Thai gov. to tax (remitted) income from abroad for tax residents starting 2024 - Part II

13 hours ago, chiang mai said:

You are no longer discussing the assessability of cc transaction and are instead exploring ways to evade tax.

You are in no position to provide proof to your claim.

• Confused 1

On 10/18/2024 at 11:11 AM, chiang mai said:

I am more than pretty sure, I am certain in my own mind that is the case. The logical reasoning has been set out numerous times by various members, ATM withdrawals and electronic funds transfers are only the transport mechanism, just as carrying cash on a [lane is the transport mechanism. If TT remittances are potentially tax assessable, so is every other form of transport.

You cannot be sure as there is no proof, but still you are . Again there is no logic when it comes to dealing with tax law in any country and especially not in wonderful TH.

Edited by stat
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, anrcaccount said:

Hard disagree -it is perfectly reasonable to say something is unconfirmed, because....... it is unconfirmed!

It's also reasonable to state an opinion that something might be untrue, that's just as valid an opinion as stating 'you're certain' , in the absence of any confirmation. 

A point very well made!

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, chiang mai said:

I disagree with respect to logic and the laws of finance.

Your home country revolving credit agreement obliges the credit card company to pay, on your behalf, the cost of any goods or services that you authorise and in turn obliges you the cardholder to reimburse the credit card company.

In Thailand, you offer up your credit card as payment for the rent on your Bangkok apartment. The landlord accepts the offer and is provided with consideration, by the credit card company., on your behalf. Therein, the three essential components of any contract have been met, offer, acceptance and consideration and significantly, that contract was made in Thailand.

When the credit card company pays the landlord, the remittance has been made, on your behalf, for goods or services you specified and received whilst in Thailand.

With respect to iHerb: importing goods into Thailand using a foreign credit card strikes me as not Thai assessable (given all the usual criteria about the source of funds used to pay the bill)/

You are mixing up finance with tax law...

• Sad 1

Regarding the debate about cc transaction.

Why not take out a loan and pay the loan back several years later (when not in TH)? Should be OK in my mind.

My favorite still is to have the relatives pay my rent directly and hence gift me the money that should be OK in my book. In a lot of jurisdictions in the west it makes perfect sense to gift some money to your children.

My parents could even rent the house outright under their own names and I just life there as a caretaker.

3 hours ago, jacob29 said:

Malaysia has explicitly listed credit card payments as coming under the umbrella for FSI (foreign source income). That doesn't mean Thailand will adopt the same ruling, but odds are they will.

With fringe benefits there may not even be a transfer at all - if you're staying rent free at company owned premises, there are going to be tax implications. Which highlights that the precise method of payment is not the main consideration.

Thanks, that's useful to understand.

It seems Malaysia now joins a list of countries where credit card transactions van be  considered as assessible, either directly or vis some form of transaction tax. The anecdotal examples is mounting.

Fringe benefits and benefits in kind are embedded in the Thai tax code: 

"Taxable income covers both cash and benefits in kind".

https://www.forvismazars.com/th/en/insights/doing-business-in-thailand/payroll/personal-income-tax

2 hours ago, stat said:

You are mixing up finance with tax law...

The two things are part and parcel of the same thing, you should know that if you're working with international taxation! Where the contract is formed has a direct bearing on  its tax implications. If the purchase or contract was made overseas, it has no relevance to TRD, but because it was executed in Thailand is does.

Anecdotally: I spent one particular year working in Hong Kong but the work was such that I was in HK for less than 180 days in the tax year. HK PIT was taken from my salary every month, regardless of whether I was in HK of not. Bonus was paid at the end of the work and this was paid gross of tax. Ultimately the decision to tax my bonus or not came down to where my contract was signed, which was in the UK.

7 hours ago, Yumthai said:

Maybe you should the thread to understand my point.

You use a foreign CC in Thailand. It's a loan/credit line from a foreign financial institution/company. If it's never refunded (paying back only interests) it cannot be assessable income in Thailand.

Thank you Yoda... Thread shall I read to understand point you have (Sorry, I know it was a Typo but I couldn't resist 🙂.. In my defence I'm up before 4:30 so yet to have a coffee 🙂 )

IMHO the only germane point about Credit Cards is the money used to pay them off, if you never pay it off then clearly it's a loan & you've not remitted money anywhere, if you do pay them off then (IMHO) it becomes a discussion about the funds used to pay them off more than the credit card itself. 

Now, about that coffee....