Govt Plans to Boost Education and High-Tech Workforce

webfact

resize_b63b07ffea2a3841bd315c05a48e8f9b.webp

BANGKOK (NNT) - Prime Minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra has outlined a plan to address Thailand’s education challenges, focusing on producing skilled professionals to drive growth in high-tech industries.

During a recent meeting of the National Council for Higher Education, Science, Research, and Innovation Policy, the prime minister discussed the government's focus on sectors such as electric vehicles, artificial intelligence, semiconductors, and advanced medical technology, alongside clean energy and environmental sustainability efforts.

A key part of the plan is introducing a National Credit Bank system, allowing individuals to accumulate educational credits from academic achievements and work experience.

These credits can be applied toward degrees, offering greater flexibility and expanding access to education. The government is also prioritizing upskilling and reskilling initiatives to meet evolving industry needs.

To support the semiconductor industry, the council approved a plan to develop a workforce of at least 80,000 specialized professionals by 2030.

This includes establishing six training centers and designing industry-specific curricula to attract new investments. The effort seeks to position Thailand as a global hub for semiconductors and advanced electronics.

The council also approved a 160.13 billion baht budget for the 2026 fiscal year, with a significant portion allocated to higher education.

The funds will be used to produce graduates in critical sectors such as semiconductors, artificial intelligence, and electric vehicles while supporting research and innovation to address national challenges and promote sustainable development.

by Krajangwit Johjit

Source: NNT 

-- 2024-10-21

news-footer-3.png

image.png

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I don't think that this woman is the slightest bit sincere, and I don't think that they want to address the educational problems that exist here. Why? Because it appears that the elite want people to remain relatively uneducated, so that they can continue paying low wages. 

That reminds me when I visited a rich and well connected Thai/farang couple. First the Thai guy told me that they have only Burmese servants because Thais are so expensive. And some time later he complained that his servants are all so lazy and can't get things done.

As far as I see many influential Thais want laborers who are skilled and cheap.

• Agree 1

I wonder how much of the problem is the attitude from many Thais that they just don't care about the quality of their work. 

And they might watch 1000 videos about some celebrities, but they don't even watch one video how to improve their working skills.

I don't know why it is like that, but it seems to be very common in Thailand.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I wonder how much of the problem is the attitude from many Thais that they just don't care about the quality of their work. 

And they might watch 1000 videos about some celebrities, but they don't even watch one video how to improve their working skills.

I don't know why it is like that, but it seems to be very common in Thailand.

Unfortunately not just in Thailand

• Like 1

They always run up against the obstacle that money will be required. A lot of money. I don't think there are that many well-paying jobs open for a much larger pool of graduates. The incentive isn't there, as it is in the health-related professions. 'Course, one could argue that more jobs would open up, and high tech industries attracted to invest in Thailand, IF there were an educated workforce to draw upon. Bit of chicken-and-egg.

Edited by BigStar

9 hours ago, webfact said:

the government's focus on sectors such as electric vehicles, artificial intelligence, semiconductors, and advanced medical technology, alongside clean energy and environmental sustainability efforts

Why is it always nothing but yet another word salad announcement of Thailand becoming the pinnacle of success, without establishing any basic understanding or formulating an actual plan?

Step One:  Announce Hub of Stolen Underpants

Step Two:  ???

Step Three:  Profit!

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I don't think that this woman is the slightest bit sincere, and I don't think that they want to address the educational problems that exist here. Why? Because it appears that the elite want people to remain relatively uneducated, so that they can continue paying low wages. 

There are well educated Thais from local top universities who have well paid jobs already.

If they genuinely want to make significant strides in the world they need to consider teaching another language or languages from primary school age......it is at that age most kids stand a chance of learning another language.....secondary school is too late for many.

I would suggest English, but watching how things are developing here, Mandarin Chinese might be a better option.