Newish Vegetarian Restaurant

fanciman

i have heard there is meant to be a new veggie restaurant on suthep road near maharat hospital.

I can't see it! I have only seen 2 just before the faculty of pharmacy- neither of which i like.

What is the latest on veggie dining in cnx, and where is pumpui, the italian place?

What is the latest on veggie dining in cnx, and where is pumpui, the italian place?

Don't know a thing about veggie dining, but Pum Pui is on Moonmuang Road, Soi 2 in the vicinity of the Top North guest house. Used to be a big fan, but it has gone down hill (IMHO) since Sergio sold it.

The vegetarian restaurant referred to is called Pun Pun and is inside Wat Suan Dok towards the back, right next to the Monk Chat building. It has outdoor seating under a bo tree and I think its open all day through 7pm. Good salads and other Thai-style dishes, well-prepared and including some organic veggies from the owner's farm in Mae Taeng. Food is crisper and fresher than what's served in most veg restaurants here. Well worth a visit. The owner is a member of the NGO group which organises the weekly organic food market at JJ Market.

Another newish place in May Kaidee's, located on Rachapakiani road next to the Sumit Hotel. This is a branch of the well-known May Kaidee restaurants in Bangkok near Khao San road. Dishes are also Thai-style and also fresh and crisp, not overcooked mush like elsewhere. The delightful owner Deuan also offers cooking classes during the day.

Stefano who runs the Italian restaurant near Gecko books - i forget its new name, as well as the Gondola and a new place in Changklan Plaza, has opened yet another restaurant on the Walking Street in that new courtyard with Wawee coffee in front. He's put together a vegetarian menu which looks ok if you don't mind cheese. Haven't tried it though.

There is a juice shop on Rachamangkla near the moat called Juicy4U which serves breakfast and lunch, meat-free menu of sandwiches, soups and the like.

I went to the new Stefano's restaurant a few weeks ago and it was pretty good but it wasn't exclusively vegetarian. The veg menu was alright but not particularly extensive. I thought that it was just the usual Italian fare without any big surprises but was well-cooked and reasonable inexpensive. It was also nice to sit outside sipping wine and watching the shoppers on the Walking Street on a Sunday. I'm a bit confused now. I saw an ad in this month's Citylife for a new restaurant called Girasole on Rachadamnoen. It's described as 'a vegetarian and health restaurant by La Gondola.' I saw the ad after I'd been to the restaurant and never made the connection until I got onto this forum. D'oh!

I didn't know about the veggie restaurant inside Wat Suan Dok so I'm very excited to try that one out. I'm surprised that the OP doesn't like either of the veggie restaurants on Sutthep Rd as the one nearest the wat does the most fantastic Khao Soi in the whole city! But I agree that the one next to VideoEzy isn't that great and very stingy with the portions. My personal favourite for curries is on Intrawarorot Rd near to Wat Prasing. Nice people, cheap and very tasty.

I love being a vegetarian in Chiang Mai - there's just so much choice!

MCL

I didn't know about the veggie restaurant inside Wat Suan Dok so I'm very excited to try that one out. I'm surprised that the OP doesn't like either of the veggie restaurants on Sutthep Rd as the one nearest the wat does the most fantastic Khao Soi in the whole city!

MCL

I agree Madcatlady.....could that be MadcatLinda?.....the one with the big yellow/red ?? sign outside rings my bell and the yoghourt drinks are (Tony the Tiger) Grrreeeaaattt.

So, the veggie restaurant that does the ace khao soi is the small one, on street level, rather than the large one that you need to step up to, is that right?

I don't like the large one. Too much of the "vegetarian" stuff there has something like egg or milk or even ham in.

Is there a Vegetarian sign on the warawot road restaurant?

I think the best khao soi is in Aum, by Tae Pae gate.

The avocados seem to be of poor quality in blue diamond just recently... maybe its the end of the season or something. And the 'attitude' of the owner is declining, over the years...

