train that ran all the way from Paris and down to Brindisi in southern Italy.  We slept as the train traveled through south France and Switzerland, and then woke up in sunny Italy by the lakes.

That whole next day was spent traveling down Italy, close to the coast, looking out of the window all the way at the sights.  Finally in the late evening, we arrived in Brindisi and boarded the 'Apia' ship to cross the Adriatic to Corfu island, where we arrived the next morning.  Then it was into a small boat to sail along the coast to the pretty village of Kassiopi, where we lodged with a local family.

Every day, we would walk to the beach. My father would sit on the beach, marking his student exam papers and swigging Retsina!  (I think everyone got a good pass mark because my father was definitely tipsy after marking 50 papers!).  I would swim in the clear sea, marveling at the coral and brightly coloured fish.  For a young boy with an interest in nature, the various centipedes and 'bugs' on the land fascinated me.

Each evening, we would eat in a local taverna (there were very few if any other tourists). The taverna staff would play live Greek music and encourage us to join in with their traditional dances, just like Zorba the Greek!

Those wonderful memories are ingrained in my memory, and for this reason I love the music of Mikis Theodorakis and similar music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYQGlBqIrQg&list=RD23VZDS36c7k&index=5

mikis.jpg.fb5ff6e6f6ee036e1c3ab6c63d0bbd42.jpg

If there is one thing that I want to do before I die, it is to return to visit Greece and to smell the fragrance of the flowers and hear this beautiful music in situ.  (In reality, it's probably a tourist ghetto strewn with trash!!).

How about you?

A friend once said “You can never go back. You can go again, but you can’t go back”. Places change, people move on, you change…