Police Locate Suspect Behind Hoax Threats to Korat Shopping Malls

Georgealbert

IMG_6830.jpeg

An anonymous Facebook user at approximately 12.30 on October 13, posted alarming messages in the “Korat Ban Eng News Group” page, claiming they were inside a shopping mall and intended to shoot someone at an unspecified time. The first post read, “I’m in the mall, waiting for the right moment. I won’t say when I’ll shoot. Just waiting for someone’s head.”

Roughly 25 minutes later, another post followed: “I’ve arrived at The Mall. No one knows whose head I’ll shoot. I’ll do it for real, just waiting to see who the lucky one will be.” A third post came 26 minutes later, saying, “It’s a gamble. The Mall or Terminal. Someone needs to be my target. I’m serious, I’ve got a gun. Soon everyone will see.”

The posts quickly went viral, causing widespread concern in the community.

In response, police led by Pol. Lt. Col. Yutthaphong Kokhunted, Deputy Superintendent of the Muang Nakhon Ratchasima Police Station, deployed plainclothes and uniformed officers to The Mall, Terminal 21, and Central Korat shopping centers. Mall security teams were also alerted to assist in identifying the person behind the threats. Despite the chilling posts, there were no visible disturbances or suspicious activity, and shoppers continued to go about their business, reassured that the situation was under control.

Upon further investigation, authorities traced the posts to a suspect, identified as Ms. Bang-on (surname withheld), who was located in Pak Thong Chai District, Nakhon Ratchasima. When taken in for questioning, she claimed to suffer from mental health issues. The investigation is ongoing as police work to gather more information about her motives and the extent of her mental health condition.

Shoppers and the general public were urged to remain calm, with police assuring heightened security measures in the area.

Police picture of increased security.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-10-14

news-footer-2.png

image.png