Final Check On Retirement Req'ts

Well, they just finished the house in Chiang Mai, I've quit my job and the die is cast. The wife & I leave next month, after years of a winter month or two a year as a tourist, visa-wise. I plan to get a tourist visa, and within 60 days, have my bank account at the appropriate level, a health certificate and the appropriate form & quantity of baht in my sweaty hand, and convert the tourist visa to an O-A retirement visa. So what have I forgotten? I'm 58, the frau 55 (only the good die young) and there's nothing extraordinary about our situation. We will not work and are in good health. Green lights, yellow lights and red lights are all appreciated.

Well, they just finished the house in Chiang Mai, I've quit my job and the die is cast. The wife & I leave next month, after years of a winter month or two a year as a tourist, visa-wise. I plan to get a tourist visa, and within 60 days, have my bank account at the appropriate level, a health certificate and the appropriate form & quantity of baht in my sweaty hand, and convert the tourist visa to an O-A retirement visa. So what have I forgotten? I'm 58, the frau 55 (only the good die young) and there's nothing extraordinary about our situation. We will not work and are in good health. Green lights, yellow lights and red lights are all appreciated.

You are doing it right. But you will only be applying for a change of category from tourist to an O visa. It makes no difference to your situation at all. The O-A applies only to applications made abroad, and enable the grant of a one year stay on first arrival at the Bangkok International Airport.

You will also need a letter from the Embassy confirming your address in LOS, I also had to get a letter from the police in the UK stating you are not a wanted criminal. I did the move 15 months ago, no regrets. There is also info on here regarding your 90 day reporting, do it right, keep your head down and enjoy. There will be a complete check list on here somewhere.

I also had to get a letter from the police in the UK stating you are not a wanted criminal.

I thought this only applied when you got an O-A visa at a Thai Embassy or Consulate abroad? Are you saying Thai Immigration in Thailand required this when you processed your 'extension of stay'?

Walker,

I assume your wife is NOT Thai, otherwise you would not be entering on a tourist visa, since a Non Immigrant 'O' is pretty much a sure thing with a Thai wife. And a better way to begin the retirement process than on a tourist visa with the hopes of upgrading.

I say this because the converting of a tourist visa to an 'O' as the first step towards your 'extension of stay for retirement' is a fairly new deal. And as far as I can tell from the comments on this forum, has only been done in Bangkok. So, if you plan to do this in Chiang Mai, you may be the first to try -- and with no guarantees. But, would be interesting to see how it goes if you decide to press on.

Comments on this forum indicate it's no problem getting a Non Imm 'O' at Hull, Thai wife or not. You might want to consider that option, especially since you'll have to interface with the Embassy or a Consulate anyway in obtaining your tourist visa. Might as well try for the 'O' while your at it (but not at the Thai Embassy in London, so it's said).

You will also need a letter from the Embassy confirming your address in LOS, I  also had to get a letter from the police in the UK stating you are not a wanted criminal. I did the move 15 months ago, no regrets. There is also info on here regarding your 90 day reporting, do it right, keep your head down and enjoy. There will be a complete check list on here somewhere.

Fergy....I've just bought a house; do you know if it's acceptable just to bring the mountain of paperwork associated with the home purchase in lieu of an embassy letter? And I understand that if I'm "in-country", I don't need proof of non-criminality....true or not? thanks. Also, I do have the photos & will have the up-to-date bank statement & bank letter showing that the funds are from out of country....

Jim...It's a Hull of a long way to go from Denver! But your point is well taken; I will attempt to get the "O" here in Colorado....the worst they can do is say "no", and it would be more convenient in a couple ways, as we're shipping personal effects, which are only duty free (according to the Thai website) if I hold an "O". Any info (besides bitching about the cost, which is too painful to dwell on) on this topic would also be appreciated.

Hi Walker

My advice would be to apply for

a Non Imm "O" visa for Retitrement.

for both you & your wife.

This will give you a 3 month initial stay.

- Not O-A

- Apply at a friendly Consul's office.

Several members have reported converting

Tourist to O visa in Bangkok - but my

impression is that this is a Concession

rather than a "Normal" procedure.

I have not seen any Immigration

info about being able to do this

(Correct me if I am Wrong).

I would say it is imprudent to

ship ALL belongings when holding

only a Tourist Visa. I think you

should secure Non Imm O status first.

(To be more certain on the Shipping

angle O-A would provide more comfort)

Did you confirm that your wife is NOT Thai

- I looked but did not see...

On the other hand as Foreigners are not

allowed to 100% own Property in Thailand

maybe you do have Thai wife and she is the

owner of the property?

Getting an Embassy letter is a normal

procedure - so there is no need to try to

avoid this requirement.

Roger

Hi Roger,

We are moving to Samui,but doing all paper work in Sydney.I know it's a bit harder,but I prefer to be safe then sorry & as we are also shipping all our belongings,it just makes it so much easier & hassle free.

