Residents Fear for Their Safety as Land Subsides Under Village Road: Near Pattaya

Georgealbert

IMG_5876.jpeg

Picture courtesy of Khaosod.

Residents of a local village in Bang Lamung, Chonburi, are gripped with fear after land subsidance formed behind their community due to water erosion. The situation has raised concerns about the possible collapse of nearby homes, prompting urgent calls for municipal intervention.

On September 22, reporters visited Soi Wat Boon Sampan 11, which connects to Soi Wat Boon Sampan 9 in Nong Prue Subdistrict, Bang Lamung District, after receiving complaints from local residents. They found that water erosion had caused the soil to subside beneath a concrete road at the back of the village, leaving the community living in constant fear.

Upon investigation, it was revealed that water from damaged drainage pipes had eroded the soil under the road, creating the large cavity. The area is adjacent to a large, water-filled excavation pit, and is dangerously close to several homes, further amplifying residents’ fears. Locals are concerned that if the issue is not resolved swiftly, both the road and nearby houses may collapse.

The Nong Prue Municipality has placed traffic cones to prevent large vehicles from driving over the affected road. However, residents believe this is only a temporary fix and inadequate given the severity of the situation. They worry that heavy rainfall could worsen the situation, leading to further erosion and increasing the risk to their safety.

A resident living just a few houses away from the area described her growing fear, explaining that the problem had been reported to the municipality but no substantial action had been taken. "At first, the damage was small, but now it has grown much larger. If it rains heavily again, it could collapse at any moment," she said.

The residents are pleading with the Nong Prue Municipality to address the issue urgently, especially as the rainy season continues, which could lead to further damage and endanger their lives and property. They are calling for immediate assistance to alleviate the suffering of the community, who are left living in fear of a potential disaster.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-09-23

news-footer-3.png

image.png

• Sad 3

7 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

The Nong Prue Municipality has placed traffic cones to prevent large vehicles from driving over the affected road. However, residents believe this is only a temporary fix and inadequate given the severity of the situation. They worry that heavy rainfall could worsen the situation, leading to further erosion and increasing the risk to their safety.

Inactive officials not at work again

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I hope that they all have their houses insured. I guess they can now try to sue the city if something happens since it’s been reported and not taken care of. Good luck. Hopefully it doesn’t come to this. 

Actually called (in Google Maps) - Soi Mu Ban Classic Home 2.

Lol - I've gone around that puddle a dozen or so times on soi Padtanakan 4 (short-cutting between Khao Talo and Thung Klom-Tan Man 9), and never knew it was there. 

I can see why the residents are nervous. There's a large housing development (Classic Home 1, 2 and 3) on the other side of that brick wall. Some houses are literally right against that wall.

Here is the Sept 2023 Google Street View Image:
Untitled.jpg.26ea1859a325fd38d2a9f583b979315f.jpg    

And here is the "satellite view" (the road is on the left side of the pond). 
Untitled2.jpg.066686e73db57b239a4adbecd37f1ffc.jpg

The "village - and most of the sois on that side of Soi Khao Noi (or Boon Samphan) all slant downhill towards that pond. I imagine there was a lot of water flowing down there during that last few monsoons we've had.

And I wouldn't dip my toe in that "swimming pond". There are "recycling" and "garbage dump" places off to the right side of that pond and you can bet that water wouldn't be safe to drink - in most western countries.

Edited by Kerryd
  • Thanks 1