Cash Deposit Machine without Thai ID

I yesterday sold a top end racing bike, the buyer drove over to inspect and pay but arrived after the banks had closed.

I was expecting a bank to bank transfer but he turned up with cash. Which is of course always nice to receive.

I took the money to a Kasikorn Bank Cash Deposit Machine but could not make the deposit as the machine requests a Thai National ID number as and I could not see an option to use my passport number.

I understand this requirement for an ID number comes from the latest anti money laundering measures.

So now I have to make a trip into the bank to make the deposit.

Do the CDMs accept Foreign passport numbers or is there a a hack I’m not aware of?

12 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I yesterday sold a top end racing bike, the buyer drove over to inspect and pay but arrived after the banks had closed.

I was expecting a bank to bank transfer but he turned up with cash. Which is of course always nice to receive.

I took the money to a Kasikorn Bank Cash Deposit Machine but could not make the deposit as the machine requests a Thai National ID number as and I could not see an option to use my passport number.

I understand this requirement for an ID number comes from the latest anti money laundering measures.

So now I have to make a trip into the bank to make the deposit.

Do the CDMs accept Foreign passport numbers or is there a a hack I’m not aware of?

Did you try your pink card number?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

The ID thing should only be if you want to deposit cash, and choose a bank account you send it to, to avoid laundering.

If you think about this, this is actually a joke, knowing that any random Thai number should theoretically work, if all they ask is to enter a number?

From Kbank website FAQ but if one inserts the ATM card it should allow money to be deposited.

Frequently Asked Questions

Which banknotes are accepted via K-CDM?

Accept banknotes of 100 500 and 1,000 baht

Do I need to have ATM or debit card to deposit money via K-CDM ?

No, you can specify 10-digit account number instead.

Will the fee be deducted from the transfer amount ?

Yes, for example, you transfer 1,000 baht to interbank account which will be charged for a 10 baht fee. The recipient

will receive 990 baht net.

Can I deposit new banknotes via K-CDM ?

Yes, K-CDM accepts new banknotes.

Can I deposit money to current account ?

Yes, you can.

Edited by freeworld

6 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

If you think about this, this is actually a joke, knowing that any random Thai number should theoretically work, if all they ask is to enter a number?

Not true.

There are built in check digits in a Thai ID number

• Agree 2

Just now, MickTurator said:

Not true.

Uh yeah, so what, any random Thai ID number would work. Of which hundred thousands are online, anyway, you miss my point clearly. It's vulnerable. 

• Agree 1

51 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Uh yeah, so what, any random Thai ID number would work. Of which hundred thousands are online, anyway, you miss my point clearly. It's vulnerable. 

But then using any random ID could possibly venture into the territory of fraud.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

I wonder if they match the name on the ID with the actual account or will they still allow random people to pay cash into your account - quite likely I would think. But they keep track of who it is!

Edited by ukrules
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/31/2024 at 1:46 PM, freeworld said:
On 3/31/2024 at 12:53 PM, ChaiyaTH said:

But then using any random ID could possibly venture into the territory of fraud.

...and suspicion of money laundering.

• Agree 1

On 3/31/2024 at 3:18 PM, ukrules said:

I wonder if they match the name on the ID with the actual account or will they still allow random people to pay cash into your account - quite likely I would think. But they keep track of who it is!

Of course, third parties can deposit cash into accounts...as long as they provide the requested ID of the depositor.

I was just there and made 3 deposits between December and mid-March.  All I did was use my Bangkok Bank card in the machine and made the deposit, nothing asked of me at all.  

On 3/31/2024 at 12:35 PM, ChaiyaTH said:

I'm not sure what you mean, you can simply deposit cash by inserting your ATM card in it, no need for any ID card. I still used both Bangkok Bank and Kasikornbank recently without needing it at least. Random places too.

The ID thing should only be if you want to deposit cash, and choose a bank account you send it to, to avoid laundering.