Thanks for your good advise.

Hi Roger,

We are moving to Samui,but doing all paper work in Sydney.I know it's a bit harder,but I prefer to be safe then sorry & as we are also shipping all our belongings,it just makes it so much easier & hassle free.

If you are intending to ship your belongings, go for the O-A visa in Sydney now. Without an O-A or an extended ( in Thailand ) O visa, you have no tax free shipping rights for personal goods into Thailand.

Hi Roger,

Rooo

You are going the O-A Route?

Wish you success

Please keep us posted

Sydney? Does it have as friendly Consul?

I have heard of friendly Consuls elsewhere ...

Doc PP ??

Roger

Jim...It's a Hull of a long way to go from Denver

Walker,

Sorry. I don't know why I thought you were a Brit, as you didn't even misspell words such as 'labor' and 'humor." :o

I note there is an honorary Thai Consulate in Denver, and these honorary types seem to be much more accomodating in issuing visas. You might want to chat with them about the O-A, as this would free you from dealing with Thai Immigration during your first year (except for 90 day reporting and reentry permits, if needed). Several folks have found getting the O-A not that big of a hassle -- and apparently such a visa does give you instant duty free shipping privileges. One guy even got a multiple entry O-A, meaning he didn't even have to go to Thai Immigraition to get a reentry permit.

Also, if you only get the 'O' and then extend in Thailand, I don't really think you need anything from the US Consulate in Chiang Mai certifying where you live. Yes, you provide this info to Immigration, and then revalidate it every 90 days, but I just don't recall the requirement for an embassy/consulate validation. But I could be wrong. (But if you get the O-A, no such validation needed, for sure.)

If your wife's not Thai, what route did you go in buying your house?

Roger....thanks for the advice; I have already called the honorary consulate in Denver and they seemed both very nice and accommodating. We (myself and the non-Thai american-born wife, although she does sometimes seem to speak an incomprehensible language) will be paying them a visit next week. Buying a house is simple; buying the land is what's impossible. I leased it for thirty years and have a contract which asserts indefinite no-cost (for me) re-leasing in perpetuity, with assignable estate rights; i.e., my children get it when we die and they have the same rights. walker

Walker,

Buying a house is simple; buying the land is what's impossible. I leased it for thirty years

Quite understand. I leased the land on which our house is built, only the landlord is my Thai wife. With my lease, all current structures on the land, as well as any future structures, are part of the lease. As this is a family affair, this works for me, as both land and structures will be left to the Thai lineage.

But I'm curious about your legal paperwork. Do you actually have title to your house, or is the house included in the overall lease?

I ask because even tho' I know a foreigner can own the structure on leased land, I've never heard about separate paperwork showing ownership of structures only. (And I don't even want to think what would happen trying to divide the two in Thai court!)

Let us know what happens at the Consulate in Denver. Good luck.

Walker,
Buying a house is simple; buying the land is what's impossible. I leased it for thirty years

Quite understand. I leased the land on which our house is built, only the landlord is my Thai wife. With my lease, all current structures on the land, as well as any future structures, are part of the lease. As this is a family affair, this works for me, as both land and structures will be left to the Thai lineage.

But I'm curious about your legal paperwork. Do you actually have title to your house, or is the house included in the overall lease?

I ask because even tho' I know a foreigner can own the structure on leased land, I've never heard about separate paperwork showing ownership of structures only. (And I don't even want to think what would happen trying to divide the two in Thai court!)

Jim...Only the land is leased ; the property is what in the US is called "fee simple", that is, it's absolutely mine, period. Not a part of the lease, not at the mercy of a co-owner or the government. Mine. If I want to burn it to the ground, no problem. Property, just like a car or stereo. By the way, I used to know a guy named Jim Gant...highly improbable that it is you. Does "Rocky Flats" mean anything to you? Walker

Walker,

Does "Rocky Flats" mean anything to you?

Sorry, different Jim Gant.

Understand the 'fee simple' definition. But when I lived in Hawaii, 'fee simple' meant I owned the land and the house. 'Leasehold,' which is what I had, meant I owned the house, but leased the land. The lease ran forever, so I never worried what would happen if it expired -- but I know there are contracts that say, at expiration of lease, the lessor can claim all rights to the buildings on his property.

Anyway, was just wondering about the Thai legal goatrope you went through with all of this? I'm sure you've dotted all the i's, including having your name affixed to the land title (chanote) as the lessee and duly registered with the local land office. But what happens after 30 years? Do you have a separate legal document with the lessor spelling all this out? And what legal document, if any, gives you 'fee simple' ownership of your house? And is it registered (maybe doesn't have to be) with any Thai government agency?

Sorry to be so nosy, but there have been many threads on this forum highlighting land leasing quirks, and what to do, and not to do. I'm sure your experience would be helpful.