Thanks for the tip about the vegetarian restaurant in Wat Suan Dok. I went there for lunch today and it was great! The staff, the food, the menu, the setting; everything was excellent and had a feeling of genuine quality.

I've been recently regularly buying avocados from the Doi Kham stand on the ground floor of Central Airport next to the aquarium.. They are 10 baht each and I've rarely gotten a bad one. (They are the smaller round ones.)In general that stand has the best produce at the best prices that I've seen in Chiang Mai, but clearly I'm out of the loop as I didn't know about the Suan Dok restaurant. The Doi Kham stand also has a nice variety of vegetables and sometimes gets stuff I almost never see in Thailand. They are not there everyday though, and I'm not sure what days they are there.

i have heard there is meant to be a new veggie restaurant on suthep road near maharat hospital.

I can't see it! I have only seen 2 just before the faculty of pharmacy- neither of which i like.

This is quite a good list of veggie restaurant's, including the one you asked about.

http://www.chiangmainews.com/foodguide/ecl...food.php?sub=27

I've been recently regularly buying avocados from the Doi Kham stand on the ground floor of Central Airport next to the aquarium.. They are 10 baht each and I've rarely gotten a bad one. (They are the smaller round ones.)In general that stand has the best produce at the best prices that I've seen in Chiang Mai, but clearly I'm out of the loop as I didn't know about the Suan Dok restaurant. The Doi Kham stand also has a nice variety of vegetables and sometimes gets stuff I almost never see in Thailand. They are not there everyday though, and I'm not sure what days they are there.

Doi Kham has a regular store which is open daily at Chiang Mai university, at the intersection of Suthep Road and Canal Road (Khlong Chonnprathan). The building is on the opposite corner from Ton Payom market. Its the same produce at the same prices and they have the whole line of Doi Kham products, not just vegetables. They have a new section with organic vegetables. I used to think that all Doi Kham veggies were organic but I guess not, maybe the label just indicates that they are pesticide-free? You're right, they occasionally have stuff that you don't see elsewhere, like locally-grown peaches, and I like those round avocados.

Another newish place in May Kaidee's, located on Rachapakiani road next to the Sumit Hotel. This is a branch of the well-known May Kaidee restaurants in Bangkok near Khao San road. Dishes are also Thai-style and also fresh and crisp, not overcooked mush like elsewhere. The delightful owner Deuan also offers cooking classes during the day.

Cannot find the Sumit hotel and the road mentioned. Please indicate where. Thanks!

Cannot find the Sumit hotel and the road mentioned. Please indicate where. Thanks!

Rachapakinai road is parallel to Moonmuang and located between Moonmuang and Phrapokklao road. Its the street where the Red Cross office is located, as well as Wat Chiang Man.

I tried to find the Doi Kham shop located at the intersection of Suthep and Canal road with no luck. Nobody I asked knew of it. If I am standing in front of the Tesco Lotus Express, where is the Doi Kham shop located? What does the building it is in look like?

Thanks!

I tried to find the Doi Kham shop located at the intersection of Suthep and Canal road with no luck. Nobody I asked knew of it. If I am standing in front of the Tesco Lotus Express, where is the Doi Kham shop located? What does the building it is in look like?

Thanks!

The Doi Kham shop is in a two-storey white building which sits on the corner of CM University, just inside the university's fence. This would be the northwest corner of the Suthep/Canal intersection. The entrance to the building is the first gate on your right after you cross the intersection going up the hill toward Doi Suthep with CMU on your right. Doi Kham in on the ground floor and the entrance door is on the west side of the building.

• 4 months later...

