Living/moving To Phuket

IncyandMissMuffet

Hi guys,

I am interested in moving to Phuket with my wife in the next couple of years from Australia we are both hashers and feel that basing ourselves out of Thailand in semi retirement is our goal. We have looked at the visa senaro and would apreicate any advice in that regard. We feel that renting is our best option and were wondering on what the monthly rent would be for a seviced apartment or a villa and once again any advice would be apreicated.

Regards

Incy and Miss Muffet

Edited by IncyandMissMuffet

Welcome to the forum (I see it's your first post).

Most of the local Phuket rental agents have good Web sites from which you can see (with pictures) what's available at different price levels, and that may be the best place to start - before you came and look yourselves. ll send you a PM (personal message) with contact/Web details of some Phuket agencies which my wife and I have found useful. We're shortly moving permanently to Phuket ourselves and will be renting, so we know these agents and are using them. The price range is probably something like baht 10,000 to 40,000 (or more) per month for long-term (1 yr) rent, depending on all the usual variables of size, quality, location, view etc.

(For visas there's a lot of info on this site, including stuff pinned at the start of the Visa section - or look at the Web site of the sponsor Sunbelt for overview of the possibilities. )

Good luck.

:o to Thai Visa,

Best you read some of the excellent threads on the forum and then post exact questions :D

As for Phuket, the island has areas to suit all tastes - some quiet, and err, some not so quiet. Make sure you research the area of your choice before committing to a long term lease or rental agreement - else you might wish you had! Look for property above 20k Baht/month if you want something decent, below that it tends to become a bit of a gamble. Goes without saying that much depends on your life style. A house with a pool and land start from about 40k Baht/month, upwards to 100k or more.

It's a great island to live on. I've lived here 10 years now and never regretted it for one moment.

Good Luck

geoffphuket

The price of a serviced apartment or villa i think will depend on what area of the island you will be staying. My advise would be not to commit to anything before you come, instead stay in a hotel for a week or two while you are looking for a place. Start renting in low season also, as you will be able to get a long term lease for less.

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of advice,,,,

Take time out and travel round the island, leave the agencies well alone. Cut out the middle man and find your dream reantal off your own back. It is easier than you think.

I live in the south part of the island, in a quiet, off the road gaurded community, in a brand new (large ) 2 bedromm villa, with modern western kitchen, nice garden, and large private pool.

I pay 35,000baht a month, where as the same property I saw in a local agent was 42,000baht a month.

Bit of advice,,,,

Take time out and travel round the island, leave the agencies well alone. Cut out the middle man and find your dream reantal off your own back. It is easier than you think.

Sound advice at that. If I might add, forget about a hotel for the week or two as it can be expensive 4-8,000B/day and consider an apartment rental with kitchen for a month and use that as a base for exploring.

At the risk of offending people, I love the Karon beach area because the beach is wonderful and quiet. You are not over run by tourists but have many of the tourist facilities, plus you are 10 minutes from patong if you have an urge to hit Jungceylon and carrefour for shopping. If you have doggies, you may find Patong far too dangerous (vehicle wise), noisy and polluted. If you have health issues, Karon is well situated for easy access to medical services.

Indeed there is a strong Hash House Harrier community here.

Check out their website at: http://www.phuket-hhh.com/

What a strange club idea this is, and yet it seems huge over the world.

Any one here a member, how did this start .. what country?

what a strange website - struggling to figure out exactly what they do - drink and run is it? But why?

I'm a PH3 member and Hashing is not so strange once you get past the initial shock of running/walking in the jungle and 'ice'!

Hashing started in KL, Malaysia in 1938 - see here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hash_House_Harriers

The Phuket H3 is very active - 8 Hashes so your sure to feel welcome Incy & Mrs Muffet. The PH3 Saturday run has a bus departing Faulty Towers Pub/Expat Hotel, Soi Sunset, Patong at 3PM (70 :o - Rego is 60 B at the run site.

As for the house part - strongly recommend you rent first before buying - take your time to find an area that suits you. Monthly rentals 15k 2 bed up to 50k for Surin/Kamala.

Good Luck

OnOn

I'm a PH3 member and Hashing is not so strange once you get past the initial shock of running/walking in the jungle and 'ice'!

Hashing started in KL, Malaysia in 1938 - see here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hash_House_Harriers

The Phuket H3 is very active - 8 Hashes so your sure to feel welcome Incy & Mrs Muffet. The PH3 Saturday run has a bus departing Faulty Towers Pub/Expat Hotel, Soi Sunset, Patong at 3PM (70 :o - Rego is 60 B at the run site.

As for the house part - strongly recommend you rent first before buying - take your time to find an area that suits you. Monthly rentals 15k 2 bed up to 50k for Surin/Kamala.

Good Luck

OnOn

Thanks for the link to wikipedia - very interesting - I've never heard of it. Sounds like there's some masonic undertones perhaps?? The drinking bit sounds good but think I'll pass on the running.