Cost of a beer in Singapore

When I first arrived in SE Asia in 1977 the first drink I had was in Raffles, a 330 ml draught Carlsberg which cost over £6.

Can't remember which bar, but the exchange rate was about 2.70 and that still hurt especially coming from South Africa. Coming up here it was all much easier on the pocket and got easier by the day.

So just been wondering what today's price is.

I recall Singapore being very expensive for beers...   then, when I was spending a lot more time there there were 'happy hour patterns'...   where we'd follow the happy hours around Clark Quay and Boat Quay... (kind of similar to the boomer ballon chasers !)..... 

BUT...  Dubai & Doha takes things to a whole new level with beer costs, yet some places can be found that aren't so outrageously expensive - relatively so.

BUT... (a big but) - IST Turkey Airport.... I had a pint in there and was simply not prepared, outside of the airport beers in Istanbul are not outrageous, so I didn't really expect a beer in the airport to be excessive...   US$19 for a Pint of Effe's Draft beer...   Thats 640 baht...  Most expensive beer I've ever had.

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I recall Singapore being very expensive for beers...   then, when I was spending a lot more time there there were 'happy hour patterns'...   where we'd follow the happy hours around Clark Quay and Boat Quay... (kind of similar to the boomer ballon chasers !)..... 

BUT...  Dubai & Doha takes things to a whole new level with beer costs, yet some places can be found that aren't so outrageously expensive - relatively so.

BUT... (a big but) - IST Turkey Airport.... I had a pint in there and was simply not prepared, outside of the airport beers in Istanbul are not outrageous, so I didn't really expect a beer in the airport to be excessive...   US$19 for a Pint of Effe's Draft beer...   Thats 640 baht...  Most expensive beer I've ever had.

I remember about/at least 20 years ago a fellow drinker from Pattaya was working in Singapore and had been drinking in Boat Quay (Maggie May?), he was calculating his change from a round of 4  and realised it had come to £20.

The barman was watching him and giggling "ha ha you think mistake, think  change wrong" he nodded affirmatively and got "ha ha, no, happy hour half price."