The vegetarian restaurant referred to is called Pun Pun and is inside Wat Suan Dok towards the back, right next to the Monk Chat building. It has outdoor seating under a bo tree and I think its open all day through 7pm. Good salads and other Thai-style dishes, well-prepared and including some organic veggies from the owner's farm in Mae Taeng. Food is crisper and fresher than what's served in most veg restaurants here. Well worth a visit. The owner is a member of the NGO group which organises the weekly organic food market at JJ Market

Dragged this old posting up from the depths, as an unashamed meat eater when I read the word vegetarian my brain shuts down but yesterday I tried the vegetarian restaurant inside Wat Suan Dok and came away sated and impressed with the quality of the food, Lovely setting as well and very cheap. After all the excesses that I plan over the holiday period it will be a new years resolution to eat there at least once a week

The vegetarian restaurant referred to is called Pun Pun and is inside Wat Suan Dok towards the back, right next to the Monk Chat building. It has outdoor seating under a bo tree and I think its open all day through 7pm. Good salads and other Thai-style dishes, well-prepared and including some organic veggies from the owner's farm in Mae Taeng. Food is crisper and fresher than what's served in most veg restaurants here. Well worth a visit. The owner is a member of the NGO group which organises the weekly organic food market at JJ Market

Dragged this old posting up from the depths, as an unashamed meat eater when I read the word vegetarian my brain shuts down but yesterday I tried the vegetarian restaurant inside Wat Suan Dok and came away sated and impressed with the quality of the food, Lovely setting as well and very cheap. After all the excesses that I plan over the holiday period it will be a new years resolution to eat there at least once a week

Same here, I'm not a vegetarian now (I was for 24 years but gave it up for health reasons :o) but I dine regularly at Pun Pun cuz the food's great and so is the atmosphere.

Same here, I'm not a vegeatarian now (I was for 24 years but gave it up for health reasons :o) but I dine regularly at Pun Pun cuz the food's great and so is the atmosphere.

I know what you mean about health reasons, even if you were joking. My wife is a very strict vegetarian and I have to suppliment her diet with B's and Folic Acid or they refuse her blood when she goes to donate. I always wondered why vegetarian shoppers in health food stores in the US looked sickly.. Duh..

We frequent the streetside place next to Suan Dok, the one with the yellow and red banner, because they serve what my wife calls "J-food" which apparently is made without onions or garlic which fits with her particular brand of vegetarianism. She is very picky (fortunately for me) in what she buys and is an incredibly accomplished vegetarian cook in her own right and knows of little shops/stalls all over town. She liked Aum near the Monti for a while but doesn't go there any more.

Good recommendations, folks and we will try Wat Suan Dok and a few others altho I am happy eating anything including loins and tatties and beavers (Oh no)...

Same here, I'm not a vegetarian now (I was for 24 years but gave it up for health reasons :o) but I dine regularly at Pun Pun cuz the food's great and so is the atmosphere.

I'd love to know more about the experiences that convinced you that total vegetarianism is not the way to go - if you were being serious.

Many long term vegetarians seem to be coming to this conclusion, which makes me wonder what is best for optimum health. At this point, I think that a lot of raw fruits and vegetable juices, whole grains and cooked vegetables, some fish and a small amount of meat is the best way to go.

Does this agree with what you have learned?

Edited by Ulysses G.

I'd love to know more about the experiences that convinced you that total vegetarianism is not the way to go - if you were being serious.

Many long term vegetarians seem to be coming to this conclusion, which makes me wonder what is best for optimum health. At this point, I think that a lot of raw fruits and vegetable juices, whole grains and cooked vegetables, some fish and a small amount of meat is the best way to go.

Apologies UG - I know that you didn't post this to me but, if I may..

Since we are by nature omnivors, choosing a radically different diet can present problems.

If you wish, do a Google search with keywords such as vegetarian-diet-vitamin-protein-deficiencies, you will find many sites that provide comprehensive explanations such as this one...

Since some vitamins, minerals and proteins are available primarily in animal products, precautions have to be taken to round out your diet especially if you are going the total 'vegan' route.

And it gets even more complicated when living in a country where bottled water is the norm since many, many of nature's essential minerals are provided by the 'natural' water that we drink. Reverse-osmosis'd water is cool and safe but contains virtually none of the most important minerals we need on a daily basis and we all should be doing a quality mineral suppliment especially if you are a strict plant muncher.

