Can You Work With A O Visa?

Hi!

I am living in thailand since 3 years and I am going to get married soon to a thai man.

Preparing the file, the thai government ask me for my monthly income papers, which I thought was only asked if you were a man ( I am supposed to be rich enough to marry him? :o

Then, I checked on the internet about the immigration of foreigners marrying thai national, and they only talk about foreign husbands with thai wives.

When you apply for your O visa abroad, can you work in thailand with this visa legally or are you supposed to obtain a work permit from your company?

If someone can give me some information , thanks a lot. :D:D:D

You can work, no worries.

BUT that is only until you get caught and then you will likely be deported with a stamp in your passport stating that you are "persona non grata"

And by that, work means almost anything at all and not necessarily for money either.

Hi!

I am living in thailand since 3 years and I am going to get married soon to a thai man.

Preparing the file, the thai government ask me for my monthly income papers, which I thought was only asked if you were a man ( I am supposed to be rich enough to marry him? :o

Then, I checked on the internet about the immigration of foreigners marrying thai national, and they only talk about foreign husbands with thai wives.

When you apply for your O visa abroad, can you work in thailand with this visa legally or are you supposed to obtain a work permit from your company?

If someone can give me some information , thanks a lot. :D:D:D

Have a fish around as i am sure there are threads relating to your request,sure i seen somewhere here with a non imm o visa you can easily apply for a work permit,anyway good luck on your marraige. :D

You cannot work with a non o visa, but if you apply at a thai embassy overseas, your marriage certificate is sufficient to get the o visa in your passport. If you then apply for a job, your company will need it to be change to a non B & then apply for the working permit. Being married to a thai national (of any sex) does not automatically mean you can work with out work permit.

With the non o visa, when you try to extend it for a year that is usually when they want to see proof of your income or your husbands land/proprty papers etc. I would suggest going with your future husband to the local immigration office & checking it out as the financial requirements for an extension tend to be different for farang women maried to thai men.

Let us know how you get on.

Boo, are u sure about this? :o

I recently quit my job and am waiting to start a new one in August. My B visa was running out so I applied for a Non O based on my recent marriage. I also informed my local immigration office about my new job and they told me that I could still get a work permit on my O visa without having to change it to a B which is what I'm sure I have read somewhere else on this site. :D

Scoobithai, I don't know why you have been asked to provide proof of income as that was not the case when I got married last month.

My understanding was that the holder of an O visa could also hold a work permit. Now to add to the confusion, I was told (many years ago mind you) by my local immigration officer (the nice one with the curly hair, boo) that I could help my husband in his business without needing a work permit.That my husband is the owner of his business and I would be 'helping' him instead of 'working' seemed to have been the general idea. I don't know if this is a local policy, general policy towards wives of Thai men or what. Suspect if falls into that "just the little woman" category :o

My understanding was that the farang wife was not required to show any income at all since it is the husband who takes care of the wife (little woman category again!). My husband has only been required to show business license and photocopies of bank books in order to show him supporting me. What immigration office asked for this proof, scoobithai?