China Threatens To Dump Dollar

all is not well in the land of the dragon.......if the poor rural masses are not happy, it will get interesting

China's Sharp Jump in Food Prices, Which Have Risen 15.4 Percent, Fuels Inflation Fears

The price surge has alarmed Chinese leaders, who remember that 1989's Tiananmen Square pro-democracy protests were driven in part by anger at raging inflation that exceeded 18 percent a year.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070819/china_infla...fears.html?.v=3

Thanks for the link. There was a similar article about a week ago, but once I closed the browser I couldn't find it again.

Oddly, the consensus view on the business channels has been that if China floated the currency their inflation would go through the roof. But then there's also talk that if they don't get growth under control that will happen as well. Since a floating currency would serve to dampen that growth, wouldn't that net out ok?

Can anyone opine on Chinese inflation with a floating currency?

By the way, in the US there's been a rash of safety issues related to Chinese products, to include Chinese seafood. If the worries really take off, more of the food products will stay home in China and maybe curb some of the mentioned inflation.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

all is not well in the land of the dragon.......

355 days until it's time to short China. :o

You certainly have the right idea (i.e. crash after the olympics), but I think that this particular opportunity will avail itself long before the olympics begin :D