I suppliment my wife's vegan diet with a multi-vitamin/mineral suppliment, Folic Acid, a B-complex (B-12, B-6, B-2), a mild and natural Rosehips-C and Flaxseed Oil. After we were together for several years, she was looking sickly and was turned down at a blood donation drive for hemoglobin anaemia. Further blood tests, under my direction, turned up B-12 and Folic Acid deficiency. Six months of self-medicated suppliments done did the cure and she is now in the absolute prime of health.

There are a few other problems that can come up over here such as finding iodized salt and vitamin D fortified milk in Thailand. And it is not only vegans who can come up short in required vites/minerals unless our diet is rich in the basics like lots of fruits, nuts, grains, nuts, and especially dark greens. Even then, if agricultural techniques are primitive and the same crops are grown over and over again on the same plots of land, while the vegies may look pretty, their mineral content can be seriously lacking...

Do what children do... eat dirt and rocks... minus the dogshit, of course... :o

Edited by Dustoff

Apologies UG - I know that you didn't post this to me but, if I may..

Never mind, this is an excellent post! :o

I've been a vegetarian all of my life (since a very young age) and have never eaten seafood. I became a total vegan about 10 years ago. I don't take any supplements.

I'm very healthy. :o

Just arrived in Chiang Mai and about to try out some of the places listed here. Thanks!

Same here, I'm not a vegeatarian now (I was for 24 years but gave it up for health reasons :o) but I dine regularly at Pun Pun cuz the food's great and so is the atmosphere.

I know what you mean about health reasons, even if you were joking. My wife is a very strict vegetarian and I have to suppliment her diet with B's and Folic Acid or they refuse her blood when she goes to donate. I always wondered why vegetarian shoppers in health food stores in the US looked sickly.. Duh..

The only sick vegetarians are those that don't make the effort to eat a balanced diet. A good vege diet provides everything you need. I cannot accept that anyone would have to start eating meat for health reasons, there simply is no science to back up a comment like that. "You Don't Need Meat" by Peter Cox is the definitive book on the subject, a must-read for anyone with any doubts.

http://www.amazon.com/You-Dont-Need-Meat-Peter/dp/031227761X

The only sick vegetarians are those that don't make the effort to eat a balanced diet. A good vege diet provides everything you need. I cannot accept that anyone would have to start eating meat for health reasons, there simply is no science to back up a comment like that.

Agreed. Been veggie for nearly 20 years, part of that as vegan. Most people think im much younger than my age, my weight is stable, as is my health (which only took a turn for the worse recently when i developed a thryoid gland problem). Before my thyroid condition, i was running around 10k in an hour at least three times a week as well as doing strength bearing exercises. I would hardly call that being sickly or unwell. I often do a mental groan when, if someone finds out im veggie, makes some observation about how i dont look sickly enough to be a veggie. (Strict veggie btw..more vegan than veggie). If someone looks sickly as a veggie then its poor diet choices within their diet. I think you will find that more meat eather look "sickly" than most veggies any day.

A person who eats meat often is less informed about dietary choices, and if anything the complexion, girth, and physcial condition of the average meat eater is often not up to par with the average veggie. But ...anyway..this is all sweeping generalisations. FOr some reason many meat eaters feel the need to jump on a soap box and blah blah about the detrimental effects of a non-meat diet. I have little patience for those who challenge my food choices as its none of anyones business. Funny thing is..meat eaters complain that veggies are the ones who blah blah blah about their diet, when i only ever see the ones yacking on about it being the meat eaters. ^^^ (Plus often i find some perversely like to goad. Rather childish really. Weird what ppl get their kicks from.)

Well as this topic is about where nice veggie places to eat are, and not about the benifits or lack of thereof of being a veggie, so ill end with saying that I'll check some of the recommended places out. Cheers :o

I don't see any carnivores here who are being hostile to vegetarians.

