Deadly Bus Fire Tragedy Highlights Safety Failures on Thai Roads

webfact

4 minutes ago, MikeandDow said:

you need to learn to post Not assumption nor bs Facts are what is required or don't post just learn

I am very sorry that I did not sufficiently respect the dignity and wisdom of a 'Gold Member'. 
I vow never to contradict such a high-ranking member again!

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Is that inside the passenger compartment itself?

Do bus drivers always drive the bus?.....or are they required to inspect each bus they get assigned to? I assume they are given the appropriate training to know what to look for during each inspection.

SAME bus...doh!!!

49 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Do bus drivers always drive the bus?.....or are they required to inspect each bus they get assigned to? I assume they are given the appropriate training to know what to look for during each inspection.

5 additional tanks, permanently installed on a bus, which has passed the mandatory inspection, are not comparable to a worn out tire, to a leaking air brakes pipe, or to a leaking fuel tank. How may a bust driver refuse to drive his employer's approved bus and hope to keep his job, especially in Thailand?

Edited by AndreasHG
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, AndreasHG said:

5 additional tanks, permanently installed on a bus, which has passed the mandatory inspection, are not comparable to a worn out tire, to a leaking air brakes pipe, or to a leaking fuel tank. How may a bust driver refuse to drive his employer's approved bus and hope to keep his job, especially in Thailand?

Everybody is picking on the Individual which is wrong  it is the collective People,  without a collective change in peoples attitude towards safety nothing will happen  its going to be hard but people should say NO that is unsafe not going to do that !! the government should help these people who say NO to unsafe practices its called backing them up  Normally it would be the unions, there has been nothing from the unions in regard to the bus fire very shame full

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The blame for the deaths (murders) of those innocents must be and should be laid at the feet of corrupt officials  and the corrupt Keystone brigade, plus a  bus operator who ignored the regulations in a myriad of ways.

6 hours ago, MikeandDow said:

I believe you mean a Culture war

Not a war.  Just a gradual change in people's attitudes and ideas about what is normal/accetable behaviour.

Even though we consider Western societies to be more advanced when it comes to safety, transparency and accountability, it wasn't always like that.

This is challenging for Thais, however, as non-accountability and non-criticism form such a central part of their customs and culture.  As I said in another comment, there would need to be a huge shift in the idea of what it means to be Thai and to live in Thailand for things like this to become a thing of the past.

18 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Not a war.  Just a gradual change in people's attitudes and ideas about what is normal/accetable behaviour.

Even though we consider Western societies to be more advanced when it comes to safety, transparency and accountability, it wasn't always like that.

This is challenging for Thais, however, as non-accountability and non-criticism form such a central part of their customs and culture.  As I said in another comment, there would need to be a huge shift in the idea of what it means to be Thai and to live in Thailand for things like this to become a thing of the past.

This gradual change could take generation by doing this it would still cost lives not that i am disagreeing with you but I can not see Thais doing this over a generations it need hard action now it does not mean to change any laws or protocols Thailand has be enforcing these by the government police and the unions. the unions have not said anything do not know how strong they are here but they can do a lot to ensure safety protocols are implemented  

Edited by MikeandDow

48 minutes ago, MikeandDow said:

without a collective change in peoples attitude towards safety nothing will happen 

I agree and I would say "without a collective change in people's attitude towards the rule of law nothing will happen".

As the Minister of Transport sinks into his Plush Armchair, Brandy Glass in hand, inside his 10 Million Baht home, Benz parked on the spacious Drive along with other high priced Cars owned by the Family, ask him what he is going to do about it and/or if he is going to lose any sleep over what happened !!

• Thumbs Up 1

One thing needs to be done in very short order. Anyone in any position of management or supervisory status in that bus company, should be facing a 30 year prison sentence with no parole or any chance of early release. Anyone who took back handers to facilitate blind eye inspections, should be facing at least 20 years in prison. Make an example of these underhand schnides and it may possibly make others think twice.

• Love It 1

8 minutes ago, Surasak said:

One thing needs to be done in very short order. Anyone in any position of management or supervisory status in that bus company, should be facing a 30 year prison sentence with no parole or any chance of early release. Anyone who took back handers to facilitate blind eye inspections, should be facing at least 20 years in prison. Make an example of these underhand schnides and it may possibly make others think twice.

And What does that achieve nothing there are men /woman behind them waiting there chance at the trough  need to take away the trough

you have a hang them high attitude which will get you no where

Edited by MikeandDow
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, MikeandDow said:

And What does that achieve nothing there are men /woman behind them waiting there chance at the trough  need to take away the trough

you have a hang them high attitude which will get you no where

Its nice to see them kicking for a minute or more though!

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

You can start with retraining your police force.

Cops turning a blind eye to violations is giving the wrong impression to road users. 

Minor violations like overloading, at times I see riding 4 on a motorcycle without helmets. 

Many times I see cops riding their white Nmax and PCX ignoring other riders breaking the law. 

100% correct! I commented similar on another post like this. You can make any law(s) you want, but they are worthless unless enforced. If this (and other accidents) had been in a western country, all who were involved would be going to jail immediately. So, in addition to consistent enforcement, the court system needs to be overhauled as well. There are minimal consequences for offenders, and everyone knows it. The justice system here is lengthy and complicated. The whole system needs to be trashed and started over. But sadly, that might never happen. 

15 minutes ago, BadSpottedDog said:

100% correct! I commented similar on another post like this. You can make any law(s) you want, but they are worthless unless enforced. If this (and other accidents) had been in a western country, all who were involved would be going to jail immediately. So, in addition to consistent enforcement, the court system needs to be overhauled as well. There are minimal consequences for offenders, and everyone knows it. The justice system here is lengthy and complicated. The whole system needs to be trashed and started over. But sadly, that might never happen. 

all who were involved would be going to jail immediately. This is NOT true, even in western country' s their  is the process of Law which can take months or years  you need to stop posing bs