Current Visa In Old Passport

Comments Please. I entered Thailand on a 60 Day Tourist Visa 12th July to 9th September 2007 at Sadao from Malaysia. As my Australian passport was ‘chock a block’ full I applied for and got a new passport at the Australian Embassy in Bangkok. When they gave me my new passport they also gave me my old one back which they cancelled naturally now my old passport has the current Thai visa in it. I intend to go to Immigration on the 9th September with the old and new passport, so they can put a 30 day extension in the new passport.

Now technically I am in Thailand on a visa, with a passport that is not valid, will I encounter any problem with Immigration for not going to Immigration the day I was given the new passport so the could validate it.

bye for now

roskruge

Somewhere I have heard that a letter from your embassy "describing the events" is needed.

In other words, the letter of your embassy explains that your passport was renewed and the old passport contains the visum, please be so kind.......etc.

I did the "Transfer Stamps" thing for my son last week at the One-Stop in Lat Phrao. His stay (on a Non-Imm "O") was extended in February at the same time as mine. But while my Non-Imm "B" stay was extended for 12 months, his was only extended to the expiration date of his current passport (October). We got him a new passport in July. The procedure at Immigration was very straightforward - one form, no money, wait 30 minutes while details of his first arrival and most recent arrival were copied into his new passport, along with details of his new "extension of stay" date (now February 28, 2008) and his most recent re-entry permit. No Embassy letter was required, however I have heard of others being asked for a letter from their Embassy stating that the old and new passport details. Not sure what circumstances require such a letter and what circumstances don't.