Volunteer Non-Immigrant O Visas

Is there a restriction on income levels for a non-immigrant O volunteer visa in Thailand? I understand that you are not allowed to receive a salary and the income should be to cover accommodation, food, and other small expenses. I couldn't see a guideline anywhere. Obviously, accommodation costs can vary greatly so I was wondering at what point approximately, would income levels for a volunteer with a working permit, working for a foundation, become a working non-immigrant-B visa in terms of income levels if that makes sense.  LOL could be a bit like how long is a piece of string.

• Confused 2

No, there is no specific income ceiling requirement for the Non-Immigrant O (Volunteer) visa in Thailand. The primary focus is on ensuring that the applicant is genuinely volunteering for a non-profit organization or government agency and is not seeking employment.

However, it's important to note that you may need to provide proof of sufficient funds to support yourself during your stay in Thailand. This could include bank statements or other financial documents. The exact amount required may vary depending on the individual circumstances and the length of your stay.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, stament said:

Is there a restriction on income levels for a non-immigrant O volunteer visa in Thailand? I understand that you are not allowed to receive a salary and the income should be to cover accommodation, food, and other small expenses. I couldn't see a guideline anywhere. Obviously, accommodation costs can vary greatly so I was wondering at what point approximately, would income levels for a volunteer with a working permit, working for a foundation, become a working non-immigrant-B visa in terms of income levels if that makes sense.  LOL could be a bit like how long is a piece of string.

Visas are obtained outside of Thailand. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, bigt3116 said:

No, there is no specific income ceiling requirement for the Non-Immigrant O (Volunteer) visa in Thailand. The primary focus is on ensuring that the applicant is genuinely volunteering for a non-profit organization or government agency and is not seeking employment.

However, it's important to note that you may need to provide proof of sufficient funds to support yourself during your stay in Thailand. This could include bank statements or other financial documents. The exact amount required may vary depending on the individual circumstances and the length of your stay.

So there is no specific income ceiling so 50,000baht per month income can be on a volunteer visa? I would have thought it would have to be a working visa at such income levels.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Colabamumbai said:

Visas are obtained outside of Thailand. 

You can definitely obtain some visa types in Thailand.  During covid times it was common for immigration within Thailand to issue volunteer visas to anyone willing to pay extra "fees".  

Anyone considering a volunteer visa should know that those visas are looked at with suspicion and they may get extra scrutiny when entering the country or applying for any other visa type in the future.  I wouldn't consider getting one even for legitimate volunteer work.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phillip9 said:

You can definitely obtain some visa types in Thailand.  During covid times it was common for immigration within Thailand to issue volunteer visas to anyone willing to pay extra "fees".  

Anyone considering a volunteer visa should know that those visas are looked at with suspicion and they may get extra scrutiny when entering the country or applying for any other visa type in the future.  I wouldn't consider getting one even for legitimate volunteer work.  

Why do they look on you with extra suspicion?

1 minute ago, stament said:

Why do they look on you with extra suspicion?

Like I said, In the past those visas were issued to anyone willing to pay for them.  Many people not actually volunteering bought them.  So if you have one in your passport, you should expect immigration to suspect you just bought it, and are not a really volunteering.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, stament said:

It is a hypothetical question, you are spot on!

You posted the following in March 2022......

"Can you be paid as a volunteer, if so are there limits or ceilings with regards to salaries?" 

You also started same thread August which was removed and now another.

Thread closed. 

• Haha 1