August 20 Confirmed As Extra Holiday

george

August 20 extra holiday

BANGKOK: -- The Cabinet Tuesday approved the proposal of the Election Commission to make August 20 an extra holiday to encourage workers to return home to cast vote in the national referendum on August 19.

Deputy Government Spokeswoman Netpreeya Choomchaiyo said the Cabinet assigned the Finance Ministry to consider whether the day should be a bank holiday or not.

-- The Nation 2007-08-07

August 20 extra holiday

BANGKOK: -- The Cabinet Tuesday approved the proposal of the Election Commission to make August 20 an extra holiday to encourage workers to return home to cast vote in the national referendum on August 19.

Deputy Government Spokeswoman Netpreeya Choomchaiyo said the Cabinet assigned the Finance Ministry to consider whether the day should be a bank holiday or not.

-- The Nation 2007-08-07

What about holidays in the Christmas time 20 dec to 01 january . Does enybody know about them ? Im comming down to sell my house. Too bad if land and department office are cloased due to my week down there.

Thanks for a reply

August 20th set as an official holiday

The Cabinet approves to set August 20th, 2007 as an official holiday following the Election Commission (EC)’s proposal aimed to provide convenience to eligible voters to exercise their rights in the referendum.

Minister Attached to the Prime Minister’s Office Khunying Dhipavadee Meksawan (ทิพาวดี เมฆสวรรค์) discloses that the Cabinet wants people to recognize the importance of their duty in casting the ballots in the referendum.

In addition, Ministry of Interior will host a referendum fair on August 13th to help campaign people to exercise their rights, adding that Prime Minister and his Cabinet ministers will march from King Rama V Statue to the Democracy Monument. Radio and TV stations have been urged to help campaign people.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 07 August 2007

It's a shame that everyone has to go all the way back to their hometowns, instead of being able to vote where they live, even if they've lived there for decades!

As was pointed out to me in another thread, Thai citizens could register to vote where they are presently located, e.g. owing to work. I believe this option closed yesterday(?).

Regards

It's a shame that everyone has to go all the way back to their hometowns, instead of being able to vote where they live, even if they've lived there for decades!

At work our HR department sent around a notice issued by the District office to all employees that prefered to vote here in BKK can if they fill out a request with supporting evidence of employment. They need not travel back to vote where their house registration is.

The Cabinet approves to set August 20th, 2007 as an official holiday following the Election Commission (EC)’s proposal aimed to provide convenience to eligible voters to exercise their rights in the referendum.

Minister Attached to the Prime Minister’s Office Khunying Dhipavadee Meksawan (ทิพาวดี เมฆสวรรค์) discloses that the Cabinet wants people to recognize the importance of their duty in casting the ballots in the referendum.

In addition, Ministry of Interior will host a referendum fair on August 13th to help campaign people to exercise their rights, adding that Prime Minister and his Cabinet ministers will march from King Rama V Statue to the Democracy Monument. Radio and TV stations have been urged to help campaign people.

Of course it is an unfortunate coincidence that there is yet another holiday on the third monday within a month. On the other hand, I believe that this is a wise decision to arrange extra holidays to get as much people involved as possible in order to have the voice of those that suppose to live as well under the new constitution. This is what democracy is all about: to let the people have a say as well. So, don't be to much bothered about an extra holiday, as otherwise, the same people would complain about a lack of democracy in Thailand if there would not be such an opportunity to let people vote but only politicians and lobbyists would have the opportunity creating "their" constitution. Think about this.

What about holidays in the Christmas time 20 dec to 01 january . Does enybody know about them ? Im comming down to sell my house. Too bad if land and department office are cloased due to my week down there.

Thanks for a reply

Remember that Thailand is a Buddhist Country. Christmas is for commercial reasons only here (as it is now back home, whever that may be). Last year on Christmas Day, my Rubbish (Trash) was collected as normal by the council bin men and all the children went to School locally.

Now lets talk of New Year, and that is when EVERYTHING stops in Thailand for days and days.

Only govt. officials get the holiday. Business as usual for banks, state enterprise. Govt. schools will be closed, private open. Pick an earlier day if your visa extension or other govt. business falls on that date.

does this also mean the bars will be closed for 2 days or just the 19th......

But then each village headman couldn't collect his percentage of each hundred baht note.

Of course it is an unfortunate coincidence that there is yet another holiday on the third monday within a month. On the other hand, I believe that this is a wise decision to arrange extra holidays to get as much people involved as possible in order to have the voice of those that suppose to live as well under the new constitution. This is what democracy is all about: to let the people have a say as well. So, don't be to much bothered about an extra holiday, as otherwise, the same people would complain about a lack of democracy in Thailand if there would not be such an opportunity to let people vote but only politicians and lobbyists would have the opportunity creating "their" constitution. Think about this.

I'm busy thinking about this....

The Opinion

but I am glad to see that finally, after two years, you've made your first post.

:D:o

A fair number of people are not full-time, regular employees in Bangkok (or other larger cities). Many work as day laborers, informal work etc. and would have trouble registering with supporting documentation. Thus for them, returning to the village is the only option. Of course, these are the people that will not get paid if they don't work.

I don't mind the idea of having the holiday but what about more notice? The date of the referendum has been known for at least three or four weeks, so it seems very much like an afterthought. Many companies (mine included) work to the Bank of Thailand's calendar, and right now they'll be working and so will we. I suspect many other companies will open as normal too.