S/E Asian Thai Consulates going to eVisa online system effective Tuesday Oct 8th

1 hour ago, Rob Browder said:

When/if a limit is imposed, the agents running the vans will know first, and it will be reported here.  Predicting the future with immigration - and the variations between offices and entry-points - is a guessing-game.  We only know what "has happened" / "is happening now," in most cases.

Wow, that seems unstable 🤣

21 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Wow, that seems unstable 🤣

This is the reality of living as a foreigner in Thailand, unless one has Permanent Residence or becomes a Thai citizen.   The only difference between types of entry/stay, is the "odds" of problems.

I stick with my Non-O "based on retirement" extensions, because history indicates I am unlikely to have a problem in the future.  That said, they have changed the rules for these before - and could again, without warning - and with or without without "grandfathering" the current qualifications.

12 minutes ago, Rob Browder said:

This is the reality of living as a foreigner in Thailand, unless one has Permanent Residence or becomes a Thai citizen.   The only difference between types of entry/stay, is the "odds" of problems.

I stick with my Non-O "based on retirement" extensions, because history indicates I am unlikely to have a problem in the future.  That said, they have changed the rules for these before - and could again, without warning - and with or without without "grandfathering" the current qualifications.

Congrats on being the most doom & gloom poster I've ever seen. Fancy not being able to live an enjoyable and stable life in Thailand unless you become a permanent resident or citizen.

I'm living a happy & stable life with my 1900 baht (A$80) per year to maintain 12 months retirement extensions thank you 😀

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Rob Browder said:

This is the reality of living as a foreigner in Thailand, unless one has Permanent Residence or becomes a Thai citizen. The only difference between types of entry/stay, is the "odds" of problems.

I see. Have you maintained a base in a country of citizenship or permanent residence in case something should happen? Or are you just hoping things will be Ok?

Edited by JimTripper

On 10/12/2024 at 3:42 PM, Pattaya57 said:

Congrats on being the most doom & gloom poster I've ever seen. Fancy not being able to live an enjoyable and stable life in Thailand unless you become a permanent resident or citizen.

I'm living a happy & stable life with my 1900 baht (A$80) per year to maintain 12 months retirement extensions thank you 😀

My life has been fairly "enjoyable and stable" in Thailand, for many years - but I don't pretend to know the future.  I use the same permitted-stay as you do, and I hope the rules do not change.  The point is to be sure you can take "enjoyable and stable" with you, if things change unexpectedly. 

I would not be "gloomy" even if things were spoiled here, because I am prepared for such an occurrence - though I would be disappointed.  Those unprepared could become quite "gloomy," I reckon.

On 10/12/2024 at 3:47 PM, JimTripper said:

I see. Have you maintained a base in a country of citizenship or permanent residence in case something should happen? Or are you just hoping things will be Ok?

I have no fixed-assets in Thailand I could not afford to lose - is Rule #1. 

I have the wherewithal to move to another country if something goes wrong here. 

I keep-tabs on the immigration rules in a few other "2nd Choice" countries, just in case.

Edited by Rob Browder