Is Your Thai Gf/bf Well Accepted

Bluecat

Hi All,

Like most of you I have no problem with my family and my Thai Girlfriend. When she was over here she got on well with everyone. My family was happy to see me happy with her. I am sure they had some concern about her level of English, but nothing direct was said to me.

I was a bit pi55ed off by some snide comments from some people outside my family. You know the sort “buying a Thai bride”. Ignorance on their part I know, but unfortunately Thai women do not have the best reputation around the world.

Have a Happy...

DeDanan

So far so good for me too..... and its nice to hear all the positive feedback for once! A breath of fresh air.

My father and brothers love her and all my mates (male and female) think she is great! She is the life and soul of any get together when we get back home - and is full of stories and gossip.... they love it.

Of course, a lot of the lads have suspicions because of the Thai reputation but any of them that have visited us here in Thailand can see straight away that she is sound as a pound!

Her Mother and Sister are great..... they cant speak English and were a little concerned at the start but as I started to speak Thai with them and treated them with the utmost respect I think i can say that I am fully accepted.

OK, blue, woman's perspective here. My parents think my husband is great, find him polite, well mannered, caring and considerate. They hadn't met him before we married but, amazingly enough, weren't too concerned because they said I had always shown good judgment in the past. My grandmother and grandfather were quite the surprise since they were both very religious Christians and his being Buddhist had me a bit worried. Never mind, my grandmother said, he has belief system that supports him (apparently it was me she was worried about, since I don't believe in much of anything :o ). They, too, thought he was great (they are both dead now, but I am very glad they both got a chance to meet him). The deference and concern a Thai person shows to the elderly thrilled my grandparents.

My husband's family and I have always gotten on pretty well (well, except for his brother but that was not because I was a farang but because I was in the middle between him and his envy of his brother). My father-in-law approves of me greatly, we get along really well. My mother-in-law and I occasionally have the usual mother in law, daughter in law issues ("you should be telling your husband what to do more", "he isn't eating well enough, because he isn't eating enough rice" things like that). But once she learned that I wasn't really going to do things her way and that my husband was happy the way things were, she pretty much backed off.

When someone asked my husband's 90 year old grandfather what he thought of his grandson marrying a farang he replied, "Doesn't matter what's on the outside. It's what's on the inside that counts". I couldn't have said it better.

i am adding a comment to this thread even though i am not married yet to my thai gf.Both my parents are dead ex-wife son 23, daughter 26. I married at 21 wife 19.

the reaction from my son on hearing this was overjoyed you deserve to be happy dad daughter she is only 3 years older than me what kind of a man are you.Ex-wife havent told her yet none of her business anyhow.

I'm very lucky as my parents love my wife. She is the first Thai in our family, in fact the first Asian ever. To meet my wife anyone would love her. Not to get to mushy, she is the sweetest person I have ever met.

On the in-law side, all her folks seem to like to a lot too. All are educated and have jobs so we only support her mother some. So with that said they like me for me not because I am supporting the family.

I'm taking my new Wife back to the UK on Wednesday, I wont have any probs with my parents, just my sister's husband as he is a biggotted racist, we have had fights in the past and I swear if I see one disapproving look I will put his lights out :o

Also some of my freinds (so called-the ones who just hang around) will I am sure make a few snide remarks.

But there again I dont give a flying f##k because I love her.

We got married down South, I think I have been accepted by her brothers,but her Father took a long time to accept the idea of his only daughter marrying a farang, but now he can see that I am no young butterfly and knows that I will take good care of his treasure, as he said to me "all he wants is his daughters happiness," although its a bit hard to swallow as he refused to have anything to do with me, and I only met him at the wedding, but I think he's OK now, and wants me to learn good Thai so we can communicate so the onus is on me to ensure I don't let him down.

I dont intend to :D