Just When You Think It Cant Get Anymore Insane

theseveredhead

peaceblondie is correct: my post was about thai immigration screwing one of their own and an old geezer with health problems at that.

the pathetic fact is that they finally got that stupid database up and running (that was GIVEN to them) and if that never came along - the coppers would not be enforcing anything becasue they were obviously to lazy to do the paperwork manually for years.

Don't worry, they'll manage to screw up the database and once it's down, they'll be back to writing in ledgers as they still do in many govt. offices.

Keep Thailand THAI, as it should be. Western ways are wonderful for me, as a native American. But American culture is not "the right way to live" for all people of the world. It is our way to live, and we love it. But, in terms of lifestyle, there is no right or wrong on a worldwide level. People have the right to live as their culture has taught them, changing only at their own pace, without undue influence or force of any kind from outsiders ... like us!

Should be? Huh? I say let the Thais have the freedom to evolve their culture in whatever way they wish, and if Thailand becomes “Western” then so be it. What’s it to you? Now it could be argued (but I won’t here out of respect for the “More Thai Than Thou” forum members) Western culture is just better in most ways. Many of the charming aspects we love about Thai culture—and take advantage of when possible--are the result of superstition, fear, ignorance, poverty, and a short and spotty history with the rule of law. In any case, why exactly shouldn't people have the right to live in ways other than those the culture has taught them? And they need to have the freedom and access to information and foreigners to find out what are the other ways. With foreigners denigrated, information restricted, and nationalism constantly promoted, Thais are being denied that freedom. The purpose is not so much “preservation of Thai culture” as it is to protect those in power. Thais are allowed to change not at their own (individual) pace, but at the pace that is, realistically speaking, chosen for them by a powerful minority.

There is in fact a right and wrong at a worldwide level, and I’m sure you can think of your own examples. And here’s another surprise: some things are better than others! Freedom, democracy, rule of law, and education are better than suppression, autocracy, and illiteracy.

“Undue influence” can be a very good thing. It can be the only way to get a powerful minority out of the way to ensure that people can get access and feel free to change. It was once exercised in Japan (with later unpleasant consequences) but now Japanese have the choice of whether go to back to worshipping the Emperor etc. or sticking with their Western ways. We see what free people choose. Those loving traditional Japanese culture can study it; those British people who prefer pre-medieval British culture can read Beowulf and dream about the good old days recounted in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicles.

J, I can only say that it woudl likely take more than a sixpack for you and I to complete a thoroughly enjoyable conversation about life - whether in Thailand, or any other place on Earth. Great response, my friend. I hope we can meet one day to have such a discussion. Would you like to PM me with where you live?

Rules are rules. This regulation has been in place for quite a while, so what's wrong with enforcing it?

There's no point having regulations that no one will follow just because there are no penalties for non-compliance.

The regulation is a good one. It gives the government a clue where foreign nationals may be staying...there's nothing wrong with that.

Back in your home country I'm sure ignorance of the law is no excuse, so why should it be in Thailand.

Nothing is wrong with the rule, but all is wrong with the way it is enforced:

they never sent him mail

they never sent anyone to come see him

they never printed circular

and

anyway - yes, its all well known but the old man was told years ago up on soi 7-8 whatever to not bother. and he did not... for years and obviously for years - it did not matter. now they get a new computer and he gets a fine.

That's the same problem as can be seen all over, with Visa rules that are enforced the day before they are published, and on and on.

Quoted:..... There are myriad reasons why Thailand would not be my choice of a place to live, which include: all of the things mentioned by Severedhead; the infuriating problems with the infrastructure (road conditions, power and water failures, lack of proper sanitation, nearly total lack of enforcement of traffic laws); the general ignorance and disregard for traffic laws by the Thais; the lack of dependable, high speed internet service, and the government suppression of freedom of use of same; the difficulty of finding competent, regulated workers and craftsmen; the pervasive corruption at virtually every level of government and business; and, of course, due to my own laziness/lack of effort, the language difference.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

You certain took the words out of my mouth :D .

I'm not alone who absolutely agreed with your statement. Many THs ( cousins & acquientances) are still living in the US up until this day. These are the people who once dream of coming back to retire on the land of their birth. Most of them even bought some land many years ago to fantacize their living in LOS in their retirment.

