What airline is the best option for domestic flights these days?

Old Fool

I recently noticed that the usual airline companies are all charging baggage and seat fees now.  The RT flights from Bangkok to Phuket have doubled in price from before C-19 because of these fees.  Thai Airways seems to be the only option I found that doesn't rob you of fees and gives 25kg limit on checked bags.  4100 THB for a RT flight at the least popular times of day.  I recall maybe 2,100 THB 6 years ago for the same flight, and the times of the flights didn't affect prices like now.

Is there a trick to get good rates besides the usual websites?  I'm wondering if locals pay over 4000 THB for these flights.

• Confused 1

Any time I'm flying around the country I send my suitcase with Kerry express or flash courier to my destination .

Basically can send a 20kg+ suitcase from one end of country to other for 5-600bht and it arrives in 2 days .

Plus you don't need bother waiting at baggage claim .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ronster said:

Any time I'm flying around the country I send my suitcase with Kerry express or flash courier to my destination .

Basically can send a 20kg+ suitcase from one end of country to other for 5-600bht and it arrives in 2 days .

Plus you don't need bother waiting at baggage claim .

But surely at that price you can get it baggage checked through with Air Asia?

19 hours ago, Old Fool said:

I recently noticed that the usual airline companies are all charging baggage and seat fees now.  The RT flights from Bangkok to Phuket have doubled in price from before C-19 because of these fees.  Thai Airways seems to be the only option I found that doesn't rob you of fees and gives 25kg limit on checked bags.  4100 THB for a RT flight at the least popular times of day.  I recall maybe 2,100 THB 6 years ago for the same flight, and the times of the flights didn't affect prices like now.

Is there a trick to get good rates besides the usual websites?  I'm wondering if locals pay over 4000 THB for these flights.

Unfortunately,

Post Covid excuses from airlines and other nonsense, it is what it is these days.

Yes, of course, Thai nationals pay the same for flights.

I haven't found any shortcuts to get better deals.

Demand-driven pricing for airlines these days. As more tickets are sold for a flight, the price goes up. And using attractive headline price to grab attention, with lots of extras like bags, seat, card payment fee then added. Bangkok Airways have higher prices, fewer add-ons, better level of service and lounge to use at BKK if you are transferring to another flight with them. For cheaper domestic flights at times others don’t want to fly, eg Tues late evening in low season.

27 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

But surely at that price you can get it baggage checked through with Air Asia?

From Roi et to bkk yes for a bit more but then involves getting case and transferring it to next flight or airport and then waiting again for baggage. Much easier get off plane and head straight to hotel.

Bangkok Airways and Thai both include 20kg checked bag, seat assignment and a snack/drink plus don't seem concerned about carry-on bag weight. The first price you see is what you pay.

All others are low cost and add for all of the above plus a credit card fee. The first price you see won't be the final price. If you are checking a bag, make sure you go to the final step to see how the price compares to Bangkok Air or Thai. 

Prices are indeed up. Total inflation since 2019 is about 9%, but prices have gone up more than that. 

Bangkok Air is the best, but probbly most expensive.

They do not provide a snack.  They provide a meal even on a one hour flight.  Chicken and noodles, a roll, dessert, coffee, water, tea all included.  Plus, they have a lounge pre flight.  Also, their flights from my expereince are not always full becasue people are cheap.

15 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Bangkok Air is the best, but probbly most expensive.

They do not provide a snack.  They provide a meal even on a one hour flight.  Chicken and noodles, a roll, dessert, coffee, water, tea all included.  Plus, they have a lounge pre flight.  Also, their flights from my expereince are not always full becasue people are cheap.

A much better and more civilized way to travel ...

1 hour ago, Ajarnbrian said:

And using attractive headline price to grab attention, with lots of extras like bags, seat, card payment fee then added.

Indeed, and not just the domestic. A lot got caught out when BA introduced a cabin baggage only fare.

56 minutes ago, DFPhuket said:

Prices are indeed up. Total inflation since 2019 is about 9%, but prices have gone up more than that. 

There may be a levelling off. I have just booked another flight with Emirates back to the UK as I did last Sep. Bit surprised it was about £60 cheaper this year for the same class of fare.