Banking service???????

As most people on visa extensions know, Immigration requires the deposit passbook showing 800K or 400K baht is updated on the day they apply.

Last year, updating was simple. Go to the Cash Deposit Machine ( CDM ), key in the passbook account number, and deposit cash. I keep it simple, 1000 baht. Usually there at 6 am or 7 am.

Then go to the passbook update machine, I have an updated balance on the day, ready for Immigration.

This year, no can do. The CDM won't accept the account number. It demands either a physical debit/credit card, or an OTP sent to a banking app.

Both of which I don't want and don't need for that account, which has stayed at 800K for over 10 years. Why should I pay 300 baht for a card i will use once a year? Or have an insecure banking app on my phone?

Now, I have to wait until the bank opens, join other customers, and waste my time, and a bank tellers', in doing something that took me about two minutes outside banking hours.

Just as well I checked the system a couple of weeks before my extension falls due.

Is this your idea of service, Bangkok Bank?

• Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Both of which I don't want and don't need for that account, which has stayed at 800K for over 10 years. Why should I pay 300 baht for a card i will use once a year? Or have an insecure banking app on my phone?

Not for THAT account, but do you have another account? Then you could just transfer those 1000 baht to your immigration account in the morning, before even leaving home. Skip the CDM machine, just update your passbook.

Alternatively: If you have an ATM card for another account, you could also use that card to deposit money into your immigration account at a CDM. The card is only used to identify you the depositor, you can deposit money into accounts the card is not linked to (even other people's accounts at other banks).

Edited by Caldera

36 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

As most people on visa extensions know, Immigration requires the deposit passbook showing 800K or 400K baht is updated on the day they apply.

Not all do. I use Jomtien immigration and I have a "fixed time deposit" with Krungsri that you cannot update any time during the fixed deposit. I was given 12 month extension no problem.

22 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

I have a "fixed time deposit" with Krungsri that you cannot update any time during the fixed deposit

While technically correct in practice you are wrong.

You are correct that the time deposit cannot be added to during the period of that deposit.

You are wrong that the account that holds the deposit can’t be added to. You just add another time deposit of say 1000 baht. This will update the total amount of all the time deposits held in that account. This is fact my account shows exactly that process.

The practical effect is that if immigration requires you to update your bank deposit you can

However because TIT YMMV  immigration may accept the bank letter without a new deposit.

They may require a statement as well.

29 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

While technically correct in practice you are wrong.

You are correct that the time deposit cannot be added to during the period of that deposit.

You are wrong that the account that holds the deposit can’t be added to. You just add another time deposit of say 1000 baht. This will update the total amount of all the time deposits held in that account. This is fact my account shows exactly that process.

The practical effect is that if immigration requires you to update your bank deposit you can

However because TIT YMMV  immigration may accept the bank letter without a new deposit.

They may require a statement as well.

Chiang Rai Immigration requires the bank letter, a six month statement, and the passbook updated on the day of application. Signed photocopies of every page of the bank book.

YMMV indeed.

Edited by Lacessit