Help needed-Smart Home control devices & Apps

I recently bought a Yieryi 7-in-1 pool water monitor that has a Zigbee interface. Yieryi cautioned that I need a Zigbee Wireless Gateway/Hub to connect to the meter.  I got a NESTHome Wifi/Zigbee gateway on Lazada but cannot connect to the Gateway.

I have downloaded Yieryi's app but come to find out that it is like all other home device control apps, with many of the screens even being the same.

The idea is seems, is to install the app on your phone, 2.4GHz WiFi only, same network as the gateway uses.  Once the app connects the Gateway device to the phone, one adds the 'subdevice' water monitor or whatever after that by pushing the reset button on the water monitor.

The Gateway device commonly has a blue and red light and in WiFi pairing mode the blue light is steady and the red is slow flash. This is normal and indicates to try to pair the app with the Gateway. When you initiate the pairing the app starts a device search for the Gateway device but never finds it.

Neither of the apps I've tried seem to be able to connect to the router. Both are generic TUYA apps that have several types of Gateway/Hub devices to choose from, some Bluetooth, some Zigbee, some BLE whatever that is! I tried about 6 WiFi/Zigbee devices with no joy.

I have to assume that all the smart home devices that use WiFi use the same method and must be very easy to use or nobody would want them.

If anybody has any such gateways and home devices (this is my first try) maybe you can help me understand some obvious thing I'm doing wrong. I can't believe it is this hard to do.

BTW, email and online chat with Yieryi have gone unanswered. I wish I could find a local office but that's just a wet dream.

Any help is appreciated, even to just understand the basics of home control tech.

This link is to Yieryi page advertising the monitor. Amazingly they sell this on Amazon USA for $200 but I paid about 2,300THB on Lazada. The Gateway devices are 300-500THB.

https://shop.yieryimeters.com/products/7-in-1-ph-meter-pool-salt-tester-chlorine-tester-with-smart-hub-digital-chlorine-meter-waterproof-ec-<removed>-orp-temp-meter-for-swimming-pools

Yieryi is a big Chinese company with many tech water products using mesh network technology, so I believe the product itself works, I just can't connect to it.

Thanks in advance.

I have done more digging and found Youtube video on making the WiFi to Gateway connection specifically to the Yieryi water monitor I'm using. It really should be as simple as pairing Bluetooth devices.

It is clear to me now that the app is connected to my 2.4GHz wifi, same as phone, but cannot find the gateway device. Until that is completed I can't search for and connect to the zigbee pool monitor.

I'm fresh out of ideas now.

Any input is welcome.

Maybe a week or two ago there was a thread in this forum about home automation. It seems a couple of members do those things. Maybe look it up. Sorry, I have no link.

Personally, I work with Home Assistant and until now I never used Zigbee.

• Thanks 1