Bangkok Univ

Azrael

Recently an individual that I have known for several years(friend) asked to borrow some cash, I was told that it was needed for University fees. I was asked to loan out 15000 baht, thats a hefty sum, is this a rip off or what? This person told that they only have 28000 to pay and need an extra 15000 is this right? Can someone please tell me the average cost for a Bangkok Univ student.

Thanks.

It's not too unlikely as Bangkok U. is a private university.

Fees depend on the number of credits that the student is registering for. A normal semester would, I think, be about 30,000 baht, but more if extra courses were being taken for any reason. And I'm sure there could be a few extras.

A normal semester would, I think, be about 30,000 baht,

i paid my semester one tuition a few months ago was basically 30 000 baht

Was that excluding books?

yes, the semester is about that price, excluding books, but they are cheap, nothing to really count "in"

:o

You should take care to consider what kind of relationship you already have with this person and what kind you want in the future. In essence, he/she is asking you to become his/her patron, whatever other relationship may already exist (family, friend, serious lover, or fling). If you agree to give him/her the money now, he/she may believe you understand and agree to this, and you can expect further requests in the (probably near) future. If that's not your intention, you should make it clear that this is for one time only. If you don't and refuse these future requests, your friend may become confused and hurt.

Of course, if you say no, that may also put a pall on your connection, especially if that is one reason it was developed in the first place (from your friend's point of view).

Being a patron is not necessarily a bad thing, even if it's only for charity- it's how a lot of Thai society functions, and there are certainly a lot of students who need help these days- but it's not a financial relationship that you should enter into or that you can leave lightly.

"Steven"

Never lend money to friends or family unless you are will to lose the money and relationship.

That exactly happened to me, both times I lost good friends (now my enemies) as well as money. This trust was based on a long time (30+ years) friendship.

The OP should consider if you can afford to loose your friendship and money, then you can decide to take the next step. In your case, if your friend is in dare need for good cause like paying for education, I would go with him and pay for him at the univ. cashier counter on the day of registration. If you never see that money again, at least you know it was used for a good cause.

A normal semester would, I think, be about 30,000 baht,

i paid my semester one tuition a few months ago was basically 30 000 baht

Was that excluding books?

yes, the semester is about that price, excluding books, but they are cheap, nothing to really count "in"

:o

give him the$$ it's for a good cause :D

• 3 weeks later...

I had dealings with BU around the millennium shift, so my numbers are a bit old, but about 30,000 per semester sounds about right. Do note that BU is a private university, clearly niching itself on rich, dumb kids. If you are not good enough to earn a real degree, but you have a rich dad who can just pay to have them hand you a degree, then BU is for you.

Cheers,

Joran