Krung Thai Bank And Banking In General

What I heard and if I am correct above bank is the bank of government employees.

Can anybody report on this bank a little bit please? Is it a “falang friendly” bank? Can one get there all the services that are open to falangs here in Thailand or, would you recommend other better banks in terms of services available to a foreigner?

It may depend more on the skills/service of your local branch but personally I prefer Siam Commercial Bank.

Before, I tried Bangkok and Kasikorn - I still hold accts there but don't use them for everyday business.

In central Bangkok, Krung Thai seems to have the least modern branches, few branches along Sukhumvit (except the big new centre near Soi 2) and very few ATM machines. Staff in the branches are less likely to speak English. Kasikorn Thai, Bangkok Bank and UOB are probably more "international."

What I heard and if I am correct above bank is the bank of government employees.

Can anybody report on this bank a little bit please? Is it a “falang friendly” bank? Can one get there all the services that are open to falangs here in Thailand or, would you recommend other better banks in terms of services available to a foreigner?

No. I found Krung Thai to be reasonably friendly, yet also rather incompetent and generally uninterested in keeping or helping customers.

Bangkok Bank - at least the branch where I live - is way better.

I should mention though that Krung Thai was the only bank in my little village for a pretty long time. So they had developed some sort of monopoly attitude. Only now that all other banks have moved in do they suddenly improve their services for the customers.

The most horrific Krung Thai story I have was that they asked a friend if he'd lost BHT 50,000 from his account. They offered to refund it. He had no idea if he'd lost that, but upon checking decided it wasn't his. Now - do you really want to be with a bank that can 'lose' BHT 50K and not know where it came from or whom it belongs to? I don't.

I have an account (savings) with Krung Thai because they are the only bank in my Amphur (Khun Han)

I used to have an account with Bangkok Bank when I was in Uttaradit (as they have a branch in Tokyo and I figured it would make things easier).I closed the account after ayear because they refused to let me have internet banking without a work permit

I then opened an account (savings) with Siam Comercial also in Uttaradit and they have been really good. Thier website has just been renewed and you cna now add new transfer accounts online without the need to go to the branch each time.

The Krung Thai Branch in Khun Han first refused to open an account without a work permit, then with the help of my Thai partner's copy of Tabien baan and his signature saying he knew me......magic account opened, internet access on the spot and choice of ATM or visa ATM also on the spot.

Did not get any interest on the account, queried this with their call center via e-mail, replied that with copy of retirement extension stampwould be given interest. This was done by sending copy of passport stamp to the branch.

Asked also by e-mail to receive credit advices for my transfers from abroad (local branch has to request them from Head Office) and was told they wouldbe sent by post to my current adress. I find them very Thai in a good way.maybe slow and not the most modern but friendly and things get done eventually. The incoming exchange rates are very good.

Once I complete my move to Khun Han I will also either move or open an account with SCB in Sisaket (the nearest branch of SCB) so that I have a back-up if anyhting went wrong with Krung Thai.

If you have a SCB branch near you I would recommend them but Krung Thaiis my second choice

Thank you guys, your reports are really appreciated. More long term experience would not only help me but others too what my thread was intended for.

Not sure what you re looking in terms of services but with SCB I managed to get a home improvement loan of 370.000 baht.

They wanted the chanote as guarantee.

4.5% and ability to pay minimum 3 years maximum 10 years without penalties by regular monthly repayments

Other services are a visa credit card

I have not used any extra services at Krung Thai except the internet banking

Edited by Krub

Over the years I have used Bangkok Bank, Thai Farmers (Kasikorn), Siam Commercial and Krung Thai. It may be just the branches I used but Krung Thai was by far the best and easiest to deal with. I now use Siam Commercial because of the branch location convenience. I have a Siam Commercial account in two different locations (provinces).