Looking To Rent House In Chiang Mai

MartinBKK

Hi.

Im looking to rent an unfurnished house in Chiang Mai for around 20k pcm or less. If anyone could recommend some decent agents to assist in my search and also provide some local knowledge regarding the best location i would be very grateful.

Many thanks.

When are you looking to move? I am moving out of my rented house in Feb - its a beaut; very big, very new and within your budget. Just 10km from town in a new mooban. Landlord is great and very accomodating. Let me know if this is of interest...

As prices are so all over the place, it's better to list a set of requirements than a price. The same (similar) house can easily rent for 8000 or for 20,000.

So phrase it like for example: "At least 3/4 bedrooms, maid room+maid bathroom, no further than a 10 minute drive from town, public transport options into town, somewhat of a yard, furnished, airconditioning at least in the main bedroom, nice (Western) kitchen and nice bathroom, phone and ADSL available, in a secure gated community that has a pool & gym."

Hi, I am a Farang employed by a Thai company to help Farang find a nice place to live. Please give me a call on 0869113434 and I'll see if I can get a match for you. I'll need to ask you various questions about location etc.., and the least I'll be able to do is give you some decent advice.

Best wishes,

Adam

There are so many houses available to rent that you really need to drive to the neighborhood you want to live in and look for the "for rent" signs. Agents will only show you their listings, which often are overpriced as the owner must pay the agent.

So many owners just put a sign on the gate and thats it. There are at least ten houses in my developments of 300 houses available for rent that way. Sign and telephone number.

Pick the development you want to live in or the neighborhood and then drive it.

It is amazing how much alike so many houses built in the last ten years are.

A very simple piece of advice for newcomers is to learn to recognize the Thai word Chao...to rent. On any walk through CM, you will see plenty of these signs, which those who don't read Thai blithely walk past. Have a Thai friend call the landlord and get the REAL (i.e. Thai) rent, and then proceed. I am not putting down brokers, but this hint may well save you about 2-5 k in rent a month. Good luck with your house hunt.

We can help as well check out Home In Asia and/or I can recommend one of our competitors :DChiang Mai Sabai both speak English

An interesting post... I would however advise the OP to look for agents with a bit more grasp of the local market. If he happens to be interested in HomeInAsia's property #407, he would do well going through Chiang Mai Sabai that are advertising the same property (their property HR-07) for 10,000 THB/month less :D

If, on the other hand, he is interested in Chiang Mai Sabai's property HR-08 which "is just finish and has never been rent out before" I must congratulate on his good taste. However, the house is about four years old and has had several previous tenants. The big drawback is that the house is rented out at the present time and the tenant has no plans to move out. How do I know? I'm the tenant since December of last year :o

It is not uncommon in the U.S., which has Multiple Listing Services, for one agent to advertise or "list" in advertising a property that is actually another agent's listing, ie. the agent with the contract to sell with the owner. Justified as the selling agent gets half the listing commission.

In Thailand, where no MLS exists, it makes no sense to do this unless your webpage has more space than listings and you want your webpage to look like you are a more sizable agency with many listings than it actually has. It may be that informal agreements may be possible to share listing commissions and if so then there is a motivation to list advertise properties of others. Also they could be related or have informal or formal sharing agreements. No ethics boards to answer to or licensing agencies to monitor agent activities in Thailand.

There is a villa called 'World club land' on Hangdong Rd. Think that there are still townhouse unit and houses available for rental.

Lots of foreigners rent there with international school in there.

It's about 5-7 mins from the airport.

I think the location and the price is good (I meant price matched your requirement).

Hope you enjoy living in Chaingmai!

Pam

Azayavillas.com

Hi.

Im looking to rent an unfurnished house in Chiang Mai for around 20k pcm or less. If anyone could recommend some decent agents to assist in my search and also provide some local knowledge regarding the best location i would be very grateful.

Many thanks.

Hi Martin

I know this is stating the obvious, but still:

Best location is subjective, and depends on your situation.

Do you have wheels? If not, you will not want to be too far out of the city.

Do you have children?

Will you work, and if so where?

Do you like the countryside and quiet or do you want to be as close to the nightlife and city as possible?

Etc.

Very difficult to answer with something that's useful to you if you dont help us help you, so please tell us a little about who you are and what you like.

Martin

Stay well away from the agents. They are so over priced. Come to chiangmai you will get a unfurnished house for about 5.000 baht. My mate just rented a 4 bedroom for 4.500 baht. So take your time. and dont reveal much your willing to pay.

If you study the replies on this post theres a few agents wanting your money mate and theres people who want to sublet to you. all rubbing there hands for your dosh mate. take your time im renting a 2 bedroom bungalow with swimming pool 5.000 baht a month. good luck mate

... If anyone could recommend some decent agents to assist in my search and also provide some local knowledge regarding the best location i would be very grateful ...

Be very careful, if someone should suggest the Hang Dong area (just a personal, unsubstantial opinion, of course) ...

It is not uncommon in the U.S., which has Multiple Listing Services, for one agent to advertise or "list" in advertising a property that is actually another agent's listing, ie. the agent with the contract to sell with the owner. Justified as the selling agent gets half the listing commission.

In Thailand, where no MLS exists, it makes no sense to do this unless your webpage has more space than listings and you want your webpage to look like you are a more sizable agency with many listings than it actually has. It may be that informal agreements may be possible to share listing commissions and if so then there is a motivation to list advertise properties of others. Also they could be related or have informal or formal sharing agreements. No ethics boards to answer to or licensing agencies to monitor agent activities in Thailand.

Actually you might find some property from 5 different broakers site here in Chiang Mai. So why is this - that is becouse the owner of the property wants to make sure it will sell and quickly. So they make only non-exclusive contracts.

Sometimes the price might variate even with 4m Baht !!! This can be for 2 different reason. Either the broker is adding bigger fee or the owner give different prices for different brokers...

Hello Priceless,

I am very sorry, that we have this wrong informations in www.chiangmai-sabai.com. We just let our webdesigners set up our new website and looks like we mixed up some details.

So now we take the chance to check and control every topic again and hope that we don't overlook anything.

Please accept our sincere apologies. This wasn't our intension ! !

Best regards

Bernd

We can help as well check out Home In Asia and/or I can recommend one of our competitors :oChiang Mai Sabai both speak English

An interesting post... I would however advise .........

If, on the other hand, he is interested in ........