Destination Thailand Visa Sparks Interest, Faces Future Hurdles

webfact

15 minutes ago, Rolo89 said:

Well you can't work in Thailand on a DTV other than abroad remote work, so any money earned doesn't need to be paid into a thai bank account.

I can just take a short flight to another country, withdraw up to $20'000 USD from my Guernsey bank account where my company dividends are paid and Thailand can't trace or tax it.

If I decide to pay tax in Thailand then I won't pay the 35% tax rate while the services received don't justify it. 

sorry, i'm not up to date. did the TRD make it clear that someone on a DTV who works remotely and stays in thailand for more than 180 days does not have to pay any taxes?

thanks for the clarification with a reliable source / link ...

Edited by motdaeng
typo
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, motdaeng said:

sorry, i'm not up to date. did the TRD make it clear that someone on a DTV who works remotely and stays in thailand for more than 180 days does not have to pay any taxes?

My post has nothing to do with saying DTV people staying over 180 days don't have to pay tax? Everyone knows they do.

12 hours ago, webfact said:

Although no official numbers have been released, social media bloggers estimate that between 1,500 and 2,500 visas have been issued in the first 10 weeks.

That would be a surprisingly low number, considering the "free for all" nature of this visa.

If that's really true, Thailand seems to have lost much of its appeal for digital nomads, beyond the question of visas.

27 minutes ago, motdaeng said:

No clarification is required. There aren't any special tax rules for DTV holders, they are liable to pay tax just like anyone else.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Rolo89 said:

My post has nothing to do with saying DTV people staying over 180 days don't have to pay tax? Everyone knows they do.

thank you, but why did you suggest bringing cash from neighboring countries into thailand?

who agian should bring cash into thailand to avoid taxes?

your suggestion doesn’t really make any sense, but never mind!

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, zmisha said:

Thai wife to the rescue!

thai wife has to present also a passport / id card, than she may (should) pay the taxes ... nice try to frame your wife (or girlfriend) ... :cheesy:

Edited by motdaeng
add text

12 hours ago, webfact said:

bloggers estimate that between 1,500 and 2,500 visas have been issued in the first 10 weeks

This is actually a very conservative estimate.

The groups we manage, combined with the number of inquiries we receive, far surpass those figures, and that's only according to our internal metrics.

Also we ran a poll about a week ago, and almost more people answered saying they were on Destination Thailand Visas than Tourist visas.

Edited by ThaiVisaCentre
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, webfact said:

social media bloggers estimate that between 1,500 and 2,500 visas have been issued in the first 10 weeks.

How would social media bloggers have the slightest idea 😂 given all the media noise around this new visa you would think 25,000 had been issued 😂 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, zmisha said:

Thai wife to the rescue!

You can change about 800 USD a time in Malaysia without a passport or about 3000 USD in SP without a passport, the small money changers in Thailand often don't ask for a passport. The big ones always do.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Rolo89 said:

I can just take a short flight to another country, withdraw up to $20'000 USD from my Guernsey bank account where my company dividends are paid and Thailand can't trace or tax it.

Guernsey is signed up to the Common Reporting Standard. The bank will require you to submit your tax number for your Thai residence. It is under a treaty obligation to report the money withdrawn to the Thai tax authorities, subject to the normal conditions. 

Obviously you can attempt to illegally evade tax payments, but the net is tightening considerably faster than you seem aware. Those off shore accounts are not some secret hideaway any longer.