I have been a vegan/vegetarian for fairly long stretches of my life, but through reading about other people's experiences, have become convinced that vegetarianism is preferable to the common diet, but not the optimum diet for good health. Mr. Sabaijai's mention that he had stopped being a vegetarian for health reasons, made me interested in his reasons why. :o

i went over to the vegan rest behind the wat on suthep rd.

i am not vegan.

the food was fresh, the atmosphere was good, and the prices reasonable. but, perhaps it is that i have become accustomed to thai spice, generally the food was bland. tasty but bland. just no kick to it. nothing to make me anxious for another bite.

while i might go back i wouldn't fight the rush hour traffic, as i did today, to go there.

Edited by altman

I have been a vegan/vegetarian for fairly long stretches of my life, but through reading about other people's experiences, have become convinced that vegetarianism is preferable to the common diet, but not the optimum diet for good health. Mr. Sabaijai's mention that he had stopped being a vegetarian for health reasons, made me interested in his reasons why. :D

Well UG I was reluctant to respond for fear of igniting the debate that seems to have caught fire anyway!

Whenever vegetarians talk about the 'balanced' vegetarian diet I want to ask them for examples (but usually just let it slide!). Usually their diet includes lots of fresh soy products, which are toxic and interfere with the GI tract's absorption of vitamins, minerals and other nutrients, not to mention elevating estrogen levels to potentially unhealthy levels (to the point where male children have grown breasts).

At any rate after a thorough physical exam found my blood to be anemic, I decided to try adding small amounts of meat to my diet - mainly for added protein and iron -- and I felt noticeably better, more energy etc.

But the main reason I stopped was I grew tired of inconveniencing those around me, having to check with dinner hosts to make sure they had something I could eat, having long discussions with restaurant servers, having to send dishes back because they accidentally contained meat, and so on. I ultimately decided that whatever health benefits I might be gaining from not eating meat were being canceled by the bad vibes generated by foisting my regimen on other people :o I'm much happier being among the meat-eating majority ... even if it means dying young. There's more to life than preserving one's health (and anyway I now believe a truly balanced diet includes meat).

But the occasional vegetarian meal doesn't do much harm :D

I have been a vegan/vegetarian for fairly long stretches of my life, but through reading about other people's experiences, have become convinced that vegetarianism is preferable to the common diet, but not the optimum diet for good health. Mr. Sabaijai's mention that he had stopped being a vegetarian for health reasons, made me interested in his reasons why. :D

Well UG I was reluctant to respond for fear of igniting the debate that seems to have caught fire anyway!

Whenever vegetarians talk about the 'balanced' vegetarian diet I want to ask them for examples (but usually just let it slide!). Usually their diet includes lots of fresh soy products, which are toxic and interfere with the GI tract's absorption of vitamins, minerals and other nutrients, not to mention elevating estrogen levels to potentially unhealthy levels (to the point where male children have grown breasts).

At any rate after a thorough physical exam found my blood to be anemic, I decided to try adding small amounts of meat to my diet - mainly for added protein and iron -- and I felt noticeably better, more energy etc.

But the main reason I stopped was I grew tired of inconveniencing those around me, having to check with dinner hosts to make sure they had something I could eat, having long discussions with restaurant servers, having to send dishes back because they accidentally contained meat, and so on. I ultimately decided that whatever health benefits I might be gaining from not eating meat were being canceled by the bad vibes generated by foisting my regimen on other people :o I'm much happier being among the meat-eating majority ... even if it means dying young. There's more to life than preserving one's health (and anyway I now believe a truly balanced diet includes meat).

But the occasional vegetarian meal doesn't do much harm :D

So soy is the only vegetable source of protein available I guess?...ahem, I think not.

Plenty of spinach, broccoli and other dark green veggies keeps the anemia at bay!

I'm with you wholeheartedly on the inconvenience issue however; a vegetarian diet can at times be highly inconveniencing and invariably impacts on one's social life, especially here when your pals are heading off for "moo ka-ta" or to khao soy and noodle soup venues that have only meaty varieties. I chose my path primarily for moral reasons however and hence it's not something you can walk away from as easily as if you undertook it for health reasons and I say that without any judgement of those in the latter camp.