So far I had witnessed only one couple (out of 20+) who moving back to spend their retirement here. They all said the same...." You won't be happy here, :D everything is so different..." That's true, after spending more than half of your life in the US, :D you would have a difficult time living with this environment. :o

Rules are rules. This regulation has been in place for quite a while, so what's wrong with enforcing it?

There's no point having regulations that no one will follow just because there are no penalties for non-compliance.

The regulation is a good one. It gives the government a clue where foreign nationals may be staying...there's nothing wrong with that.

Back in your home country I'm sure ignorance of the law is no excuse, so why should it be in Thailand.

they never sent him mail

There's nothing wrong with the way it was enforced.

People in a particular business have a duty to keep up to date with regulations. I knew of this regulation myself and the fine many months ago, so tell me how it escaped the attention of a person actually in the business.

Do you realise that as visitors to Thailand we can be arrested and charged for "oversights" of the Thai law (that most of us can't even read) at anytime. No one listens to our cries "I didn't know". It's the same all over the world. You don't know about a law...too bad.

One particular example would be traffic rules. I can't read most of the road signs and can only guess what they mean...but you can be sure that if I get caught disobeying them I'll get fined....everytime.

Quoted:..... There are myriad reasons why Thailand would not be my choice of a place to live, which include: all of the things mentioned by Severedhead; the infuriating problems with the infrastructure (road conditions, power and water failures, lack of proper sanitation, nearly total lack of enforcement of traffic laws); the general ignorance and disregard for traffic laws by the Thais; the lack of dependable, high speed internet service, and the government suppression of freedom of use of same; the difficulty of finding competent, regulated workers and craftsmen; the pervasive corruption at virtually every level of government and business; and, of course, due to my own laziness/lack of effort, the language difference.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

You certain took the words out of my mouth :D .

I'm not alone who absolutely agreed with your statement. Many THs ( cousins & acquientances) are still living in the US up until this day. These are the people who once dream of coming back to retire on the land of their birth. Most of them even bought some land many years ago to fantacize their living in LOS in their retirment.

So far I had witnessed only one couple (out of 20+) who moving back to spend their retirement here. They all said the same...." You won't be happy here, :D everything is so different..." That's true, after spending more than half of your life in the US, :D you would have a difficult time living with this environment. :o

Where in Thailand did you attempt to settle?

It's extemely easy and comfortable where I live. I have 2 high speed internet connections (that's how you get past the unreliability) and all the modern conveniences (and more) that anyone could expect back at home (Australia for me). I have 24 hour gyms, supermarkets...a private olympic size pool...close to the beach...24 hour shop across the road and ATM...a park at the back side of my apartment...thousands of restaurants everywhere I look. In my apartment I have every possible modcon that anyone back at home would have (and more).

Life can be sweet here in Thailand if you chose the right place. If anything I would have to say life is TOO easy here. Not many of my friends back at home have it better...and all so cheap.

they never sent him mail

There's nothing wrong with the way it was enforced.

People in a particular business have a duty to keep up to date with regulations. I knew of this regulation myself and the fine many months ago, so tell me how it escaped the attention of a person actually in the business.

Do you realise that as visitors to Thailand we can be arrested and charged for "oversights" of the Thai law (that most of us can't even read) at anytime. No one listens to our cries "I didn't know". It's the same all over the world. You don't know about a law...too bad.

One particular example would be traffic rules. I can't read most of the road signs and can only guess what they mean...but you can be sure that if I get caught disobeying them I'll get fined....everytime.

You "forgot" to quote me complete! This man is said to have been gone to the authorities involved, and has reportedly been told to not bother .....

This is quite usual in Thailand, with hundreds of silly, stupid, inconsistent and often diverging laws. You are right to the point, but staying fully within the law here is by all means impossible. This ain't Kansas!

Sunny

There is no way I will ever put my correct address on anything. Not a bank form or immigration form.

Sod that.

I always put a correct address on those forms, but simply not mine. Hotel addresses work perfectly when you want to avoid stupid looks or questions from the charming immigration staff. On the other hand, they want to be cheated. Remember the wonderful little poster about the fictitious guest house at Kao San Rd. All backpackers fill it in on the instructions of immigration. So you just follow their example. Rules are rules....right?