Leaving Denver, eh? Guess you can sell your oxygen nosehose hookup. :o

Walker,

Jim...Only the land is leased ; the property is what in the US is called "fee simple", that is, it's absolutely mine, period. Not a part of the lease, not at the mercy of a co-owner or the government. Mine. If I want to burn it to the ground, no problem. Property, just like a car or stereo. By the way, I used to know a guy named Jim Gant...highly improbable that it is you. Does "Rocky Flats" mean anything to you? Walker

Jim... I have a title to the house, completely separate from the land lease, which will be registered and re-registered (every three years, which I don't understand) in the Amphur.

By the way, I'm getting a physical exam before I leave the states (part of my retirement plan, & free), and I was wondering if you know what the medical certicate that is required must assert if applied for in the US; ditto for the assertion of non-criminality (and whether the med cert needs to be in Thai if applied for in Thailand). Thanks again. walker

Walker,

I'm getting a physical exam before I leave the states (part of my retirement plan, & free), and I was wondering if you know what the medical certicate that is required must assert if applied for in the US; ditto for the assertion of non-criminality (and whether the med cert needs to be in Thai if applied for in Thailand).

Here's the medical form from the Thai Consulate, Los Angeles:

Medical Form

As you can see, if you're not coughing, your leg's not three times too large, and no fingers have fallen off, you're good-to-go. Getting this form filled out in the States would be only if you're going the O-A route. Ditto for the police form, which as I understand only needs to be a statement from your neighborhood gendarme to the effect you have a clean record. No particular form I'm familiar with.

Getting a medical check in Thailand is really simple, and most hospitals are familiar with the forms that Immigration requires (but taking a copy of the form above might be prudent). You used to be able to have a clinic do the "physical," but lately Immigration has wanted a hospital to do it. Doubtful your physical from the States would be acceptable, but it's probably never been tried before, so who knows.

If you're going the O-A route, I'd question the Denver Consulate on exactly what they require (everything on letterhead or whatever). Different Embassies/Consulates seem to have different specifics, with (as mentioned previously) honorary consulates being the most flexible.

I'm with you Rooo, I'll be watching this thread also.

Mr. Walker, I wish you the best and all I can say is GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!

I may keep your addy and email you form time to time for guidance,

if that is alright Walker.

If you're going the O-A route, I'd question the Denver Consulate on exactly what they require (everything on letterhead or whatever). Different Embassies/Consulates seem to have different specifics, with (as mentioned previously) honorary consulates being the most flexible.

Don't believe honorary Consulates have any flexibility on this type of visa, but I could be wrong. Think O-A requires approval from Bangkok.

Roger,

Yes going on an OA visa.As I explained,I don't want to have any trouble or leave anything to chance.People in Sydney were great,the lady spent a bit of time telling me how to do things properly.The only thing they asked is to allow 3 weeks.

All original copies must be notarised.As they want basically a few copies of all documents,a daunting task at first,but as I said better be safe then sorry.

Thank you all for your help,I will keep you posted.

PS Just waitimg for our home here to be sold , so I can become homeless(Ha Ha),

then off we go.

Sydney requirements are:

6 visa applications

6 photos each

6 oa applications

6 medical certificates

6 police reports

6 financial proof ( They also askrd to take with me any paper work for any investments I have there).

1rst set all original & endorsed by notary public ( cost AUS $ 90.00)

They also require 2x original copies of visa application & OA application these do not have to be notarised.

hope that helps lol as I got a bit confused at first.

Now if you are taking your wife,as I am & she is non Thai same applies to her but the banking details.

Medical certificate,

That is a pr printed form to be filled by a doctor,declaring that he/she examined you & that you are free of following:

Leprosy

Tuberculosis

Elephantitis

Drug Addiction

Third step of Syphylis

You might laugh but that is their actual medical they require.

Lop,

Don't believe honorary Consulates have any flexibility on this type of visa, but I could be wrong. Think O-A requires approval from Bangkok

Redwood 13, whose postings here on how easy it was to get an O-A, got his from an honorary consulate. Whether or not it had to be forwarded to Bangkok for approval, I don' t know. I do remember he didn't need to get any pesty notarizations/validations on his submitted paperwork, which be itself would make getting the O-A more attractive. And would also suggest these consulates have some leeway in establishing requirements.

Got our "o"s today in Denver...took about three minutes; the woman who did it is just an employee who knows very little & has never been to Thailand. 36 more days; we're packed, but will not ship until the last possible moment, as we need to have completed the "retirement" categorization before we are eligible for duty free importation of personal effects, and are trying to give ourselves all the buffer we can. Wish us luck. Jim....thanks go to you particularly for all your specific, pointed and accurate advice. Visit us sometime (particularly if you're in the hot zone, as we'll be chilling in CM!!) walker