No.. Actually not. It is required to punch in a thai ID to your own account. Not other accounts if you did not bring with you your ATM card. If you have the card you do not need ID. That said.. 15 years ago we could use the passport number, That is now over. I find it strange that they can not send you an sms or something or even better.. Request deposit in the bank app same way as you take out money and do the ID there.

13 minutes ago, mushroomdave said:

I was just there and made 3 deposits between December and mid-March.  All I did was use my Bangkok Bank card in the machine and made the deposit, nothing asked of me at all.  

You didn't have to enter your pin number?

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, loong said:

You didn't have to enter your pin number?

LOL.....Of course....to "use" a card as I stated, usually means you need a PIN.   The OP is asking about other documention/ID and I just meant, a bank card from Bangkok Bank is all that is needed by them.  

On 3/31/2024 at 12:50 PM, MickTurator said:

Not true.

See here for a full explanation of the digits on a Thai id card:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_identity_card

But I doubt the bank's software is going to do a look up. Accessing the government's database on citizen's info looking for a match would surely not be allowed.

(Cue the rabid globalist conspiracy theoreticians .....)

Edited by bradiston
  • Like 1

if i recall correctly, a Thai ID is physically inserted into the ATM, then once read a OTP is sent to the phone registered to that ID

A THAI credit card from SELECTED thai banks will also work; I recall that Kasikorn and UOB are credit cards that currently work. i also know that perhaps strangely enough at BBL, their own BBL-issued CREDIT cards don’t work ..

So there’s really 3 options: OTP using Thai ID card, Thai credit card from selected thai banks, ATM card from thai bank.   clearly #1 isn’t going to be an option for a non-Thai, #2 works for nob-Thais IF they have a CREDIT card from one of the eligible banks, so the best solution is the ATM card 

• Like 1

I have deposited money in a ATM using the ATM's bank card without problems.  Make sure you are using the CORRECT bank ATM device.  There are basically 3 types of ATM's - Update bank book, deposit / withdraw monies, and one used to withdraw monies ( although the ATM's are usually multi function - the ATM to deposit has a sliding door to deposit / receive monies )

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, new2here said:

if i recall correctly, a Thai ID is physically inserted into the ATM, then once read a OTP is sent to the phone registered to that ID

A THAI credit card from SELECTED thai banks will also work; I recall that Kasikorn and UOB are credit cards that currently work. i also know that perhaps strangely enough at BBL, their own BBL-issued CREDIT cards don’t work ..

So there’s really 3 options: OTP using Thai ID card, Thai credit card from selected thai banks, ATM card from thai bank.   clearly #1 isn’t going to be an option for a non-Thai, #2 works for nob-Thais IF they have a CREDIT card from one of the eligible banks, so the best solution is the ATM card 

No disrespect, but a no brainer in other words. In order to make the deposit, insert ATM card, enter PIN, select from menu, forget what the options are but ultimately deposit cash maybe, drawer opens, deposit money without kinks or folds, proceed.

1 hour ago, Andycoops said:

I've deposited money into  KTB accounts, not mine, without any card being involved, especially when my kids were at Uni.

How? Just out of interest.

• Agree 1

this recently changed and may be dependent on the amount deposited and my experience at bkk bank in my personal account.

Card less deposit in bkk bank atm now requires me to enter account number , thai id and phone number. They then send a otp to enter.

fwiw you have to do this every time 

10 hours ago, Andycoops said:

I've deposited money into  KTB accounts, not mine, without any card being involved, especially when my kids were at Uni.

This is no longer possible. 

Now, there are 2 ways to deposit cash into an ATM, by far, the easiest one is with your ATM card. 

The other way is to enter a bunch of information like ID number, phone number, etc., very cumbersome.

I remember after sometime after the 9/11 attacks walking into a Bank of America

branch and being told I had to show photo ID to deposit money in my own account.

So it took Thailand 23 years to catch up?

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, bradiston said:
14 hours ago, Andycoops said:

How? Just out of interest.

And when?