Bad Hotel

cgjtt

I find it sad that after 3 years of traveling through Thailand and staying a numerous hotels, I let myself drift onto a sens of false , you may call it innocence or, naivety would probably be a better word.

We stayed at a hotel near central plaza for a few months. Upon entry, an advance of 20000 bath was paid as deposit. Normal stuff.

There are always little things that come up when you stay at one place for a while but you kind of let it slip, keeping face and all. But we had to put the brakes when clothes sent through the hotel cleaner came back soiled and unwearable. They refused to pay for them until we raised our voices in the lobby and were given 500. This stuff was bought in Canada " expensive"

We found out that we were being charged a higher water fee than higher grade rooms. There were a lot of stuff but this is getting a bit long.

Then came the best one.

When leaving, we asked for our deposit back. not having paid the last month, we were due 9500 bath. We were told to come back in 5 days, mind you they had been advised of our departure 1 month previously. 5 turned into 8 then , a check, it bounced. Sorry we forgot to put the money in the account. We have been told to wait a few more days.

This is still pending so I wont put the hotel's name just now. But if anyone has a comment or suggestion, please due. Thais are great people but Chiang Mai is getting a bad reputation because of a few.

The lady at the tourist office said it best. We loose face, very bad !!

Except for the bounced check, everything else sounds like items I think are common for most to deal with hotels...No big deal, I say...

And I don't believe you when you say she said, "We loose face, very bad !!", because it's clear that you don't understand face, but I will say the Thai women does, and she wouldn't have said it at all...

Makes me wonder what else you made up...

Edited by Ajarn

I find it sad that after 3 years of traveling through Thailand and staying a numerous hotels, I let myself drift onto a sens of false , you may call it innocence or, naivety would probably be a better word.

We stayed at a hotel near central plaza for a few months. Upon entry, an advance of 20000 bath was paid as deposit. Normal stuff.

There are always little things that come up when you stay at one place for a while but you kind of let it slip, keeping face and all. But we had to put the brakes when clothes sent through the hotel cleaner came back soiled and unwearable. They refused to pay for them until we raised our voices in the lobby and were given 500. This stuff was bought in Canada " expensive"

We found out that we were being charged a higher water fee than higher grade rooms. There were a lot of stuff but this is getting a bit long.

Then came the best one.

When leaving, we asked for our deposit back. not having paid the last month, we were due 9500 bath. We were told to come back in 5 days, mind you they had been advised of our departure 1 month previously. 5 turned into 8 then , a check, it bounced. Sorry we forgot to put the money in the account. We have been told to wait a few more days.

This is still pending so I wont put the hotel's name just now. But if anyone has a comment or suggestion, please due. Thais are great people but Chiang Mai is getting a bad reputation because of a few.

The lady at the tourist office said it best. We loose face, very bad !!

Standing at the front desk with the manager in front of you, dial 1155 and say "Hello Tourist Police? I'm having some difficulties at XYZ Hotel. My name is ABC and I'm from Such&Such country. Can you please send an officer down immediately to help us.Thank you." Do so with a smile on your face. Not a smirk. A smile. Keep the smile on your face during the entire events that follow. Do NOT lose your temper at any point. Remember, not a smirk, a smile. :o

Remarkable how quickly all problems can be resolved when they know the police are on the way.

Except for the bounced check, everything else sounds like items I think are common for most to deal with hotels...No big deal, I say...

And I don't believe you when you say she said, "We loose face, very bad !!", because it's clear that you don't understand face, but I will say the Thai women does, and she wouldn't have said it at all...

Makes me wonder what else you made up...

Hey, I didn't see you at the tourist office when I was there so how do you know what she said.

We spoke to the lady in charge and this was the word she used in english. Now maybe she used the wrong word, but at the end of the day we all understand each other.

A bounce check is a bounce check.

A bad hotel is a bad hotel and maybe you are just pissed off cause someone is critisising something Thai. Or maybe you know the hotel i'm talking about and you have a stake in it. Due to my work, I stay at hotels and this is most of the year and I've been to a great many hotels around the world, this is not common.

Makes me wonder what else you are making up.

Standing at the front desk with the manager in front of you, dial 1155 and say "Hello Tourist Police? I'm having some difficulties at XYZ Hotel. My name is ABC and I'm from Such&Such country. Can you please send an officer down immediately to help us.Thank you." Do so with a smile on your face. Not a smirk. A smile. Keep the smile on your face during the entire events that follow. Do NOT lose your temper at any point. Remember, not a smirk, a smile. :o

Remarkable how quickly all problems can be resolved when they know the police are on the way.

Most excellent advice, FG! It appears some people know EXACTLY how to get things handled. Kudos.

McG

Thanks , Folk guitar, for the advice, which along a few other are on this post is the best i've read, many thanks. Most of the time I bite my lip and smile. Maybe what I'm doing wrong is giving these guys a chance to make up and waiting for the money. When I get back I might just do as you suggest. Soft in the heart, I just hate making trouble for the poor desk guy when the owner is out there hiding.

I dont have a lot of patience for people who pay 20k advance for anything. Especially for a hotel, what's the 20k for? Excessive use of the minibar? :o If you do a monthly rate with a hotel or guesthouse then the month's rent is due right away; no more no less.

I just hate making trouble for the poor desk guy when the owner is out there hiding.

Indeed, i think you're on the right track. Now all that needs to click in your mind is the notion that to make his job ABSOLUTELY easiest is to not have to make him keep track of large amounts of money. Pay as you go. Keep it simple. You get something, you pay for something. No tabs, it's too difficult.

what the name of the hotel then?

we used to stay at the Royal Lanna for about a year, water was included in the price. Nice to deal with. Laundry might be the only slight let down- had a few items missing but got someone elses undies instead. 2 sizes too small :o

20 k for 1' month and last month's rent. This is in case you skip out on the last month. If you want the hotel's name, PM me and I'll supply it.

I did stay at the Royal Lana , no problem with undies, actually no problem with anything which is the case with most hotels.

In talking to some of the employees , we were not the only ones getting screwed. Its too bad that this one hotel is showing a bad example for some really good ones out there.

20 k for 1' month and last month's rent. This is in case you skip out on the last month. If you want the hotel's name, PM me and I'll supply it.

I did stay at the Royal Lana , no problem with undies, actually no problem with anything which is the case with most hotels.

In talking to some of the employees , we were not the only ones getting screwed. Its too bad that this one hotel is showing a bad example for some really good ones out there.

at the Lanna, we paid for the previous month by the 10th following at the latest, so at the most, you could only get 10 days free.

I would imagine that most employees in the hotel industry would be on the minimum wage- about 6000 baht/month.

So I feel sorry about the ones being screwed over by the boss. :o

perhaps just name the hotel in question so everyone knows.

A few days ago the check passed, so for me, end of topic. Conclusion, carefull were you send your clothes out to be washed and Smile.

But I have to mention that when at the tourist office, taking care of hotel complaints was not their job but they tried very hard to get us the info, even calling around for us. Big thanks for them and advice on this site.