France's New Interior Minister Vows to Restore Order with Tougher Immigration Policies

Social Media

image.png

Bruno Retailleau, France's new interior minister, has vowed to crack down on illegal immigration, promising to expel those who have "broken in" to the country as part of a broader effort to strengthen law and order. In his first days in office, Retailleau emphasized the importance of restoring order, a theme he repeated in his inaugural cabinet meeting under Prime Minister Michel Barnier. “The first is to restore order, the second is to restore order, and the third is to restore order. The French people want more order. Order in the street, order on the frontiers,” he stated.

Retailleau, a veteran of the conservative Republicans (LR) party, outlined his priorities, which include addressing illegal immigration, cracking down on violence against police, and taking a firmer stance against radical Islam and drug trafficking. His stance reflects the growing influence of Marine Le Pen’s National Rally (RN), a far-right party that has demanded tougher immigration policies in exchange for its support of Barnier’s coalition government.

In an interview with *Le Figaro*, Retailleau promised new legislative measures aimed at curbing illegal immigration. He stated that France must “not shy away from strengthening our legislative arsenal” and pledged to increase deportations of undocumented immigrants. "My objective is to put a stop to illegal entries and to increase exits, particularly for illegal immigrants, because one should not stay in France when one has broken in,” Retailleau said.

Retailleau also signaled his willingness to bypass parliamentary delays by using executive decrees, noting that the interior minister has considerable regulatory powers. In a nod to Le Pen’s demands, Retailleau told *CNews* that France and other European nations should pressure the European Union to tighten its immigration laws. He pointed to Germany’s recent decision to impose temporary border checks as evidence of a broader shift in European attitudes toward immigration.

“I think we must forge an alliance with the major European countries that want to toughen up and have already toughened up their legislative arsenal to change European rules,” he said. Retailleau added that he would soon meet with state prefects from regions with the highest numbers of immigrants to instruct them to “expel more” and “regularize less.” He also expressed his intent to consult with North African countries to prevent more undocumented migrants from reaching France.

Retailleau’s hardline approach has stirred controversy, especially among France's left-wing opposition. The Left-wing New Popular Front alliance accused him of racism, pointing to past comments in which he attributed urban riots to “third-generation immigrants who have reverted to their ethnic origins.” Last year, Retailleau also courted controversy when he appeared to praise aspects of French colonization, describing it as a “dark time” but also “a beautiful time, with hands outstretched.”

Retailleau’s rise to power has heightened tensions within President Emmanuel Macron’s centrist party. Some of Macron’s MPs have expressed discomfort with Retailleau’s rhetoric and the government’s apparent alignment with the far-right RN. This tension came to a head when Barnier had to placate Le Pen after his finance minister, Antoine Armand, described her party as outside the acceptable “Republican arc.” Armand later walked back his comments, stating that he would “receive all political forces represented in parliament,” including the RN.

Le Pen, recognizing her party’s newfound influence, suggested Barnier should clarify his government's philosophy. Her advisor, Philippe Olivier, was more direct, warning that if the government sought an immediate vote of no-confidence, it was "on the right track."

As Retailleau sets out to implement his hardline agenda, it remains to be seen how successful he will be in navigating the political challenges posed by both the left and the far right. Nonetheless, his tenure signals a new era in France’s approach to immigration and security.

Based on a report from: Daily Telegraph 2024-09-26

news-logo-btm.jpg

news-footer-4.png

image.png

11 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Oh well, there goes France's chances of wining future world cups !

france-team-photo.jpg?quality=75&width=1200&auto=webp

I wasn't aware they were illegal immigrants. Why would you think that? In any case, Argentina disposed of them easily.

Back on topic, it's good to see the penny has finally dropped in France. I guess politicians can only gaslight for so long before the electorate grow tired of the lies. "Don't believe your lying eyes" is not a long term strategy. 

1 minute ago, JonnyF said:

I wasn't aware they were illegal immigrants. Why would you think that? In any case, Argentina disposed of them easily.

My point was not really about illegal immigration but immigration and changes in the country's ethnicity. Chance of a white man in the French team clearly are reducing

32 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

My point was not really about illegal immigration but immigration and changes in the country's ethnicity. Chance of a white man in the French team clearly are reducing

I couldn't care really, as long as they are selected on ability alone and not DEI quotas.

I do find it amusing that the likes of the BBC's Elidh Barbour have no issue with this though. I guess diversity is only important when there are too many white people on the team. 😂

https://www.gg2.net/bbc-receives-more-than-200-racism-complaints-over-presenters-comment-on-englands-all-white-lionesses/

image.png.d90a3a3cabd8c45494aa0ec6826c9576.png

Misguided UK Tories in the UK paid France millions to help curtail thousands of illegal immigrants crossing from France by rubber dingies. 

The French like the English are wimps when it comes to border controll. 

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Social Media said:

he appeared to praise aspects of French colonization, describing it as a “dark time” but also “a beautiful time, with hands outstretched.”

Well, of course, if you had colonies where you insisted you were superior to the locals, you can't blame the locals later for believing you and wanting to have a good life.

images.jpeg.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1